Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI Just Read...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Just Read...
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:59am
Hi All,My mom gets Family Circle Magazine every month. I noticed an article on "Look like a million without spending a fortune" so I picked it up to see what it said. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the first product they recommended for hair was Aveda's Phomollient at $12.At the end of the article they listed some other products that they felt were quite pricey but were well worth the money. One of them was Philip Kingsley Elasticizer at $35. It says it restores and increases hair's natural elasticity, preventing further breakage. Has anyone tried this product and if so did it really work?Noreen
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:59am
Hi Noreen,A friend of mine from California tried Philip's product. Her hair was very damaged from chemical straightening and coloring and all kinds of terrible stuff. She said it did make a difference. I have not personally tried it. My friend called Philip's New York salon to purchase it.Thanks for the tips from Family Circle Mag. I need to run out and buy it. Do you know what the date or the month is on the mag?I do love the Phomollient though. I am sure Cher will agree me on that. :-)Take care.Karen> Hi All,> My mom gets Family Circle Magazine every> month. I noticed an article on "Look like> a million without spending a fortune" so> I picked it up to see what it said. I was pleasantly> surprised to see that the first product they recommended> for hair was Aveda's Phomollient at $12.> At the end of the article they listed some> other products that they felt were quite pricey> but were well worth the money. One of them was> Philip Kingsley Elasticizer at $35. It says it> restores and increases hair's natural elasticity,> preventing further breakage. Has anyone tried> this product and if so did it really work?> Noreen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:00am
Hi Karen,It was the September 1 issue. Along with the Phomollient it also recommended Kiehl's Shine 'n Lite Groom and Shine Mist by CitreShine. That was about it for hair except for a Caswell-Massey Scalp Massager. I guess I should start looking more closely at my mom's magazines...:-)Noreen
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:00am
yep.. I agree.. the Phomollient is great, tho the magazine quoted the price as 12.? I paid 18. for mine.. Do you use Phomollient also Noreen? Cher~> Hi Noreen,> A friend of mine from California tried Philip's> product. Her hair was very damaged from chemical> straightening and coloring and all kinds of terrible> stuff. She said it did make a difference. I have> not personally tried it. My friend called Philip's> New York salon to purchase it.> Thanks for the tips from Family Circle Mag.> I need to run out and buy it. Do you know what> the date or the month is on the mag?> I do love the Phomollient though. I am sure> Cher will agree me on that. :-)> Take care.> Karen
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:00am
Hi Cher,I haven't tried the Phomollient yet. The last visit to the salon put me back about $90. But I want to try it to see what it does for my "mind of their own" grays and how it controls any of those hairs that seem to pop out of my braids and buns. I will pick some up my next visit (in a few weeks). I'll have to go back then so I can pick up some more Shampure and Beautifying Oil. $18, huh? I'll have to see what the salon I go to charges and let you know. So far I have found them to be cheaper than any place on the net, and they have quite a selection of products too. I would have to say they make far more money off of the products that they sell than from the hair they style (they only have two chairs and I've never seen both of the occupied).Noreen
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:00am
I looked up Phomollient in my Aveda catalog and it has a 12.00 price tag in it. The salon I bought it at must have decided to give themselves a nice hike up for their cashbox. I will try to find it somewhere else cheaper next go round. I went especially in for a gel type mousse, whatever to tame my grays and this is what the stylist recommended. She said since I have hair on the dry side..this would be better than any other product. It does work really well. I would love to see some photo's of your hair.. I am dying to see a lady with graying hair and knee length! If your hair is lighter tho, you may not see them like mine.. I have almost brown/black hair with red highlights in the sun. My silver is quite noticeable. I asked my husband again today if he were sure he wants me to grow it super long with the silver and he said sure.. the silver just adds some shine.. ;-) Thank God for loving husbands.. Cher> Hi Cher,> I haven't tried the Phomollient yet. The> last visit to the salon put me back about $90.> But I want to try it to see what it does for my> "mind of their own" grays and how it> controls any of those hairs that seem to pop out> of my braids and buns. I will pick some up my> next visit (in a few weeks). I'll have to go back> then so I can pick up some more Shampure and Beautifying> Oil. $18, huh? I'll have to see what the salon> I go to charges and let you know. So far I have> found them to be cheaper than any place on the> net, and they have quite a selection of products> too. I would have to say they make far more money> off of the products that they sell than from the> hair they style (they only have two chairs and> I've never seen both of the occupied).> Noreen>
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:01am
Hi Cher,I was thinking of sending some pictures to Karen for the Boutique. I have already promised some for the Gallery of TLHS so I thought maybe some of my hair down for TLHS and maybe some of my hair styled in different ways for the Boutique. You really can't see the grays in my hair in pictures, though. My hair is still light with many shades of color running through it. I can see them, though, and so can my husband. They seem to be most noticable when my hair is freshly washed and dry. And they seem to stand out more depending on the light. I will agree with you, it is nice to have a nice and supportive husband...:-)...Noreen> I looked up Phomollient in my Aveda catalog> and it has a 12.00 price tag in it. The salon> I bought it at must have decided to give themselves> a nice hike up for their cashbox. I will try to> find it somewhere else cheaper next go round.> I went especially in for a gel type mousse, whatever> to tame my grays and this is what the stylist> recommended. She said since I have hair on the> dry side..this would be better than any other> product. It does work really well. I would love> to see some photo's of your hair.. I am dying> to see a lady with graying hair and knee length!> If your hair is lighter tho, you may not see them> like mine.. I have almost brown/black hair with> red highlights in the sun. My silver is quite> noticeable. I asked my husband again today if> he were sure he wants me to grow it super long> with the silver and he said sure.. the silver> just adds some shine.. ;-) Thank God for loving> husbands.. Cher
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
> I looked up Phomollient in my Aveda catalog> and it has a 12.00 price tag in it. The salon> I bought it at must have decided to give themselves> a nice hike up for their cashbox. I will try to> find it somewhere else cheaper next go round.Good idea! I paid $13 for mine at a salon near my lab, but then I checked out that web site Karen has recommended, that World Wide Beauty site (can't remember the exact name) and they offer it for about $9 or $10 (plus shipping, which isn't bad if you order a bunch of things at once). I put in a big order for that and a bunch of conditioner, figuring that in addition to saving money, I'll save the time it takes to walk over to the salon every few weeks, as well as avoid the pressure to make an appointment for a cut.Speaking of ordering conditioner, does anyone else find this to be the case? I find that Aveda shampoo lasts me forever, but the conditioner goes much more quickly. In February or March, I bought 3 bottles of Aveda shampoo to alternate, and not one of them is empty yet (although 2 are getting close). However, I have bought conditioner frequently. I guess it's just a long hair thing - it doesn't take much more shampoo, since we all have about the same amount of scalp, but it does require a lot more conditioner. Or maybe it's just that my hair tends to be a little dry.> I asked my husband again today if> he were sure he wants me to grow it super long> with the silver and he said sure.. the silver> just adds some shine.. ;-) Thank God for loving> husbands.Oh, yes! Mine is sitting behind me right now, trimming individual split ends one by one. (He does this a few times a week. It means I don't have to get trims anywhere near as often, which means more length.) Of course, in my case, it's only fair, since he's the one who wants me to have long hair. I don't think I'd have the patience or be willing to spend the money or take the time if it was only for myself.By the way, my husband really seems to like the smell of the Phomollient. (This makes me laugh, since I'm really not crazy about the smell of any of the Aveda products except the Cherry Almond Bark conditioner. The rest I can take or leave.)Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
Hi Laura Jane,I, too, go through much more conditioner than shampoo. I think you are right in your observation about the length of hair playing a part, since we only shampoo the scalp but condition the longer layers of our hair. Also since I use the color conditioners and they come in small tubes it seems like I go through it faster. I now buy them at least two at a time. I have noticed, also, that since I started using the Beautifying Oil before each shampoo I use a bit less conditioner.My husband also cuts all of my split ends and does my trims when it is necessary. He is the only person I trust to do it. Now I know where that expression "I wouldn't harm a hair on your head" comes from...:-) Isn't it nice to have someone in your life that likes to help take care of your hair?...Noreen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic