Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need advice from the experts....My daughters both say!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNeed advice from the experts....My daughters both say!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bonnie...Not the hurricane! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnie...Not the hurricane! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice from the experts....My daughters both say!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
I am 49 now ,had shoulder length hair all my life. My two daughters are under the opinion that older women shouldn't wear their hair long. Do mature women look better with shorter hair?
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
Oooo Bonnie, favorite board topic here!First of all tell your daughters that shoulder length hair could hardly be considered long. Just how short would they have you cut it? I'm almost 40 and have hair to my knees and plan to keep it that way till the very end. You'll find lots of other gals here with long hair too, Karen and Noreen just to name two, who are past 40 and have no intentions of cutting their super long tresses. The critical issue is not should ALL women have long hair, or should ALL women have short, but should you go against your own personal preferences because of some arbitrary social convention. Its wrong for your daughters to propose you do that, just as it would be wrong for me to tell some woman she's less of a woman with short hair. Do what you want, its your head. Older women (and everyone else too!) look best with the hair that they WANT, not the hair someone else dictates.Looking forward to the barrage of responses on this one!Best wishes to all,Dawn
Hairbrain View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
Most of the time, yes! And if two people who love you say you need a haircut, why wait, go for it! One of the things I fall back on when talking about a new or different look...."Do you wear the same clothes you wore 20 years ago?" lol!!!> I am 49 now ,had shoulder length hair all> my life. My two daughters are under the opinion> that older women shouldn't wear their hair long.> Do mature women look better with shorter hair?>
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
Hi Bonnie,I have to agree with Dawn on this issue. Not becuase I have long hair, but because I truly beleive that it is important for each person to decide what is best for themselves. I think it unfair for anyone, whether they care for you or not and no matter how well intentioned their advice is, to tell you how to look. I am sure that your daughters would not appreciate you telling them how they should dress or wear their hair. Just like you they are individuals and so is their look.As for not wearing clothes that we wore 20 years ago, well that isn't true either. Some things are classics and never go out of style.Take care, Noreen> I am 49 now ,had shoulder length hair all> my life. My two daughters are under the opinion> that older women shouldn't wear their hair long.> Do mature women look better with shorter hair?>
Jasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
Wear your hair the way you want to. Karen, Noreen and Cher are all beautiful women and have long to really long hair. They are all close to or over 40.Jane Fonda has longer hair and she is over 50. She looks stunning.Tell your daughters to mind their own business.Jas> I am 49 now ,had shoulder length hair all> my life. My two daughters are under the opinion> that older women shouldn't wear their hair long.> Do mature women look better with shorter hair?>
Rap View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:20am
When a 40+ client has had long hair ever since high school, it will be tough for them to let it go. But they came to me for a reason, whether it be their friends or family having suggested they need an update. The argument usually goes, "But I've had it this way for X number of years..." All the more reason to change.Bonnie, you'll be surprised at the difference it will make in your appearance. You'll wonder why you waited so long. It will take years off!~*Rap*~> Most of the time, yes! And if two people> who love you say you need a haircut, why wait,> go for it! One of the things I fall back on when> talking about a new or different look...."Do> you wear the same clothes you wore 20 years ago?"> lol!!!
Stephen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:21am
Dawn,And what do YOU want? You're the one walking around with it all day. For once, be selfish and think what image you like to portrait
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:21am
> Dawn,> And what do YOU want? You're the one walking> around with it all day. For once, be selfish and> think what image you like to portraitI can't even imagine what on earth this post is supposed to mean and I'm only responding because its written directly to me. Stephen, are you thinking I'm the one asking for hair advice? That was Bonnie. Walking around with what? Be selfish? Huh? Image? Huh? You lost me.Dawn
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:21am
You are so right Noreen! In point of fact not only do I proudly wear my hair the same as I have for more than 20 years I also have lots of sweaters, blazers and other pieces of clothing that are just as contemporary today as they've been for all the years I've been wearing them. If you fashion mavens would pay more attention (or perhaps get a few more years under your belts) you would realize that fashion is quite cyclical and whats in now will be out tomorrow only to come back around again. As an example, note the current trend in bellbottoms! I just wait out the cycles and rotate the closet accordingly! Quality endures, everything else is just fad.Best wishes to all!Dawn
Hair Boutique View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Boutique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:21am
Hair Talk is designed around the belief that everyone should have the right to wear their hair the way they want to. It is also designed as a forum for mutual conversations about hair.Hair Talk is not designed for people to promote their own private and personal agenda. This board is designed for mutual discussion.It has come to our attention that the same person (Bonnie, Joan, Hairbrain, Marie & Karen (not Karen Shelton) posted under several names from the same IP address. We have deleted all posts that we felt were designed to be baiting, promoting private agendas or inappropriate for the focus of Hair Talk. We will continue to do so, as we have always done in the past.This same person has also posted under Karen but either does not use an address or may use NancyDrew as the email address. This is not Hair Boutique's Karen.We do not wish to censor this board and want to encourage the loving and supportive attitude that is normally present on Hair Talk. However, we will continue to remove postings that are one-sided and promote one's person's private agenda.I apologize for any problems this may cause our loyal and devoted Hair Talk visitors.Karen & Jeff Webmasters Hair Boutique> I am 49 now ,had shoulder length hair all> my life. My two daughters are under the opinion> that older women shouldn't wear their hair long.> Do mature women look better with shorter hair?>
theresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:21am
Why is it that people always want to stir up crap? I guess because they are unhappy people and can't let other people just enjoy themselves.Hair Talk is such a great place. I guess it is only natural that outsiders would want to ruin it by stirring things up.Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.Theresa> Hair Talk is designed around the belief that> everyone should have the right to wear their hair> the way they want to. It is also designed as a> forum for mutual conversations about hair.> Hair Talk is not designed for people to promote> their own private and personal agenda. This board> is designed for mutual discussion.> It has come to our attention that the same> person (Bonnie, Joan, Hairbrain, Marie & Karen> (not Karen Shelton) posted under several names> from the same IP address. We have deleted all> posts that we felt were designed to be baiting,> promoting private agendas or inappropriate for> the focus of Hair Talk. We will continue to do> so, as we have always done in the past.> This same person has also posted under Karen> but either does not use an address or may use> NancyDrew as the email address. This is not Hair> Boutique's Karen.> We do not wish to censor this board and want> to encourage the loving and supportive attitude> that is normally present on Hair Talk. However,> we will continue to remove postings that are one-sided> and promote one's person's private agenda.> I apologize for any problems this may cause> our loyal and devoted Hair Talk visitors.> Karen & Jeff Webmasters Hair Boutique>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic