Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes Aveda's Shampure make your hair darker?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Aveda's Shampure make your hair darker?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Everybody,A co-worker I hadn't seen in about a month (since before I started using Aveda's Shampure) told me today that my hair was noticeably darker than before (my dirty blond hair has been getting gradually darker for years) I was wondering if perhaps it might have been getting a little more dark lately... but since I see it every day the change was so gradual I didn't *really* notice.My question is, has anybody else who used/uses Aveda's Shampure noticed that their hair got darker after using it?Dave
David M Squires
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Dave,I use Shampure all the time. I haven't noticed my hair getting darker, but I may not be a good example. I use the Aveda Color Conditioners and they do make a difference. Most of the time I use the Camomille (brings out the gold highlights) and when I want a change the Madder Root (brings out the reds). My hair is also a dark blonde that has been getting darker over the years. Though now the greys are starting to pop up. Hey, maybe my hair will start getting lighter again...:-)> Hi Everybody,> A co-worker I hadn't seen in about a month> (since before I started using Aveda's Shampure)> told me today that my hair was noticeably darker> than before (my dirty blond hair has been getting> gradually darker for years) I was wondering if> perhaps it might have been getting a little more> dark lately... but since I see it every day the> change was so gradual I didn't *really* notice.>> My question is, has anybody else who used/uses> Aveda's Shampure noticed that their hair got darker> after using it?> Dave
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:39am
Hi Dave,As you know...I am a light blonde (naturally) and I alternate Shampure with Chamomile and Blue Malva. My answer to your question is "probably not". I suspect other factors are at work.Did you know that as you get older the hair color pigments located in the cortex of you hair will change. Also, the hair will change color for other reasons.I suspect Shampure is not the cause. If you want to boost the blonde highlights....run to Chamomile. It makes my hair gleam. I used Chamomile right before the Portland hair photos. See what I mean?Karen> Hi Everybody,> A co-worker I hadn't seen in about a month> (since before I started using Aveda's Shampure)> told me today that my hair was noticeably darker> than before (my dirty blond hair has been getting> gradually darker for years) I was wondering if> perhaps it might have been getting a little more> dark lately... but since I see it every day the> change was so gradual I didn't *really* notice.>> My question is, has anybody else who used/uses> Aveda's Shampure noticed that their hair got darker> after using it?> Dave
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
I have been using Shampure for a few months now and I have naturally dark brown hair. (with lots of silver!) Anyway, one the horrors I went through was coloring my silver and then it didn't wash out like the box promised. Since I have a bunch of redheads on my mom's side, my hair will tend to get red highlights in the summer from the sun. ( another horror story is my hair bleaching out strawberry blonde during a suntanning session by the pool 2 summers ago but I will save that one for another time) Anyway, the coloring I used turned my hair where the parts were silver before coloring, to a brassy red as it was fading out with washings.. tho it never completely faded out. And when I say brassy.. I mean brassy. I noticed right away with my first couple of sessions of Aveda products that the brassiness toned down alot. To the point of almost being my normal color. Which is great for me because I have the silver growing back in on the front and sides and who wants 3 totally different colors of hair? I was so pleased that Aveda toned out that brassiness and I know it did because it was immediately noticable. It didn't darken my hair but it helped to correct the color that was "suppose" to wash out last year!! Another praise for my Aveda products... Cher> Hi Everybody,> A co-worker I hadn't seen in about a month> (since before I started using Aveda's Shampure)> told me today that my hair was noticeably darker> than before (my dirty blond hair has been getting> gradually darker for years) I was wondering if> perhaps it might have been getting a little more> dark lately... but since I see it every day the> change was so gradual I didn't *really* notice.>> My question is, has anybody else who used/uses> Aveda's Shampure noticed that their hair got darker> after using it?> Dave
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
Hi Noreen,Thanks for your reply.It got me wondering if the Shampure has a tendency to impart a general color into the hair shaft? Also, if the Camomille brings out the gold highlights, it must then impart a lighter color into the hair shaft? If this is true, then is it in any way damaging? As far as my hair concerns, its being healthy is a far higher priority than color... but if I can have slightly blonder color without even the slightest damage, then I'm all for it.>Though now the greys are starting to pop up. Hey, maybe my hair will start getting lighter again...:-)LOL... I love your sense of humor and your attitude toward the eventual. There are far worse things than going grey... mine sticking around on my scalp when I get older may well be the "challenge." (Maybe I should visit Karen's other board... or go to my doctor with one word... Propecia!)BTW Noreen, I've seen your pictures on tlhs... your hair is extraordinarily beautiful.Dave
David M Squires
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
Hi Dave,Well I'm no expert on how this stuff works, but here is what I know...> Also, if the Camomille brings out the gold> highlights, it must then impart a lighter color> into the hair shaft? If this is true, then is> it in any way damaging?I have been using the color conditioners for a year now. The Camomille does not really make all of my hair lighter or if it does it is almost not noticeable. My hair tends to be naturally streaked with lighter and darker sections. The lighter sections do tend to pick up the color more. Especially with the Madder Root. I have to be very careful when I use that. I know that it does color because my tub is stained with little red dots and my fingernails will stay pink for a few days. Also, if I use it for more than 3 applications, I start getting questions from my co-workers about the color change. As for how damaging it is, I haven't found it to be. Though I know that some find the color conditioners to be drying. But then again I am hooked on the Beautifying Oil and use it all the time. Maybe that helps in not drying out my hair.> LOL... I love your sense of humor and your> attitude toward the eventual. There are far worse> things than going greyThanks, going grey doesn't bother me (except those little grey critters tend to have a mind of their own). Life is just a series of events that seem to take you in a big circle. And besides, I have it easier than my husband...he seems to be losing hair where he wants it and growing it where he doesn't...:-)> BTW Noreen, I've seen your pictures on tlhs...> your hair is extraordinarily beautiful.Thanks again. I am going to have some more pictures taken and will send some to Marcus for the TLHS Gallery and some to Karen. Now if only the rain would stop so I can get them taken.Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the shampoos and conditioners. The salon that I buy my Aveda products from sells sample sized bottles. See if your's does the same and experiment. Take Care....Noreen>
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:40am
Noreen,It's interesting that the Madder Root leaves behind such noticeable amounts of color in your tub, on your fingernails, and on your hair, but that the Camomille doesn't. Either it doesn't work for your hair specifically, or it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of coloring "agent"... Given that you say you don't notice any damage makes me think that these color conditioners apply their coloring agents in a non-harmful way to the outside of the hair shaft? If I can get a sample size container, I'll try the Camomille. When I bought the Shampure and Cherry/Almond Bark, I was given an Aveda catalog. I read through it once, but I think I need to go back and re-examine it. And oddly, when I looked at my hair in the mirror this evening, it seems to be blonder than it has looked in recent days. Go figure. Maybe the carrots in yesterday's lunch have improved my ability to see the blond? :-)> I have it easier than my husband...he seems to be losing hair where he wants it and growing it where he doesn't...:-)Ugh. I'm starting to become familiar with this myself. Thankfully the progression is going very slowly...In my haste to compliment you on the beauty of your hair, I have neglected to have ever complimented Karen as well on her beautiful hair, or anybody else whose picture has been shown on Hair Boutique... the pictures are all wonderful... to anybody I may have omitted or upset in any way, please accept my humble apologies.Thank you Noreen, Karen and Cher for your thoughtful replies.Dave
David M Squires
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic