Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Tips for Cutting curly hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Tips for Cutting curly hair?
    Posted: May 11 2003 at 3:35pm
Hi .I'm a hairdresser that has just gone out on the floor. I am pretty good with hair cuts but dread doing curly hair. I cut my aunt's hair a while back and it turned into a pyramid . I am glad she is related.Does anyone have tips or suggestions for schools I could go to (like Toni and Guy or Paul Mitchell) for cutting curly hair? I would sure apprecite and so would my potential curyl haired clients!
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 10:41pm
Hi,

Cutting curly hair can be difficult but with practice it will become like another workof art for you.

One thing to remember, curly hair and permed hair react very differently. With curly hair, if you make any mistakes of unevenness it will tell on you. There will be a big deep wave where the mistake is or it may flip the wrong way.

Shaking the hair to study its curl patterns help also. You may have a client where one side of the nape of the neck is curlier than the other. In this case you may want to cut the curlier side a hair shorter.

As far as good educators for curly hair, Ouidad is the best. I have personally not taken any of her classes, but I would love to. I have read alot about her and she is the best. I would look into it by going to her website at Ouidad.com.

Hang in there, you always get better and better with time. You never learn it all and if you think you have, you will began to decline in your skills and technical ability. Hairstyling is an ever learning carreer, which is one of the many aspects I love about it.

Good Luck
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 12:12pm
Hi Lala & LiliBeach,

Lili is correct that Ouidad does have a training course that she offers in NYC. I believe that there are possibly some salons now that can also do the training and I am aware of one salon in Virginia, Elie Elie that has done a lot of Ouidad training. I have talked to Ouidad on the phone and emailed with some of the people that run her business. She is a doll. Very kind and talented lady.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic