Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedkinky dry hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ruby Olisemeka View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby Olisemeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kinky dry hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
my hair is so weak and so very very dry.Im thinking about just putting it in a dread cap and calling it a day....but help.How do I style my natural hair?How do I bring an end to extremely dry and weak hair...
Tatiyana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tatiyana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
> my hair is so weak and so very very dry.> Im thinking about just putting it in a dread cap and> calling it a day....but help.> How do I style my natural hair?> How do I bring an end to extremely dry and weak> hair...I have the same problem. I am now growing out relaxer with no idea of what to do. I am thinking of getting a texurizer but I really don't know what that is. Some more ideas are to get dreads, set my hair on perm rods. If you find anything to help me too. PLease Please email my hair is breaking as I speak.
Kendia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kendia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
> my hair is so weak and so very very dry.> Im thinking about just putting it in a dread cap and> calling it a day....but help.> How do I style my natural hair?> How do I bring an end to extremely dry and weak> hair...Hi, What your hair needs is some good conditioning. Read the emailresponse I sent to DJ (Black Natural Hair). Let me know ifsome of these ideas sound good to you. About 5 years ago I wasgoing through the same thing. Contrary to what everyone wassaying I didn't cut my hair off to the newgrowth point.Now my hair is past my shoulder blades and since I've beentaking better care of it it is growing more.Good luck and let me know what steps you're taking.
dj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
I understand. I feel the sme way, ,y hair breaks just from looking at it too hard. It's so dry and kinky, especially in the crown. Kendia gave me some good advice. That i am going ot try. Let's Tatiyana, you and I try it together, we can post here and be each others support gorup. Especially since I know touchup time is coming around soon, close to Valentine's day, (and you know I got's to look good for Valentine's day for my husband!!!). I'll let you know how it goes. I dn't have any jojoba oil, but I do have olive oil, and I now that works to soften my hair.
DJS
Leilani View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leilani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:31am
Hi Ruby,I find that hot oil treatments with olive oil do help and it is also important to follow-up with a deep-conditioner (used WITH heat!) after you shampoo. I found a really good one made by a company called Kava. It's actually called SEA FOAM RECONSTUCTOR but the salesperson told me it was better than the conditioner for dry, brittle hair. I noticed a difference even after my hair was dry. I could actually feel the moisture in my hair without even moisturizing with an oil moisturizer. Here are some other tips that should help you with your hair concerns:* If you have relaxed hair, avoid overprocessing during therelaxing process. Try coating relaxed parts of hair withconditioner to avoid overlapping during relaxing process.* Use moisturizing shampoos formulated for dry, brittle, orcurly hair.* Do hot oil treatments and deep conditioners every 6-8weeks to feed hair and stave away dryness. These twosteps may be done more often if necessary.* Treat hair gently, taking your time while you detangle andALWAYS comb from the ends working toward the scalp usinga wide-tooth comb.* Schedule trims every 6-8 weeks to snip away dry ends andprevent them from splitting.* Seriously minimize using heat to style. Opt for wet setsusing oils, moisturizing lotions, setting lotions, etc. tohold styles and add moisture and shine to hair. If and whwhen you do use heat, monitor the level of heat so thatyou don't burn hair. Also, use a light moisturizer or oilas a protectant, especially for those precious ends.* Avoid all products containing SD alcohol. They willsurely dry hair out even further.I hope these tips will be of some use to you Ruby. It may take a little bit to include all of these things in your routine but believe me, it is worth it in the long run.Also, try checking out the book "Good Hair". It was the one that gave me a great start to maintaining and caring for our beautiful and unique kinky or curly hair.Best of luck and control of your wonderful hair!Leilani
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic