Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGrowing Out Fine Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing Out Fine Hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:45am
I have hair that's baby fine (I have a lot of it), and I'm trying to grow it long for the first time in my life. Hairstylists have always told me that fine hair should always be worn above the shoulder, but I've craved long hair since I was a little girl, and I think it looks great this way.Can anyone offer suggestions for caring for long, fine, delicate hair? (I also color it.) It breaks more easily than most people's and is harder to style. Is regular brushing good for it, or will that just weaken it?Thanks, Ally
John R View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Hi Ally:I am so glad you have decided to grow your hair long. I will be happy to share my knowledge of fine hair. What I find that works best is to treat fine hair as you would a fine fabric, like silk. I have always enjoyed working with fine hair because it is so pleasant to touch and handle. It is delicate, but for the most part it can take a pretty good beating and still look great. First, the most important thing is to treat your fine hair very gently when it is wet. No brushing or pulling out tangles when your hair is wet. If oil is a problem and you don't use conditioner, then invest in a wide tooth detangling comb and/or pic and use those instruments to slowly comb your hair from bottom to top. When your hair is wet it is stretched to its limit, and a little tug or tangle can break it. Since you color your hair, I assume you are using a shampoo for color-treated hair also. Gentle shampoos are my recommendation. As your hair gets longer, avoid rollers, blow dryers and curling irons. Since your hair is thick, you can do some of the normal styling operations on occasion, but the best way to go is natural drying. Vary your parts, use loose clips and barrettes, scrunchies are great for ponytails. Braids of all types are great for fine hair. Since your hair is thick, brushing is okay, but it tends to distribute the oil from your scalp. That's good for the health of your hair, but it might contribute to dandruff and the "greasy" look that some ladies don't like. If you like the feel of having your hair brushed, you might consider a scalp massage before or during your shampoos. A light brushing when your hair is dry is fine. Use a wide, soft bristle brush, and rake your hair with your fingers to get out the tangles first. Brushing will give your hair extra shine. Perhaps you can teach a significant person in your life to brush your hair? Last is the cut. I highly recommend a blunt cut for your hair. Get regular trims (at least every 3 months). Have your stylist do a "dusting" trim, that is, cutting the split ends over the entire length of your hair (if you need more info about that technique, let me know). You will notice that as your hair gets longer, the ends will be thinner than at the scalp. This is natural, and has to do with the growth process of your hair. That is why it is important to get the regular trims and get rid of the split ends as soon as possible. Well, I am glad you are joining the ranks of the long haired ladies of the world. Best of luck and I look forward to further reports about your growing efforts. John R.> I have hair that's baby fine (I have a lot> of it), and I'm trying to grow it long for the> first time in my life. Hairstylists have always> told me that fine hair should always be worn above> the shoulder, but I've craved long hair since> I was a little girl, and I think it looks great> this way.> Can anyone offer suggestions for caring for> long, fine, delicate hair? (I also color it.)> It breaks more easily than most people's and is> harder to style. Is regular brushing good for> it, or will that just weaken it?> Thanks, Ally
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
John--This is the best, most comprehensive advice /anyone/ has given me. Thanks so much.I'm assuming you're a stylist yourself, and you suggested a simple blunt cut. I think you're right, so I'll ask you this: Why do so many stylists pressure their clients into unwanted fringe, layers, angling, etc? I've left so many because they refused to hear me when I told them, "All I want is healthy, one-length hair that falls straight past my shoulders--like a schoolgirl's." They nod and say they understand, and then--to my great alarm--explain while they cut that they are adding a few layers or snipping pieces around the face. "Otherwise it will just hang there, and that's not in style."I'm generally miserable until three weeks after any "trim," when the stylist's "art" has grown out. My friends have experienced this too, to the point that we're apprehensive about going to the salon.Is there some special lingo we're not using?Ally
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Hi Ally,It sounds like we have the same hair type alright! If you want to grow your hair out, I fully encourage you to do so.Fine hair can be very pretty long. It has a lightness and softness to it that makes it absolutely beautiful and touchable when it's longer.It can be very discouraging when first trying to grow it out, particularly if you have layers. Fine hair can be so light that it doesn't lay right all the time (might be a bit flyaway) until it reaches a certain length and therefore the weight helps pull it down. I noticed a big difference in my fine hair once it reached near the middle of my back.To help in growing your hair out you may want to seriously consider growing the layers out. I've noticed this is helping my hair to look a lot thicker and makes my hair look a lot neater. As it gets longer, it also gets heavier and lays right. When layered, it doesn't have that weight it seems to need.Also consider using a good leave in conditioner. This helped minimize flyaways during the growing out process for me. I like Aveda Elixer leave in. Some like the Curressence leave in spray (which I haven't been able to test yet :o( ). I believe ArTEC makes some good products too from the messages I've read on this board.My hair is pretty fragile as well and to help with that, I have stopped using all heat appliances (except steam rollers for special occasions about 3x a year). This helped me significantly. I do use hairspray (Aveda Witch Hazel), but not much. Avoid washing the whole length of your hair in the shower. Concentrate the sudsing on the scalp. Enough shampoo will run off to clean the ends. You may even want to apply a conditioner to the ends before washing if they are very dry, delicate or damaged. Use a conditioner in the shower and then use a leave in after your shower. Avoid combing or brushing when wet. You can use your fingers to get any tangles out and this will avoid tearing, stretching and pulling.My hair is pretty fine so I avoid all brushes. They seem to static charge my hair and make it fly away. If you don't have that problem with brushes, choose a Battalia brush. This site is hoping to possibly sell them soon. I am looking forward to an Efalock pick!Well, I think I covered way too many bases here! This is a looong message! Good luck to you, Ally!Valentine :o)
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Thanks, V.!I'm so glad I finally posted here. :)Ally
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Ally,I have to wholeheartedly agree with Valentine on this one, don't listen to the stylists who tell you that fine hair should always be kept short. In fact, it's at its best when it is long, no more flyaways, so much more volume and depth and generally much easier to care for. My hair also tended to look a bit limp and nondescript when it was short and though it's the same hair, now it just feels thicker and a whole lot better. Forget those rules and follow your heart!Best wishes to all!Dawn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic