Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Bo Derek "10" Hairdo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Bo Derek "10" Hairdo
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
A few (you all know how many) years ago I had to have my hair in corn rows. It took two women (one on each side of my head) 4-1/2 hours to braid my hair into 86 braids.It was soooo much fun. I could go out on a windy day without any thought of hair problems. No hair across the face, in the mouth, or eyes. I could go swimming without choking myself of getting tangled up in my hair.There was only one small problem - taking out the braids. I couldn't do it, so the job was attacked with gusto by my Mom. It took her longer to take out the braids and it did to put them in - much longer.She had a small comb with a pick on the end - and that's what she used. She picked my hair out of the braids. She finally finished in the wee hours of the morning and when I looked at myself in the mirror I screamed. I no longer had straight hair - I had a bush on my head. I wanted to crawl in a hole and stay there. You've all heard sleeping with a braid will make your hair wavy, don't do it with 86 of them!We couldn't figure out how to make my hair straight again, so I got in the shower and washed out the bush. It worked.Maybe the same thing can help the lady with the beehive - any suggestions?Concerned,Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
Hi Debbie,Yes..you are right. This definitely could help with the beehive look.I had a friend who had cornrows..ala Bo Derek...and she got headaches from the braids. Did you have that as well?I can not believe that you sat still for 4 1/2 hours. I would have been going bonkers. :-)Now here is the question....do you have any photos you would like to share of your Bo look? I would love to see them.Best wishes,Karen> A few (you all know how many) years ago I had to have> my hair in corn rows. It took two women (one on each> side of my head) 4-1/2 hours to braid my hair into 86> braids.> It was soooo much fun. I could go out on a windy day> without any thought of hair problems. No hair across> the face, in the mouth, or eyes. I could go swimming> without choking myself of getting tangled up in my> hair.> There was only one small problem - taking out the> braids. I couldn't do it, so the job was attacked with> gusto by my Mom. It took her longer to take out the> braids and it did to put them in - much longer.> She had a small comb with a pick on the end - and> that's what she used. She picked my hair out of the> braids. She finally finished in the wee hours of the> morning and when I looked at myself in the mirror I> screamed. I no longer had straight hair - I had a bush> on my head. I wanted to crawl in a hole and stay> there. You've all heard sleeping with a braid will> make your hair wavy, don't do it with 86 of them!> We couldn't figure out how to make my hair straight> again, so I got in the shower and washed out the bush.> It worked.> Maybe the same thing can help the lady with the> beehive - any suggestions?> Concerned,> Debbie
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
> Hi Debbie,> Yes..you are right. This definitely could help with> the beehive look.> I had a friend who had cornrows..ala Bo Derek...and> she got headaches from the braids. Did you have that> as well?> I can not believe that you sat still for 4 1/2 hours.> I would have been going bonkers. :-)> Now here is the question....do you have any photos you> would like to share of your Bo look? I would love to> see them.> Best wishes,> KarenHi Karen,I didn't get headaches - but I'm so used to washing my hair, it was really strange washing the braids. I only lasted 10 days.If I can find any photos, I'll share.Thanks, Debbie
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi Debbie,Did you have to wash the braids differently? Will you ever do that again? I have always wanted to but never had the patience. :-)I hope you find the photos. That would be great. :-)Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen,> I didn't get headaches - but I'm so used to washing my> hair, it was really strange washing the braids. I only> lasted 10 days.> If I can find any photos, I'll share.> Thanks, Debbie
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
> Hi Debbie,> Did you have to wash the braids differently? Will you> ever do that again? I have always wanted to but never> had the patience. :-)> I hope you find the photos. That would be great. :-)> Best wishes,> KarenI can well imagine the waves from so many braids. When my hair was real long I used to sit and braid a bunch of braids when my hair was wet ( not 86 braids for sure!) but maybe 10 or so. I would leave the braids in for as long as I could or at least til dry. The result was a perm look that lasted til the next washing. Actually last night after getting home late from out boating, I washed my hair and french braided it. This morning when I took it down, I had wonderful waves and curls. Definitely they all wash away with the next washing.. I think Noreen does this also.. If I had to go somewhere while my hair was in all the braids, I would braid all the braids into one single braid.. now that was a wild hairstyle.. Cher~
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi All!I had to laugh while reading this thread. You see I am sitting here with my hair in 15 braids. I just washed my hair and I do this to add texture to my hair and some waves. When my hair was much shorter I would put in about 50 to 60 and I know what Debbie means about poofy. The first few days after putting in all those braids I would look like I had gotten a really bad perm. Then it would calm down and just look very wavy. But when it started to take me 6 hours or more to put in all those braids, I started to cut back. I like the waves as my hair is really pretty straight now that it is so long. If I just pick my hair after it dries it will not get so poofy, but if I brush it, watch out! And Cher is right, it does stay in until the next washing. Especially now that I am using Aveda's Confixor or Phomollient. The only real problem I have now is that I can't reach the ends of my hair, so the last 6 inches or so stay straight. I sometimes will roll the ends to put a little curl into them. I also do what Cher did, and put all the little braids into one braid if I have to go out. My hair has to stay in the braids almost 24 hours to be completely dry.Take care,Noreen> I can well imagine the waves from so many braids. When> my hair was real long I used to sit and braid a bunch> of braids when my hair was wet ( not 86 braids for> sure!) but maybe 10 or so. I would leave the braids in> for as long as I could or at least til dry. The result> was a perm look that lasted til the next washing.> Actually last night after getting home late from out> boating, I washed my hair and french braided it. This> morning when I took it down, I had wonderful waves and> curls. Definitely they all wash away with the next> washing.. I think Noreen does this also.. If I had to> go somewhere while my hair was in all the braids, I> would braid all the braids into one single braid.. now> that was a wild hairstyle.. Cher~
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi Noreen,15 braids? Whew...my arms would be tired. You must have lots of energy or great arm muscles. :-) I think I am just too lazy. My hair has natural waves and all I have to do is add some Confixer, scrunch like crazy and viola...waves with little fuss. The braids do work though. I am just too antsy to hold still long enough to do all that work. LOL.The thought of your hair in Bo Derek braids from top to bottom all the way around just blows my mind Noreen. It would take days and about 10 women to get all that hair of yours in braids like that. :-)I think that should be a Guiness Book record or something. :-)Karen> Hi All!> I had to laugh while reading this thread. You see I am> sitting here with my hair in 15 braids. I just washed> my hair and I do this to add texture to my hair and> some waves. When my hair was much shorter I would put> in about 50 to 60 and I know what Debbie means about> poofy. The first few days after putting in all those> braids I would look like I had gotten a really bad> perm. Then it would calm down and just look very wavy.> But when it started to take me 6 hours or more to put> in all those braids, I started to cut back. I like the> waves as my hair is really pretty straight now that it> is so long. If I just pick my hair after it dries it> will not get so poofy, but if I brush it, watch out!> And Cher is right, it does stay in until the next> washing. Especially now that I am using Aveda's> Confixor or Phomollient. The only real problem I have> now is that I can't reach the ends of my hair, so the> last 6 inches or so stay straight. I sometimes will> roll the ends to put a little curl into them. I also> do what Cher did, and put all the little braids into> one braid if I have to go out. My hair has to stay in> the braids almost 24 hours to be completely dry.> Take care,> Noreen
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi Karen,15 braids doesn't take very long. Just a little over an hour. I know that if I were to really cornrow it would take much longer. But I am pretty quick at doing a plain old 3 strand braid. However, the smaller the braid the longer it takes. For example, to just put 30 braids in my hair takes 4 hours. The same holds true for removing them.I was at a party once when one of my friends wanted to put my hair into 2 french braids. After doing just one, she decided that it was too frustrating to do this in my hair and wouldn't do the second one. So I ran around the party all night with half of my hair in a french braid and the other half hanging loose. Good thing I was with friends! Anyway, I scare stylists when I just walk into a salon around here. I don't think I could find anyone willing to put Bo Derek braids into my hair, but I think it would be really neat to see what it would look like.Take care,Noreen> Hi Noreen,> 15 braids? Whew...my arms would be tired. You must> have lots of energy or great arm muscles. :-) I think> I am just too lazy. My hair has natural waves and all> I have to do is add some Confixer, scrunch like crazy> and viola...waves with little fuss. The braids do work> though. I am just too antsy to hold still long enough> to do all that work. LOL.> The thought of your hair in Bo Derek braids from top> to bottom all the way around just blows my mind> Noreen. It would take days and about 10 women to get> all that hair of yours in braids like that. :-)> I think that should be a Guiness Book record or> something. :-)> Karen
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:29am
> Hi Debbie,> Did you have to wash the braids differently? Will you> ever do that again? I have always wanted to but never> had the patience. :-)> I hope you find the photos. That would be great. :-)> Best wishes,> KarenHi Karen,I had to be very gentle with the braids when I washed my hair. I couldn't just wash my scalp and hair the way I was used to doing. If I did, it would loosen the hair from the braids too badly and I would have little sprigs of hair sticking out of all the braids. No. I enjoyed it, but I will never do it again.Debbie
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:29am
Hi Debbie,Thanks for the info. It blows my mind that you could wash your hair with the braids in and as long as you were careful, they stayed. That says a lot about how well done the braids were.Did you have beads at the end to hold the braids or did they actually burn the ends?Karen> Hi Karen,> I had to be very gentle with the braids when I washed> my hair. I couldn't just wash my scalp and hair the> way I was used to doing. If I did, it would loosen the> hair from the braids too badly and I would have little> sprigs of hair sticking out of all the braids. No. I> enjoyed it, but I will never do it again.> Debbie
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:30am
Hi Karen,You'll probably yell at me when you hear this. Yes, I had 3 beads put on the end, but they were held in place with strips of foil paper (the food kind, I'm just glad it wasn't the heavy duty stuff). I know - I'm crazy. It's a wonder my hair has grown at all since then.Debbie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic