Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWho Knows the Truth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Knows the Truth?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:41am
Hey, Mousse-keteers!I'm getting my hair trimmed again in a few weeks. It's well past my shoulders now (yay!), and I have to start thinking about style.I want to wear my hair like Kate Winslet's, since we have a similar face and hair type. Most sources say that her hair is graduated or layered in the front only.My stylist argues that you can't layer hair just around the face--that it has to be layered all over or it will look uneven. I've had bad experiences with layers in my fine, wavy hair.I'm not sure who to listen to. Advice?Ally
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:41am
Hi Ally,Good to see you and congrats on your hair growth.As far as layers around the face...I personally love them. I had about 3 different hairstylists try to talk me out of it. I said...hey...its my party, I'm paying for it...do it.I found one who did and left all my long lengths along. Guess what. The best thing I did for my round face. I still wear my hair that way. I have a graduated layer or "fringe" that starts at my layered bangs and curves around my face and blends into the back.This gives me lots of options of how I can wear my hair. I can do tendrils. I can really wax up the sides and wear little fingers into my cheeks, I can use Aveda confixer and blow dry just the fringe part back off my face into a soft layer effect.I love it.Bottom line. It is your hair. You are have to wear it every day, look at it in the mirror and you pay for it.Who is right about this? You are Ally. :-)If you need some style suggestions, there is an awesome graduated cut in the Gallery. I have included it for your reference. I wear my sides exactly like this and love it.> Hey, Mousse-keteers!> I'm getting my hair trimmed again in a few weeks. It's> well past my shoulders now (yay!), and I have to start> thinking about style.> I want to wear my hair like Kate Winslet's, since we> have a similar face and hair type. Most sources say> that her hair is graduated or layered in the front> only.> My stylist argues that you can't layer hair just> around the face--that it has to be layered all over or> it will look uneven. I've had bad experiences with> layers in my fine, wavy hair.> I'm not sure who to listen to. Advice?> AllyRelated Link:Graduated Layers In Front
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:41am
This is exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks so much!Ally
gigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:41am
Hi Ally, I think it is a bad sign that your stylist isn't willing to play with this a little with you. Stylists are only human. If she doesn't want to do it and you "make" her, she might (subconsciously, of course) do a half-8888 job just to sort of prove herself right. I would find a good, experienced stylist for this one cut, that is enthusiastic about working with you and giving it a whirl. Perhaps find someone with the type of layers that you want around her own face and either have her do it (if she did it herself) or ask which other stylist did her hair. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic