Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRenaissance Festival braids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance Festival braids
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:21am
How do I go about finding someone in my area who can do these romantic braided styles? My hair is hip-length and I cannot do these intricate braids myself and the ladies at the festivals charge between $10 and $20 for a beautiful braided up-do. I'm in Atlanta. Any ideas?
Neil View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:21am
> How do I go about finding someone in my area who can> do these romantic braided styles? My hair is> hip-length and I cannot do these intricate braids> myself and the ladies at the festivals charge between> $10 and $20 for a beautiful braided up-do. I'm in> Atlanta. Any ideas?Hi Susan,I really don't think spending $10-$20 for an intricate braided style is too bad a price. Considering what some salons charge for haircuts, color, or perms, that is a bargain. An intricate style may take an hour or more to do. What is your time worth per hour?I realize the results from these other services last longer for your money than a braided style that you may keep in a day or two. I bet if you went to the Brent Jones salon in Atlanta (Farlows) you would pay a lot more.Or, you might try to find another long hair friend and practice briaded styles on eachother for free. Sorry I don't have any better ideas.Neil
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
I don't think Susan was objecting to the price. It's a great price. I have the same question as her accept for the San Francisco area. I really wonder if the braiders at our Ren Fair offer the service at other times of the year. Also, where can I learn to be one of them?
Susan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
> I don't think Susan was objecting to the price. It's a> great price. I have the same question as her accept> for the San Francisco area. I really wonder if the> braiders at our Ren Fair offer the service at other> times of the year. Also, where can I learn to be one> of them?You're right, Serena - I certainly was NOT objecting to the price! My only complaint is that to get these great styles at this great price I have to wait for a Ren Fest to come to Atlanta. I checked with Brent at Farlow's and he does not really do these braided styles and didn't know of anyone off hand who did. I like the idea of practicing on long hair friends' hair - except I don't have a close friend who has long hair. I'd sure love to find a reliable braider in Atlanta!
Mikel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
Just a thought, Susan...there has to be merchants in your area who specialize in Renaissance-type regalia, etc. Perhaps if you network with them and tell them of your need, they would know of someone locally who could do your hair in the style you want. It's worth a try!> You're right, Serena - I certainly was NOT objecting> to the price! My only complaint is that to get these> great styles at this great price I have to wait for a> Ren Fest to come to Atlanta. I checked with Brent at> Farlow's and he does not really do these braided> styles and didn't know of anyone off hand who did. I> like the idea of practicing on long hair friends' hair> - except I don't have a close friend who has long> hair. I'd sure love to find a reliable braider in> Atlanta!
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:22am
You're right, Mikel. That's a great idea. I participate in a historical re-creation society all year long, and know a couple of people who do at least some of the types of braids Susan is talking about. One of these ladies is the woman who taught me to do crown braids and other French braid varitions. I too wish that I knew someone who was willing to practice on a regular basis. There is just a limit to what you can do on your own hair. (Although, with practice, some of these styles are possible without help.) So, that means that I get to practice on other people, but it is very seldom that anyone is willing to try anything on my hair. :-(Good luck in finding some contacts in your area.Teresa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic