Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan this hairbrush be saved? :-)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can this hairbrush be saved? :-)
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Hi all!Okay, I know it's been a while since I actually asked a "Hair Care" question. What I want to ask is not exactly a hair care question but a "hair tools" care question....I looked at my hairbrush the other day, which I just bought a couple of months ago, and after removing the hair noticed, um, a LOT of junk in it Like fuzz and "what-not" (you know what I mean -- yuck). My question is how can I clean my brush and restore it to "like new" cleanliness?Thanks in advance for your helpful answers,Dave
David M Squires
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Dave go buy a hair brush already!! ( laughing and teasing you)I don't think you need a loan or mortage to buy that brush okay.You might want to let it soak in vinegar okay.>
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
> Hi all!> Okay, I know it's been a while since I actually> asked a "Hair Care" question. What I> want to ask is not exactly a hair care question> but a "hair tools" care question....>> I looked at my hairbrush the other day, which> I just bought a couple of months ago, and after> removing the hair noticed, um, a LOT of junk in> it Like fuzz and "what-not" (you know> what I mean -- yuck). My question is how can I> clean my brush and restore it to "like new"> cleanliness?> Thanks in advance for your helpful answers,>> DaveHi, Dave! I would like to know what type of brush you are using. I would also like to know if this is the first time that you have thought about cleaning it. Shame on you if it is:)I have acquired quite a brush drawer. I prefer to use a boar bristle brush to work the sebum through my hair and a paddle-style brush for light styling.These comments are my own recommendations and I do not know what a professional would tell you. For the boar bristle or boar and nylon mix brush, I wash with either shampoo or a light commercial detergent and yes, I do submerge the brush.I scrub with my hands or run a wide-toothed comb through the bristles. For a paddle-type brush, I dip the brush into soapy water and rub lightly with my hands. Rinse the brush, shake and let dry completely.I can't say that I have ever gotten a substantial amount of lint or other stuff in my brushes because I was them regularly which I think is the thing to do. You should have a clean brush available when your hair is clean. Everytime you brush your hair you should be removing the hair or whatever from the brush. Don't let the stuff pile up:)To remove lint, you can start with something like a small pin or needle and tread easily on your brush. This assumes that you can't get the stuff out with your fingers. Also, you might also be assisted by some Scotch tape for really small pieces.Be good to your brushes and they will be good to your hair for many years.Take care and it was nice to see your post...Jade
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Hi Jade,Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I've had a bit of a tough day and it was good to "hear" your kind words!My previous brush either seemed not to get dirty, or else it didn't show (probably the latter -- ewww!) Anyway! I just wasn't sure whether they were worth cleaning or pitching. I don't profess to be a brush expert. Yes, I *just* noticed it was dirty. Shame on me indeed!I use a paddle brush only. I bought a boar bristle brush a few years ago but I didn't like it at the time. Its hairs were too thickly planted to be able to get through my hair easily. Maybe I was using it for the wrong purpose?I guess this conversation could evolve into a discussion about the proper techniques for brushing one's hair? My intent when brushing has been to detangle, not specifically to distribute sebum. Is this recommended, to stimulate the scalp, perhaps? And which type of brush is best for that purpose?Thank you Jade for the bounty of recommendations. I will go clean that thing now and never again let it get so dirty! :-)Dave
David M Squires
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
Not to alarm you, but there might be something living in your boar bristle brush besides fuzz. A while back I was looking for a natural brush and picked up several wood handled brushes to inspect at the store. I noticed that some of them had this very weird fuzzy type of stuff in between the bristles. I can't describe it very well, it was sort of whitish, grey-ish looking and almost like fuzzy spider webs or something. Like something was living in the brush! Yuck. Obviously I passed on that group of brushes. I thought maybe they had been shipped from somewhere together and had some type of moth or mold or something. Anyway, a while later I bought a plastic handled boar bristle brush at a salon and used it for awhile. About a year later, I was looking at it and there was the same type of stuff in MY brush. I threw it away, and have not bought a boar bristle brush since. I am wondering if, because it is natural if it has something in it, or attracts something to it. Nevertheless, I now use a nice plastic bristle brush and find it much less eventful!> Hi all!> Okay, I know it's been a while since I actually> asked a "Hair Care" question. What I> want to ask is not exactly a hair care question> but a "hair tools" care question....>> I looked at my hairbrush the other day, which> I just bought a couple of months ago, and after> removing the hair noticed, um, a LOT of junk in> it Like fuzz and "what-not" (you know> what I mean -- yuck). My question is how can I> clean my brush and restore it to "like new"> cleanliness?> Thanks in advance for your helpful answers,>> Dave
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:03am
> Not to alarm you, but there might be something> living in your boar bristle brush besides fuzz.> A while back I was looking for a natural brush> and picked up several wood handled brushes to> inspect at the store. I noticed that some of them> had this very weird fuzzy type of stuff in between> the bristles. I can't describe it very well, it> was sort of whitish, grey-ish looking and almost> like fuzzy spider webs or something. Like something> was living in the brush! Yuck. Obviously I passed> on that group of brushes. I thought maybe they> had been shipped from somewhere together and had> some type of moth or mold or something. Anyway,> a while later I bought a plastic handled boar> bristle brush at a salon and used it for awhile.> About a year later, I was looking at it and there> was the same type of stuff in MY brush. I threw> it away, and have not bought a boar bristle brush> since. I am wondering if, because it is natural> if it has something in it, or attracts something> to it. Nevertheless, I now use a nice plastic> bristle brush and find it much less eventful!> Did the fuzzy stuff move? Leslie
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
LOL!! No, it didn't move, at least to the naked eye. I suppose I could have sent it to NASA and had a team of scientists there analyze it. That probably would have been the most responsible thing to do. Although at the time I didn't feel the future of the free world was at stake. Now that others are finding unidentified fuzz in their brushes I'm not so sure.
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
> LOL!! No, it didn't move, at least to the> naked eye. I suppose I could have sent it to NASA> and had a team of scientists there analyze it.> That probably would have been the most responsible> thing to do. Although at the time I didn't feel> the future of the free world was at stake. Now> that others are finding unidentified fuzz in their> brushes I'm not so sure.> Hi Gigi, Just out of curiosity, what does LOL mean? Leslie
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
Its one of those geeky internet terms. It means I Laughed Out Loud when I read your posting.>
jade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:04am
> Hi Jade,> Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I've had> a bit of a tough day and it was good to "hear"> your kind words!> My previous brush either seemed not to get> dirty, or else it didn't show (probably the latter> -- ewww!) Anyway! I just wasn't sure whether they> were worth cleaning or pitching. I don't profess> to be a brush expert. Yes, I *just* noticed it> was dirty. Shame on me indeed!> I use a paddle brush only. I bought a boar> bristle brush a few years ago but I didn't like> it at the time. Its hairs were too thickly planted> to be able to get through my hair easily. Maybe> I was using it for the wrong purpose?> I guess this conversation could evolve into> a discussion about the proper techniques for brushing> one's hair? My intent when brushing has been to> detangle, not specifically to distribute sebum.> Is this recommended, to stimulate the scalp, perhaps?> And which type of brush is best for that purpose?> Since we have a similar hair type, I will tell you about my experience. I use a wide-toothed comb for all my detangling-whether my hair is wet or dry. I use the paddle-style brush for styling. The boar bristle brush is superior stimulating the scalp. I think it is the best. Dave, distribute some sebum through your scalp:) Your hair is already super shiny from the picture I saw, but yes, the boar bristle brush does distribute the sebum to maintain an excellent shine. Likewise, with a fairly even distribution of the sebum, there are fewer split ends. I don't know whether that is a problem for you. Over a year ago, I had too many and through a process of a resolve to reduce them to nil, I found that the boar bristle brushing showed a marked improvement.Happy Brushing, Dave:)Jade> Thank you Jade for the bounty of recommendations.> I will go clean that thing now and never again> let it get so dirty! :-)> Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic