Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes Anyone Remember Spoolies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Anyone Remember Spoolies?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:23am
First of all I save EVERYTHING. I have major packratitis. Then I save everything twice if it is hair related.I am cleaning out my office at work and found an old beauty magazine (1991) with an article about Spoolies. I about flipped. There was even a photo of the little rollers. So funny.They were like little mushrooms and they were made by Conair and they costs $47.99. They were little air rollers that eliminated the need...supposedly for pins and clips. The instructions with the article say:"Simply roll up hair on the heated spools, snap the tops down and lock in the curl. You will get soft, bouncy, head-tuning locks"What a hoot.Does anyone still have any of these? I never had any, but a friend did. They just looked so strange. I am not sure how they worked.Share please...any memories of Spoolies. :-)Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Karla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:24am
I do remember them. I got them for Christmas one year and they looked really strange in my hair. They worked OK but looked more goofey than anything else. I love this nostalgia stuff.Now here is one for you. Do you remember the pink sponge roolers with the weird pink plastic clip that snapped in place and help them on your head? They were totally useless because they did not stay in your hair very well. But they were the hottest thing going.Thanks for the walk down memory lane.Karla> First of all I save EVERYTHING. I have major> packratitis. Then I save everything twice if it is> hair related.> I am cleaning out my office at work and found an old> beauty magazine (1991) with an article about Spoolies.> I about flipped. There was even a photo of the little> rollers. So funny.> They were like little mushrooms and they were made by> Conair and they costs $47.99. They were little air> rollers that eliminated the need...supposedly for pins> and clips. The instructions with the article say:> "Simply roll up hair on the heated spools, snap> the tops down and lock in the curl. You will get soft,> bouncy, head-tuning locks"> What a hoot.> Does anyone still have any of these? I never had any,> but a friend did. They just looked so strange. I am> not sure how they worked.> Share please...any memories of Spoolies. :-)> Karen
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:24am
Karen--My mother and I had Spoolies. If I recall, the larger ones were pistachio green, and the little ones were pink. The were supposed to create these springy banana curls but in reality just made frizz.They worked better on shorter hair, because you could only wrap the strands around the spool so many times. Also, it was very easy to burn your fingers on the little suckers.Do YOU remember the heat-up, bendable sticks that you'd wrap your hair around?Ally
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:24am
Hi Ally...Yes I do. I could never get them to do much because they never seemed to bend as much as I thought they should. My hair would be curled unevenly.Now..what I really remember is those Clairol hot rollers with the spikes on them and the little metal picks that you used to hold them in your hair. I had several close calls were the curler got caught in my hair and I was sure I would lose a chunk of hair in the process. UGH.In college my roommate would walk through the campus to the the Union to get cokes in her Clairol hot rollers. Freaked me out. I would not even walk down the dorm hall in those things. :-)So Ally, do you still have the bendables or what did you do with them?Thanks for a good memory.Karen> Karen--> My mother and I had Spoolies. If I recall, the larger> ones were pistachio green, and the little ones were> pink. The were supposed to create these springy banana> curls but in reality just made frizz.> They worked better on shorter hair, because you could> only wrap the strands around the spool so many times.> Also, it was very easy to burn your fingers on the> little suckers.> Do YOU remember the heat-up, bendable sticks that> you'd wrap your hair around?> Ally
Scribe View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:25am
> Do YOU remember the heat-up, bendable sticks that> you'd wrap your hair around?> AllyYeah, mine lasted through using them *maybe* twice before they died and wouldn't heat up anymore.You want to talk ancient... has anyone ever heard of rag curls or actually used them to curl their own hair? My grandmother used these when she was young (late 19th Century) and they are the only way I feel is safe enough to curl my own hair. Some traditions never die ;)Scribe@---->---->----------Want more talk about long hair on either sex?Send me mail at LadyScribe@aol.com to join the Longlocks mailing list
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:25am
Hi Scribe,> You want to talk ancient... has anyone ever heard of> rag curls or actually used them to curl their own> hair?Yeah, my mom used to use rag curls all the time. You can even see what her hair looked like if you go to the tips section here at the Hair Boutique and look at the pictures in my article. I would love to try them but my hair just takes too long to dry. I would have to wear them for a whole weekend, and I wouldn't be caught dead in public with my hair tied in rags...:-)Take care,Noreen
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:25am
Has anyone besides me tried pin curls. My mom showed me how. You use bobby pins; you roll your hair on your finger all the way up to the scalp and put your pins in.For me it takes about 2 days. Day 1: It takes me about 8 hours to pin curl my hair. Sleeping on them is a real pain - no pun here. Day 2: I still have to sit under a hair dryer (Christmas gift for this reason) about half a day to dry my hair. Finally at the end of the second day - I take the pins out. It's a slow process - about 2 - 3 hours.But the results are phenomenal. My absolutely straight as a board hair - has gorgeous curls.This, of course, is not a daily event for me because it's so time consuming. But, try it one weekend when you have nothing else to do.Happy rolling,Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Tamara in Calgary, Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara in Calgary, Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:25am
Oh yes. Mom ragged up my niece's hair (not the one growing her hair) last month. Works like a charm but it does take time. I agree it sounds like the safest way to curl straight hair.> Yeah, mine lasted through using them *maybe* twice> before they died and wouldn't heat up anymore.> You want to talk ancient... has anyone ever heard of> rag curls or actually used them to curl their own> hair? My grandmother used these when she was young> (late 19th Century) and they are the only way I feel> is safe enough to curl my own hair. Some traditions> never die ;)> Scribe> @---->---->----------> Want more talk about long hair on either sex?> Send me mail at LadyScribe@aol.com to join the> Longlocks mailing list
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:25am
Hi Scribe,Yes...I remember rag curlers. In fact, someone just came out with a "commerical" brand. I have it written down somewhere. I might have even put it in the Hair News. My mind is starting to short out. :-)I used to use old flannel pjs that were torn up into strips. Lots of fun and great banana curls.Karen> Yeah, mine lasted through using them *maybe* twice> before they died and wouldn't heat up anymore.> You want to talk ancient... has anyone ever heard of> rag curls or actually used them to curl their own> hair? My grandmother used these when she was young> (late 19th Century) and they are the only way I feel> is safe enough to curl my own hair. Some traditions> never die ;)> Scribe> @---->---->----------> Want more talk about long hair on either sex?> Send me mail at LadyScribe@aol.com to join the> Longlocks mailing list
connie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
> I do remember them. I got them for Christmas one year> and they looked really strange in my hair. They worked> OK but looked more goofey than anything else. I love> this nostalgia stuff.> Now here is one for you. Do you remember the pink> sponge roolers with the weird pink plastic clip that> snapped in place and help them on your head? They were> totally useless because they did not stay in your hair> very well. But they were the hottest thing going.> Thanks for the walk down memory lane.> KarlaBoy Oh Boy is this bringing back memories. Sponge rollers, those heated bending sticks, spiked heat rollers, but don't forget, trying to sleep on brush rollers. As for Spoolies, well Karen, not only do I have the heated ones, but I still have the original spoolies that were made of rubber and were not heated.(you think your a pack rat!) Remember those magnetic rollers with the clap that left dents in your hair?Take care, Your all Great!! Connie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic