Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStylist Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stylist Dilemma
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:42am
Hello!I've been posting to this board for several months now, and I have always been rather verbose on the subject of getting what you want from your stylist.I have a slightly different problem. My colorist/stylist does a phenomenal job, gives me the attention I require, etc. Sometimes she's strong-willed and pushy, but I can handle it. I consider it an acceptable trade-off because she is so talented.The problem is this: She is a single mother who is experiencing financial difficulty. Every time I go to see her now, she very aggressively pushes extra products and services on me. She urges me to buy new shampoo and conditioner even though I tell her I have plenty. She keeps adding to the list of products I "should be using." She keeps pressuring me to make an appointment to come in and have my hair elaborately styled with jeweled clips, etc., even though I have no formal events coming up--"just to see what it looks like." When I murmur "Maybe" and try to change the subject, she whips out her appointment book and tries to get me to make a date. She also insists I should be having my hair trimmed monthly instead of every three months. (She never used to say that.)Her prices are inconsistent and subtly jacked up lately--so I never pay the same fee twice.How do I handle this without going elsewhere? I feel anxious whenever I go in, fearing that perhaps (as Gigi pointed out) that she will do a bad job to help prove her "point" that I'm not spending enough money on hair. But I doubt anyone else could mix my color so perfectly....Stymied,Ally
pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:43am
> I would simply say that you could not afford all those extra products/services. She should understand that if she is in dire financial straits. Also, I really do not think she would do a bad job on your hair just because you turned down her suggestive selling. She is not in a position to be losing loyal customers right now, ya know?
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:43am
Pam--Very true.I don't know why I felt awkward about telling her the truth: I /can't/ afford the stuff she's pushing.Thanks a lot,Ally :)
blade7 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blade7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:43am
> Hello!> I've been posting to this board for several months> now, and I have always been rather verbose on the> subject of getting what you want from your stylist.> I have a slightly different problem. My> colorist/stylist does a phenomenal job, gives me the> attention I require, etc. Sometimes she's> strong-willed and pushy, but I can handle it. I> consider it an acceptable trade-off because she is so> talented.> The problem is this: She is a single mother who is> experiencing financial difficulty. Every time I go to> see her now, she very aggressively pushes extra> products and services on me. She urges me to buy new> shampoo and conditioner even though I tell her I have> plenty. She keeps adding to the list of products I> "should be using." She keeps pressuring me> to make an appointment to come in and have my hair> elaborately styled with jeweled clips, etc., even> though I have no formal events coming up--"just> to see what it looks like." When I murmur> "Maybe" and try to change the subject, she> whips out her appointment book and tries to get me to> make a date. She also insists I should be having my> hair trimmed monthly instead of every three months.> (She never used to say that.)> Her prices are inconsistent and subtly jacked up> lately--so I never pay the same fee twice.> How do I handle this without going elsewhere? I feel> anxious whenever I go in, fearing that perhaps (as> Gigi pointed out) that she will do a bad job to help> prove her "point" that I'm not spending> enough money on hair. But I doubt anyone else could> mix my color so perfectly....> Stymied,> AllyAlly, as a hairdresser here are a few things to try: 1. Tell her you have had to go on a budget, and that you need an exact price for her services. 2. Think of an expensive hair product line that she does not handle, and tell her you have been very happy with that line.3. Haircuts every 3 months? Sorry that seems a bit long, I tell most clients with long hair 6 to 8 weeks. Remember you are the customer, does that make you always right? No, but it doesnt mean you are a sheep to be fleeced. Hope this helps in some small way .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic