Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedColor shampoos/conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color shampoos/conditioners
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
My daughter who has a honey wheat color hair with some red highlights naturally, loves "Reba red" hair. She dyes it about every 2-3 months and since her roots are not dark, she can get away with going that long. Plus, after about a month the brillancy of the red fades. Her hair used to be almost waist length..she cut it about 5 months ago to very top of shoulder length- Actually bottom of neck length. Her hair is very thick and grows fast. She really misses her long hair and wants to grow it back long again. I am trying to dissuade her from doing the dying.. I told her about Aveda's color shampoo and conditioner. My main question is will Aveda's color system for red gradually make her hair red enough to satisfy her? Reba red is quite red! From talking with Noreen about the Aveda color line, she mentioned that the more you use it the more it colors your hair. But will it gradually bring it to a brililant red? Or at least a red that is very warm in color? Also, I have told my daughter that I think the Aveda color line would be much more healthier for her hair than dying it... I have not used the color line before. I was thinking about it but I really just want to leave my hair alone and just let it go natural. It's been through too much the past few years, so I am staying away from chemicals. Melissa wants her hair red so I am trying to find a healthier way for her to achieve this. any feedback? Cher
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Cher--Hi again. The Aveda shampoos/conditioners are nice, but they only provide a color boost. They don't leave an opaque deposit of color.Even when my permanent red color began fading the first few times, Aveda wasn't enough to save it from paling to a strawberry blonde. Red is also the hardest color to maintain.So I'm guessing--unfortunately--that your daughter won't be able to get a true red just from the Aveda line.Ally
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Hi Cher,What I have found on my hair is that the lighter sections of my hair picked up more of the red then the darker. Of course this is with the Madder Root, and I only use the conditioner and not the shampoo. I am not sure what the other red (Bixa?) would do. The effect I get is that it looks like I had my hair streaked with red. For me it is a big difference, but for someone who wants a uniform color and a deep red, I am not sure this would be the answer. Of course, I have found the color conditioners to be gentle on my hair, so it probably wouldn't hurt her hair to try it a few times to see if she likes it. It does wash out (for me it takes about 3 shampoos to remove the red completely). Sorry, I know this isn't much help. Let me know what she decides to do....Noreen
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
I'm not sure what you mean by "Reba red", but I've been using Aveda's red conditioners and shampoo for several months now. My hair is medium brown with some red and gold to it, and with the Madder Root shampoo and conditioner, it picked up quite a bit more red. However, I wasn't entirely happy with it, because, like Noreen, I found that the lighter parts of my hair took the color much more intensely than the darker parts. More recently, I've been using the Madder Root shampoo with the Annatto conditioner, and I've liked that much better. My hair isn't a very intense red, but I don't use that every day (I tend to alternate it with Curessence or, recently, the Deep Penetrating Revitalizer), and my hair is not blonde.I've found the color shampoos and conditioners to be gentle on my hair in comparison with any other brand I've used. (Like Cher, I used to use Aussie, but I've been much more impressed with Aveda. Aussie wasn't bad, but for me, Aveda is an improvement.) They aren't as moisturizing as Shampure and Curessence, but those would be a little much for daily use anyway!Why not suggest to her that she give the color shampoo and conditioner a try for a few months and see how she likes them? If they do the job, she won't have to bother coloring anymore, and if they don't, at least her hair will be in fairly good shape when she does color it again.Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Sorry.. here in Virginia..most people know the country singer Reba.. and her hair is RED. There is a saying here about Reba red hair when describing brilliant red hair. Anyway.. I talked to her about trying the shampoo/conditioner but she is 16 going on 30 (she has a mind of her own and the willpower to match)..so we will see if she listens to me. I hope she gives the Aveda line a try. I totally agree with you Laura Jane..if it doesn't work, at least it will have given her hair a few more months of conditioning time. Thanks for all the feedback.. I appreciate it everyone.. Cher> I'm not sure what you mean by "Reba> red", but I've been using Aveda's red conditioners> and shampoo for several months now. My hair is> medium brown with some red and gold to it, and> with the Madder Root shampoo and conditioner,> it picked up quite a bit more red. However, I> wasn't entirely happy with it, because, like Noreen,> I found that the lighter parts of my hair took> the color much more intensely than the darker> parts. More recently, I've been using the Madder> Root shampoo with the Annatto conditioner, and> I've liked that much better. My hair isn't a very> intense red, but I don't use that every day (I> tend to alternate it with Curessence or, recently,> the Deep Penetrating Revitalizer), and my hair> is not blonde.> I've found the color shampoos and conditioners> to be gentle on my hair in comparison with any> other brand I've used. (Like Cher, I used to use> Aussie, but I've been much more impressed with> Aveda. Aussie wasn't bad, but for me, Aveda is> an improvement.) They aren't as moisturizing as> Shampure and Curessence, but those would be a> little much for daily use anyway!> Why not suggest to her that she give the> color shampoo and conditioner a try for a few> months and see how she likes them? If they do> the job, she won't have to bother coloring anymore,> and if they don't, at least her hair will be in> fairly good shape when she does color it again.>> Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu>
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
> Sorry.. here in Virginia..most people know> the country singer Reba.. and her hair is RED.> There is a saying here about Reba red hair when> describing brilliant red hair.It's probably nothing to do with Virginia vs. Indiana - I'm what my friends call "culturally deprived". I recognize the names of very few famous people, although I can name all sorts of scientists and writers and people like that. I just don't know celebrities - movie stars, tv stars, singers, etc.> Anyway.. I talked> to her about trying the shampoo/conditioner but> she is 16 going on 30 (she has a mind of her own> and the willpower to match)..so we will see if> she listens to me. I hope she gives the Aveda> line a try. I totally agree with you Laura Jane..if> it doesn't work, at least it will have given her> hair a few more months of conditioning time. Thanks> for all the feedback.. I appreciate it everyone..> CherWell, it sounds like that will stand her in good stead in the long run. Being female (or male, I suspect, for that matter - human in general, even) is much easier if you know what you want from life and are willing to do what it takes to get it.Anyway, I wish her luck with her hair, whatever color it ends up! 8)Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Yes, I am a nerd. That's why my smiley has glasses.)
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
That's ok.. I only know of her because I have 3 kids and my oldest son was really into country music at one time. I prefer historical names and spend my time doing research on them... Celebrities do nothing for me. Cher>> It's probably nothing to do with Virginia> vs. Indiana - I'm what my friends call "culturally> deprived". I recognize the names of very> few famous people, although I can name all sorts> of scientists and writers and people like that.> I just don't know celebrities - movie stars, tv> stars, singers, etc.> Well, it sounds like that will stand her> in good stead in the long run. Being female (or> male, I suspect, for that matter - human in general,> even) is much easier if you know what you want> from life and are willing to do what it takes> to get it.> Anyway, I wish her luck with her hair, whatever> color it ends up! 8)> Laura Jane lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu> (Yes, I am a nerd. That's why my smiley has glasses.)>
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
Hi Cher,Your posts crack me up. So funny.Here is my 2 cents worth on color shampoos. I have noticed that the Aveda Blue Malva lightens just the whiter streaks of blonde that I have in my hair, but as Noreen & Laura Jane has said...it does not get the darker parts.I have also tried the ARTec color shampoos and my first experience with the Lemon Flower was not good. I then discovered that the ARTec color shampoos are not meant to be used staight but are designed to be mixed with the ARTec Kiwi. It says it right on the bottle, but I have a terrible tendency NOT to read all the labels all the time. DAH. I know...silly me.Anyway...I did notice, when I mixed the ARTec Lemon Flower with the Kiwi that it made my hair a lot blonder and lighter than the Aveda Chamomile or Blue Malva.The stylist that I complained to about the ARTec Lemon Flower BEFORE I learned you have to mix it...told me that there is a higher concentration of color in the ARTec than in just about any other color shampoo. That is why when I did not dillute it...my hair felt so dry and stringy.After I did dilute it...I did notice a big change in the softness and the color was a lot lighter than with Chamomile. I can honestly say that I still did not like the texture of my hair AS MUCH as with the ARTec Smoothing shampoo...so I only tried the Lemon Flower a few times mixed with Kiwi. I think it would have a stronger overall color result with continued use.It is certainly worth a shot and definitely not as damaging as using real color with chemicals.ARTec does have two different ARTec colors for redheads. One has more of a orange and one is a deeper "Reba Red".While we are on the Reba subject...what do you all think of her with short hair?Karen> That's ok.. I only know of her because I> have 3 kids and my oldest son was really into> country music at one time. I prefer historical> names and spend my time doing research on them...> Celebrities do nothing for me. Cher
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Kerrie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
I have read this thread with interest and I have to admit my ignorance. How do I find out what the different colors are for Aveda vs Artec? Where can I buy these products?Thanks,KerriePS. Thanks for this thread. I am learning a lot about color shampoos.> Hi Cher,> Your posts crack me up. So funny.> Here is my 2 cents worth on color shampoos.> I have noticed that the Aveda Blue Malva lightens> just the whiter streaks of blonde that I have> in my hair, but as Noreen & Laura Jane has> said...it does not get the darker parts.> I have also tried the ARTec color shampoos> and my first experience with the Lemon Flower> was not good. I then discovered that the ARTec> color shampoos are not meant to be used staight> but are designed to be mixed with the ARTec Kiwi.> It says it right on the bottle, but I have a terrible> tendency NOT to read all the labels all the time.> DAH. I know...silly me.> Anyway...I did notice, when I mixed the ARTec> Lemon Flower with the Kiwi that it made my hair> a lot blonder and lighter than the Aveda Chamomile> or Blue Malva.> The stylist that I complained to about the> ARTec Lemon Flower BEFORE I learned you have to> mix it...told me that there is a higher concentration> of color in the ARTec than in just about any other> color shampoo. That is why when I did not dillute> it...my hair felt so dry and stringy.> After I did dilute it...I did notice a big> change in the softness and the color was a lot> lighter than with Chamomile. I can honestly say> that I still did not like the texture of my hair> AS MUCH as with the ARTec Smoothing shampoo...so> I only tried the Lemon Flower a few times mixed> with Kiwi. I think it would have a stronger overall> color result with continued use.> It is certainly worth a shot and definitely> not as damaging as using real color with chemicals.>> ARTec does have two different ARTec colors> for redheads. One has more of a orange and one> is a deeper "Reba Red".> While we are on the Reba subject...what do> you all think of her with short hair?> Karen
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
A friend of mine who is a stylist gave me a great suggestion for freshening your color between regular applications. She recommended that I purchase my regular color, mix the product, then pour just a bit out to leave a substantial space in the bottle, then she told me to fill the applicator bottle with shampoo, right in with the haircolor. Shake it and apply it to my hair, lathering as I go. Leave in 10 minutes and rinse. Presto, fresh color, but much less harsh than the traditional touch up.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:05am
As I was surfing channels one day, I came across the country music channel and she was singing with another guy. I noticed her cut off locks right away. I personally do not like the real short styles so I am not impressed with her new looks. Seems since Diana died, that short look she started has gone a few steps farther.. Cher> Hi Cher,> Your posts crack me up. So funny.> Here is my 2 cents worth on color shampoos.> I have noticed that the Aveda Blue Malva lightens> just the whiter streaks of blonde that I have> in my hair, but as Noreen & Laura Jane has> said...it does not get the darker parts.> I have also tried the ARTec color shampoos> and my first experience with the Lemon Flower> was not good. I then discovered that the ARTec> color shampoos are not meant to be used staight> but are designed to be mixed with the ARTec Kiwi.> It says it right on the bottle, but I have a terrible> tendency NOT to read all the labels all the time.> DAH. I know...silly me.> Anyway...I did notice, when I mixed the ARTec> Lemon Flower with the Kiwi that it made my hair> a lot blonder and lighter than the Aveda Chamomile> or Blue Malva.> The stylist that I complained to about the> ARTec Lemon Flower BEFORE I learned you have to> mix it...told me that there is a higher concentration> of color in the ARTec than in just about any other> color shampoo. That is why when I did not dillute> it...my hair felt so dry and stringy.> After I did dilute it...I did notice a big> change in the softness and the color was a lot> lighter than with Chamomile. I can honestly say> that I still did not like the texture of my hair> AS MUCH as with the ARTec Smoothing shampoo...so> I only tried the Lemon Flower a few times mixed> with Kiwi. I think it would have a stronger overall> color result with continued use.> It is certainly worth a shot and definitely> not as damaging as using real color with chemicals.>> ARTec does have two different ARTec colors> for redheads. One has more of a orange and one> is a deeper "Reba Red".> While we are on the Reba subject...what do> you all think of her with short hair?> Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic