Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked@#!!#%&***&

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: @#!!#%&***&
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
WELL, IT HAPPENED AGAIN... I MADE A FRIEND AT A NEW TEMPORARY JOB I JUST STARTED. I REALLY THINK SHE IS A NICE PERSON AND DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD, BUT SHE DID! TODAY SHE MADE A COMMENT THAT I HAVE PROBABLY NEVER CUT MY HAIR (CURRENTLY IT IS WAIST LENGTH). WHAT CAME TO FOLLOW WAS NOT A COMPLIMENT. I AM 33 AND SHE IS AS WELL. SHE SAID I SHOULD CUT MY HAIR TO SHOULDER LENGTH TO GIVE IT "A STYLE". ALSO, SHE INFORMED ME THAT AS A WOMAN GETS OLDER SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE LONG HAIR BECAUSE IT MAKES HER LOOK"HAGGARD AND DOES NOTHING FOR HER APPEARANCE". WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY I CLAMMED UP FOR QUITE A WHILE AFTER THAT. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT CAME OUT OF HER MOUTH. IT REALLY DESTROYED MY MOOD. EVEN IF SHE WAS THINKING SUCH A RIDICULOUS THING I DON'T THINK SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SO IGNORANT AS TO SAY IT OUT LOUD. I KNOW IT SHOULDN'T MAKE ME FEEL BAD BECAUSE I KNOW BETTER AS YOU ALL DO OR MOST OF YOU, BUT AS THEY SAY I AM ONLY HUMAN. LESLIE
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
It's definitely the attitude out there.. maybe this lady (trying to give her the benefit of the doubt) really feels this but like you said, saying it out loud was not nice. Especially since you seem to like your hair and obviously was not looking for someone's opinion on how to cut your hair. Truly, I am sorry you got your feelings hurt.. Maybe it's just jealousy.. consider the source. Certainly a woman can look haggardly if she lets herself go no matter what her hair length. And as a woman grows older.. much older than 33 of course, she will need to do different styles with her long hair to make herself look more in line with her age group.. Some styles we did as younger women ..we cannot do as we grow older. The styles I wear now, my grandmom wouldn't.. etc. But the issue here is a person who offended you.. and truly I am sorry you had a bad day.. This issue has been discussed here before and I am sure you will get much response to this.. cheers.. Cher> WELL, IT HAPPENED AGAIN... I MADE A FRIEND> AT A NEW TEMPORARY JOB I JUST STARTED. I REALLY> THINK SHE IS A NICE PERSON AND DIDN'T MEAN TO> MAKE ME FEEL BAD, BUT SHE DID! TODAY SHE MADE> A COMMENT THAT I HAVE PROBABLY NEVER CUT MY HAIR> (CURRENTLY IT IS WAIST LENGTH). WHAT CAME TO FOLLOW> WAS NOT A COMPLIMENT. I AM 33 AND SHE IS AS WELL.> SHE SAID I SHOULD CUT MY HAIR TO SHOULDER LENGTH> TO GIVE IT "A STYLE". ALSO, SHE INFORMED> ME THAT AS A WOMAN GETS OLDER SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE> LONG HAIR BECAUSE IT MAKES HER LOOK"HAGGARD> AND DOES NOTHING FOR HER APPEARANCE". WELL> NEEDLESS TO SAY I CLAMMED UP FOR QUITE A WHILE> AFTER THAT. I COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT CAME OUT OF> HER MOUTH. IT REALLY DESTROYED MY MOOD. EVEN IF> SHE WAS THINKING SUCH A RIDICULOUS THING I DON'T> THINK SHE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SO IGNORANT AS TO SAY> IT OUT LOUD. I KNOW IT SHOULDN'T MAKE ME FEEL> BAD BECAUSE I KNOW BETTER AS YOU ALL DO OR MOST> OF YOU, BUT AS THEY SAY I AM ONLY HUMAN. LESLIE>>
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
Leslie,The insensitivity of some people amazes me. And I'm a guy! ;-)When it comes to hair, those of us with long hair may be more sensitive to others, perhaps in part because most of us have often been "blessed" before with the same types of rude, unkind, and thoughtless comments.Do you ever wonder just where this person -- and the countless others like her -- get the gall to profess to be such "style" experts? Might it be that they have been brainwashed by the styling industry, which uses the media (TV, magazines, etc) as a vehicle to convey their messages, so that most people have come to believe in the "infallability" of the "truth" of their "wisdom?" The criticism provided by your new "friend" sounds exactly like the same old tired yarn repeated over and over again by so many. If they "succeed" in beating down your spirit, you may end up feeling compelled to turn to professional stylists for hairstyle advice -- and a trendy haircut. The industry does not promote the interests of mental well-being or true beauty. The industry promotes the increase of its income. It has succeeded in marketing itself so well that those who gain no economic benefit (such as your new "friend") have become active spokespeople for their cause!I'm not saying that the industry is full of bad people. On the contrary, they are probably mostly good people. The point is that they may feel that their income would be threatened if most women just said, "Well, forget it, I'm giving up on the perms/colorings/frequent haircuts and just letting it grow long." And in order to "combat" the natural appeal of beautiful long hair, they seek to sell the idea that long hair is "bad," so as to dissuade those who might otherwise want to wear it long, and to discourage those who do wear it long so that they relent and just "give up." The question is, are you, individually, going to stand up for yourself, for what you like and for what you believe in?I wonder why the industry, if it's concerned with its prosperity, doesn't seek to cater to the wishes and desires of ALL of its potential customers, instead of trying to herd them into short hairstyles. Perhaps if they invested some creative energy into styling long hair, the range of services that they could provide would be expanded and would therefore appeal to a broader customer base.Dave
David M Squires
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
> Gosh! The same thing (almost) happened to me a while back! Tho' the comment was a "for future thought" kind of thing. I sure as heck don't look "old" now! I was told that as you age, unless you are lucky enough to retain a "youthful" face, long hair makes a woman look "haggard" and "draws your face down". I can see that, if you didn't take care of your hair and didn't brush it or wash it! Yeah, that'd make *anybody* look haggard! You *can* have long hair and style too! I wear bangs with poufed-up top layers and pull my hair up on top with a jaw clip (or fancy barette). I also wear my (*almost* waist-length) hair slicked back (leaving my bangs and top as as usual) and pull it into a ponytail and affix with hair bungee. I then take two sections (top and bottom) and braid each one and twist together and affix with a hair bungee. There is *no way* anyone could say that style "drags my face down"! It's a nice change from the usual "mane" of naturally curly hair I usually wear. There are SO MANY examples of great-looking women that have both long hair and "a little age on them" :-) Stevie Nicks, Tawney Kittaen, Cher, Jane Seymour, Goldie Hawn, Nancy Wilson, Rosie (something) a model, Rene Russo, etc.. Don't let it get to you! And don't cut your hair!Chin up! JM :-)
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
>> Chin up! JM :-)
wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
O.K. I understand your frustration. But I hope you won't down all of us short haired woman. Mine is short not because I want it that way. Maybe she was envious of your hair.(Maybe not)I personally believe short long, hair we're all beautiful please don't dispair it really only matters what you think.....I also want to say you all are giving me the encouragement I need to grow my hair. Thank, Wendy>> Chin up! JM :-)
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
Why is your hair short if you don't want it that way.. just wondering.. Cheryl> O.K. I understand your frustration. But I> hope you won't down all of us short haired woman.> Mine is short not because I want it that way.> Maybe she was envious of your hair.(Maybe not)I> personally believe short long, hair we're all> beautiful please don't dispair it really only> matters what you think.....I also want to say> you all are giving me the encouragement I need> to grow my hair. Thank, Wendy
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
Hello,Your long hair makes you an induvidual. It also makes you the target of someone else's comments. Those who "do not" or "can't have" find pleasure in talking down to those who have what they want. Your hair is a beautiful part of your body, and no one can tell you your body looks awful. At 33 years old, you are by no means old. I hope that nonsense by jealous induviduals do not have an impact on your self-esteem. I do hope that it makes you stronger and more determined. It took many years to achieve this look of beauty, so you have shown the rest of the world you are a very determined person! Please don't ever shoot back comments to this person, it seems as it is what she wants. If you did cut your hair, it will prove to her that you took her seriously and we all know, she does not deserve that with her comments.Happy Growing, Jenna
wendy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:07am
> Why is your hair short if you don't want> it that way.. just wondering.. CherylDo to medical reasons. but I am in the process of growing it.....Wendy
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:08am
The saddest part about comments such as the one from this rather rude lady is not even so much the blind advocacy of one hair length over another for purely arbitrary or ridiculously illogical reasons, but its that people can't seem to enjoy the vast array of individuality that is the human race. Everyone should feel free to choose what's right for them, long or short, young or old and should NOT feel free to pressure others into embracing what is really just their own personal choice as if that choice also applies to anyone else. I'm sorry you were hurt Leslie, but you shouldn't be. Just smile and let people like that babble, they are only displaying their own limitations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic