Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHairstyle & Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairstyle & Weight
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
Hiya, all.Has anyone (other than me) found that weight loss or gain can affect which hairstyles flatter you?When I was heavier, it seemed I needed shorter styles to balance the fullness in my face. Now that I'm thin, I look better with my hair longer. (Great motivation for staying in shape, because I adore long hair.) For some people it's the other way around.A long time ago I read a book on beauty written by Marilyn Monroe's favorite makeup artist. (George somethingorother.) A lot of his advice was very controversial then and would be rejected outright today. (For example, he advocated daily sunbathing and urged women to wear light makeup to bed.) One thing he said was that long hair draws attention to the body, and that short hair distracts the eye from the body. Does anyone think this is true?Just wondering,Ally
Kay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
Ally,I am currently making the exact same experience.I lost 20 pounds so far and started to let my hair grow out same time.When my face was rounder than it is now I liked styles with my hair out of my face, especially since I have very thick and wavy hair. That meant: short hair.It's now down to the middle of my ears and it looks better day by day.So I definetely support what you are saying.Kay
Debbue View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
> Ally,> I am currently making the exact same experience.> I lost 20 pounds so far and started to let my hair> grow out same time.> When my face was rounder than it is now I liked styles> with my hair out of my face, especially since I have> very thick and wavy hair. That meant: short hair.> It's now down to the middle of my ears and it looks> better day by day.> So I definetely support what you are saying.> KayHello Ally and Kay,I disagree with both of you. For instance, look at some old Designing Women shows. Delta Burke was thin and had long hair - she was gorgeous. And now she is over weight and her hair is chopped of to her ears. Her face is fat - there's no other way to say it. She should at least let her hair grow down past her neck to see the difference. And you can always pull your hair back with a barrette if you don't like it in your face. But usually when people gain weight, they not only gain in their face, but their neck. So you have a woman who is chubby, short hair, and you also get to see her fat neck.It's one of my pet peeves. Just try longer hair if you're overweight. You can always cut it off. Or better yet, find a salon that will let you try on various length wigs to see what style/length is better for you.It couldn't hurt, and you'd still have your hair!Debbie
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
Heya, Debbie and Kay...Like I said, for some people it's the other way around. I guess my hypothesis would be that since weight loss or gain changes the shape of your face, it also affects which hairstyles suit you.Ally the Stairmaster Queen
Ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
>Ok, Here is my .02. I think it really has to do with your hair texture. For instance, I have seen some larger sized women with beautiful, thick hair (you may even consider it "big" hair) that is very flattering, especially if it is curly. However, fine, thin long hair (like mine, unfortunately) on an overweight woman would probably be out of balance with her face shape, etc. On the flip side, I have seen thinner women with long hair that is fairly fine and thin (think Jane Seymour) that looks good. Anyone agree?? Ellen> Has anyone (other than me) found that weight loss or> gain can affect which hairstyles flatter you?> When I was heavier, it seemed I needed shorter styles> to balance the fullness in my face. Now that I'm thin,> I look better with my hair longer. (Great motivation> for staying in shape, because I adore long hair.) For> some people it's the other way around.> A long time ago I read a book on beauty written by> Marilyn Monroe's favorite makeup artist. (George> somethingorother.) A lot of his advice was very> controversial then and would be rejected outright> today. (For example, he advocated daily sunbathing and> urged women to wear light makeup to bed.) One thing he> said was that long hair draws attention to the body,> and that short hair distracts the eye from the body.> Does anyone think this is true?> Just wondering,> Ally

William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:58am
> Heya, Debbie and Kay...> Like I said, for some people it's the other way> around. I guess my hypothesis would be that since> weight loss or gain changes the shape of your face, it> also affects which hairstyles suit you.> Ally the Stairmaster QueenTO Ally and the rest of the gang, re; hair length and weight are very subjective,"beauty is in the eye of the beholder", as the old quote goes.what I try to tell all of my clients is to look in my full length mirror for the "overall image", "the big picture" so to speak. Many a time does a women look at a style on another person and say "I want my hair like that", but , really mean "I want to look like that" without having the knowledge or training to see the hidden features that contribute or detract from trying to look like someone else by just changing hairstyles. Most heavy people should look for a style that is not too extreme one way or another. A simple long bob or pageboy will help slenderize the round face of an overweight person, whereas a very short cut will open up the face and accentuate the roundness especially if it also has long square cut bangs. To wear very short styles and look the best, a girl has to have a very attractive face and be on the thin side. Petite size girls can wear their hair very short and look great with the right cut, but put the same cut on a heavy girl and it seems to scream"way too short". Likewise a petite girl with hair to her knees that is very heavy and thick looks out of proportion to her body size, here again look at "the big picture". Many times a client can look great from the neck up in the chair but, let them get up and take of the cape and see the "big picture" and something just doesn't balance out in the overall image. Girls with long hair can use this trick to check out different looks: comb your hair straight down your back and put on a tight fitting T-shirt and leave your hair tucked inside, slowly pull your hair out and let it fall down your back at different lengths and check out the different views in a mirror and see how just a change of lengths affect your 'big picture'. If your hair is too short to do this , you can cover it with a big bath towel and achieve the same thing by moving it up or down your back. There are lots of other things you can try but I have talked enough tonite. Some of you girls try it and post and let me know if you could see a difference in your big picture". william
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic