Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI need ideas!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need ideas!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:30am
As I've mentioned in one of my other posts here lately, I'm giving a departmental presentation on Monday. I need some ideas for what to do with my hair. The complication is this - it's a fairly informal presentation. If I wore jeans or shorts, no one would even care. Academic departments are often like that, especially in science. I don't want a hairstyle that would seem incongruous with the atmosphere of the presentation - that's why this is difficult. If it were a formal presentation, this would be easy enough.The other consideration is that I am growing out my bangs. I need a style that includes holding them out of my eyes, so that I can see what I'm doing. It also has to keep the rest of my hair under control, because I can't be having to push it back over my shoulders every time I change what's on the overhead projector.My hair is waist length, straight, and very fine, though I have a fair amount of it. My bangs are to the tip of my nose. I have a fairly narrow face.Thanks, everyone!Laura Janelswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:31am
Hi Laura Jane,Being a guy, I'm not sure how credible or valuable my thoughts may be.....The first question that came to my mind was "how do you plan to dress for yourpresentation?" Certain kinds of hairstyles seem more congruous with certainstyles of dress. It seems that how you want to dress may serve as a guide toto types of hairstyles you may want to consider.Also, some hairstyles are fairly flexible in terms of their formality.A french braid, for example, can be seen as either fairly casual, or fairlydressy. A french braid may look good with certain barettes, too.If your dress is more formal, one of those headbands that hold back growing-outbangs might be a good choice.Well, I hope my thoughts are of some value to you.Good luck!Dave
David M Squires
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:31am
Hey Laura,It seems like I've talked to you a lot lately. Good luck with the presentation. As to your hair...Have you thought about pulling it back with a small scarf and putting matching barrets on either side to hold your bangs? When you put the barrets in you might place them an inch or two from the hairline to make your face appear a little wider. I hope I've helped a little.Yours Truly, Angel O:)
Angel
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:31am
Laura Jane,Oops! I just realized (remembered) that if you french braid your hair, there isno need for barrettes. When I was married, I used to occasionally french braidmy wife's hair and I just now remembered being able to french braid her haireven though she had bangs.Please forgive my momentary lapse of consciousness!Dave
David M Squires
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:31am
> As I've mentioned in one of my other posts here> lately, I'm giving a departmental presentation on> Monday. I need some ideas for what to do with my hair.> The complication is this - it's a fairly informal> presentation. If I wore jeans or shorts, no one would> even care. Academic departments are often like that,> especially in science. I don't want a hairstyle that> would seem incongruous with the atmosphere of the> presentation - that's why this is difficult. If it> were a formal presentation, this would be easy enough.> The other consideration is that I am growing out my> bangs. I need a style that includes holding them out> of my eyes, so that I can see what I'm doing. It also> has to keep the rest of my hair under control, because> I can't be having to push it back over my shoulders> every time I change what's on the overhead projector.> My hair is waist length, straight, and very fine,> though I have a fair amount of it. My bangs are to the> tip of my nose. I have a fairly narrow face.> Thanks, everyone!> Laura Jane> lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.eduhello Laura Jane,My hair reaches my waist . I been in the position such like yourself that I need to make very important presentations to doctors etc. i was a rep.I don't know what you look like but for me I found letting my hair loose and parted one side looked very nice anc accetable. I done the french braid. I use barrettes. I also found if I want to look very elegant at a presentation I would put my hair in a bun on the back my head. It must suit me as many people notices me when I do that. For your bangs you can gel them and push them a bit on the side or just have a small trim before your presentation. I don't have bangs. My bangs reaches my bra strap.You need to play with styles. I had the knock them down look once. I totally pulled all my hair to one side and tied it witth a beatfiul barrette at the end of hair. I had lots of commpliment. I know another one. You can french your hair and then take the end and bring the braid up so that the end will be secured on top of your head with a barrette then on the other end attached a clip with flowers. that also looks very nice. People in presentation aprpeciate when we look elegant .Diane
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:31am
> Laura Jane,> Oops! I just realized (remembered) that if you french> braid your hair, there is> no need for barrettes. When I was married, I used to> occasionally french braid> my wife's hair and I just now remembered being able to> french braid her hair> even though she had bangs.> Please forgive my momentary lapse of consciousness!> DaveHey Dave,One can attached a barrette on top of your hair eventhough one has bangs. It tend becomes more like a piece of hair jewelry.I have seen it but I don't as I don'thave bangs. You know me , queen of barrettes.
Diane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> As I've mentioned in one of my other posts here> lately, I'm giving a departmental presentation on> Monday. I need some ideas for what to do with my hair.> The complication is this - it's a fairly informal> presentation. If I wore jeans or shorts, no one would> even care. Academic departments are often like that,> especially in science. I don't want a hairstyle that> would seem incongruous with the atmosphere of the> presentation - that's why this is difficult. If it> were a formal presentation, this would be easy enough.> The other consideration is that I am growing out my> bangs. I need a style that includes holding them out> of my eyes, so that I can see what I'm doing. It also> has to keep the rest of my hair under control, because> I can't be having to push it back over my shoulders> every time I change what's on the overhead projector.> My hair is waist length, straight, and very fine,> though I have a fair amount of it. My bangs are to the> tip of my nose. I have a fairly narrow face.> Thanks, everyone!> Laura Jane> lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.eduHow about doing the french braid but only stoping halfway down and secure your hair with a barrette. It gives a nice look and I had compliment on that also.Or put a bun on top of your hair. There is a millons things we can do that is the beauty of long hair we can have a new look every day.Diane
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:33am
Hi Laura Jane,So what style did you decide on, and how did you find that it "worked" for you?Whatever you chose, I'm sure it looked great.Dave
David M Squires
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:34am
> So what style did you decide on, and how did you find> that it "worked" for you?Well, the presentation went well. I'm glad it's over - I'm preparing another one for this Monday, but a really informal one, just for a class of about 10 people, so I'm not too worried about my hair for that one.I ended up going in to give the presentation with the ends of my hair still damp (I was running late), so I just pulled the front back with two combs to control the growing-out bangs, and put the back in a bun so the wet part didn't show.Thanks for the feedback, though, everyone! Now I have lots of ideas for when I do my prelims (to qualify for formal PhD candidacy) next summer!Laura Janelswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
wolf View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:35am
I think you can find something you like in my pagex51wolf@mail.geocities.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic