Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHome Hair Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Hair Color
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:42am
Is there a solon quality dye that you can apply at home? Can you color just the gray in your hair and have it not affect your natural highlights? I have never colored my hair and would appreciate any advice before I consider it. Thank you to anyone who can help me.
The present is the past tomorrow. :)
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:42am
> Is there a solon quality dye that you can apply at> home? Can you color just the gray in your hair and> have it not affect your natural highlights? I have> never colored my hair and would appreciate any advice> before I consider it. Thank you to anyone who can help> me.There are hair colors made with no peroxide to just color away the gray. Actually I think they turn the gray into subtle highlights. I am thinking Nice n Easy is one. They wash out with each hair washing. These are not dyes but colors.. Dye is permanent. I used a semi permanent hair color and believe me, they adhere! Read the boxes carefully. The kind with no peroxide should wash out.. hopefully! Good luck..
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:42am
> There are hair colors made with no peroxide to just> color away the gray. Actually I think they turn the> gray into subtle highlights. I am thinking Nice n Easy> is one. They wash out with each hair washing. These> are not dyes but colors.. Dye is permanent. I used a> semi permanent hair color and believe me, they adhere!> Read the boxes carefully. The kind with no peroxide> should wash out.. hopefully! Good luck..Be careful, even the ones without peroxide don't always come out very well. They can also be damaging. If your hair is short, they aren't that bad, but if it's long, or if you're trying to grow it out, they can be a problem.Back when I was a freshman in college (when my hair was still fairly short, just about to my shoulders), I tried one of the colors that is supposed to wash right out. It didn't come out completely - and it was red, too, which is supposed to come out easily, so I hate to think about what a different color would do! It also made my hair much drier and more fragile. I wasn't particularly happy with the results. When the roots started to show (and there was still color left in my hair, long after it should have been gone), I tried a different brand and had the same problem. After that, I gave up.Keep in mind, though, that I have fine and fairly fragile hair to start with, and it has always been a little on the dry side. My mother's hair is short, and not nearly as fine as mine, and it does just fine with dye, or even highlights, even without special conditioning.Laura Janelswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic