Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddry vs. damaged hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dry vs. damaged hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:37am
> Hi,> Actually hair can be dry AND damaged at the same time.> I know that sounds a little confusing but maybe I can> explain somewhat.> First I would like to strongly recommend that you read> my latest article on straightening that is posted on> the HB front page. The reason that I recommend the> article is because it explains how chemicals alter the> actual cortex of the hair and if the chemical is too> harsh, left on too long, applied too frequently or> done in conjunction with other damaging> treatments...can make the hair lose its natural> elasticity and therefore it will be much more prone to> tangling and it will be stretchy when it is wet. It> will also be limp and will require more treatment than> just a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.> Dry hair is not necessarily damaged hair but damaged> hair is almost always dry.> Another thing that happens with over use of chemicals> is that it will damage the hair cuticle so that it no> longer closes properly and therefore can not retain> moisture in the hair shaft OR the chemical process> will remove all natural moisture and you will have to> work hard to replace it. There are a couple of> scenarios as to why and how hair can become damaged> from chemical treatments.> While all chemicals do different things..from> straightening to curling to lightening to> coloring...they all have a significant impact on the> hair follicle.> There is no absolute way to tell if your hair is> damaged without looking at it and testing the strands.> However, from what you are writing and the way that it> reacts to the ARTec (which does a great job of> replacing moisture) I would suspect that you may have> some damage which manifests as dryness and tangling> and maybe even stretchy hair.> When you have damaged hair there are several things> you can do. The first thing to do is stop doing any> more chemical treatments for as long as possible. The> next thing is to find a really great deep conditioning> treatment that will penetrate into the shaft of the> hair and start to repair some of the damage. There is> not guarantee that deep conditioning will permanently> repair your damaged hair and it will often take some> time to notice a difference.> However, deep conditioning is really the only thing> you can do to effect a change if hair is at the point> where it is damaged. If your hair is just dry, deep> conditioning will make a difference and it will be> improved with just a few treatments. If it is damaged,> it could take as long as a month to turn things> around. So patience is definitely required.> My article gives some recipes for olive oil deep> treatments that you can do at home with plain extra> virgin olive oil. If you want to go for the really> good stuff I would recommend that you try either the> ARTec Moisture Pac (which is very good for deep> conditioning) or you consider the Aveda Curressence.> In both cases I recommend that you leave the> treatments on as long as possible and use a plastic> shower cap as well as a hot towel on top of that.> I have been known to sleep in olive oil all nite which> is super messy (I used lots of towels and wrapped my> head up in 2 plastic caps) but I got some good> results.> The other key to dealing with damaged hair is to treat> it very gently. Don't use blow dryers, heating combs> or hot rollers. Always use a good moisturizing shampoo> like ARTec but maybe use it only on the really dry> parts of the hair so that your hair will not just hang> as you mentioned.> Also, a good cool/cold final rinse will seal the> cuticle and will help hold in the moisture from the> moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.> A good detangling spray that works as a leave-in> conditioner like ARTec's KIWI or Aveda's Curressence> is good. Towel blot your hair and pick it with a> smooth pic or big toothed comb. Take your time, work> from the bottom and treat your hair like fine lace.> If possible, air dry. If not, use a good heat> protecting protect like Aveda Elixer or some of the> Phyto products. The #7 creme will work on any damaged> hair and help give it moisture.> When hair is damaged it requires deep conditioning to> help it recover, a break from any more chemicals,> elimination of hot styling tools, moisturizing> products and patience.> The other option is to have the damaged hair trimmed> off, but that is always my last resort. I have> personally had to have 6 inches of damaged hair> removed from my head 10 years ago as a result of a> liquid diet and it was my absolute last resort. I> tried everything to say it but it was "see> through" at the bottom. So it had to go. I cried> during that whole visit to the stylist.> Anyway...I hope that helped.> If your hair is just dry and you do a few deep> conditioning treatments and avoid the blow dryer &> heated tools and do a cool water rinse, you should see> an immediate difference. If not, you may need to work> at it for awhile to get your hair back in shape.> Let me know if you have more questions.> Best wishes. Hang in there.> KarenI read the article and it was very interesting. I read somewhere once that mayonnaise is very hard to wash out of hair. Is that true? Right now I can't afford expensive deep conditioners so do you have any other suggestions for lower priced ones that are still good or some other homemade recipes? I'm going to try and stop coloring my hair for a while (although the roots are medium brown and the rest is reddish brown and will eventually be noticeable) but I do blow dry my hair every day (it's too porous to air dry, that would take hours) so do you have any suggestions for leave-in conditioners?
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:36am
Hi,Actually hair can be dry AND damaged at the same time. I know that sounds a little confusing but maybe I can explain somewhat.First I would like to strongly recommend that you read my latest article on straightening that is posted on the HB front page. The reason that I recommend the article is because it explains how chemicals alter the actual cortex of the hair and if the chemical is too harsh, left on too long, applied too frequently or done in conjunction with other damaging treatments...can make the hair lose its natural elasticity and therefore it will be much more prone to tangling and it will be stretchy when it is wet. It will also be limp and will require more treatment than just a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.Dry hair is not necessarily damaged hair but damaged hair is almost always dry.Another thing that happens with over use of chemicals is that it will damage the hair cuticle so that it no longer closes properly and therefore can not retain moisture in the hair shaft OR the chemical process will remove all natural moisture and you will have to work hard to replace it. There are a couple of scenarios as to why and how hair can become damaged from chemical treatments.While all chemicals do different things..from straightening to curling to lightening to coloring...they all have a significant impact on the hair follicle.There is no absolute way to tell if your hair is damaged without looking at it and testing the strands. However, from what you are writing and the way that it reacts to the ARTec (which does a great job of replacing moisture) I would suspect that you may have some damage which manifests as dryness and tangling and maybe even stretchy hair.When you have damaged hair there are several things you can do. The first thing to do is stop doing any more chemical treatments for as long as possible. The next thing is to find a really great deep conditioning treatment that will penetrate into the shaft of the hair and start to repair some of the damage. There is not guarantee that deep conditioning will permanently repair your damaged hair and it will often take some time to notice a difference.However, deep conditioning is really the only thing you can do to effect a change if hair is at the point where it is damaged. If your hair is just dry, deep conditioning will make a difference and it will be improved with just a few treatments. If it is damaged, it could take as long as a month to turn things around. So patience is definitely required.My article gives some recipes for olive oil deep treatments that you can do at home with plain extra virgin olive oil. If you want to go for the really good stuff I would recommend that you try either the ARTec Moisture Pac (which is very good for deep conditioning) or you consider the Aveda Curressence. In both cases I recommend that you leave the treatments on as long as possible and use a plastic shower cap as well as a hot towel on top of that.I have been known to sleep in olive oil all nite which is super messy (I used lots of towels and wrapped my head up in 2 plastic caps) but I got some good results.The other key to dealing with damaged hair is to treat it very gently. Don't use blow dryers, heating combs or hot rollers. Always use a good moisturizing shampoo like ARTec but maybe use it only on the really dry parts of the hair so that your hair will not just hang as you mentioned.Also, a good cool/cold final rinse will seal the cuticle and will help hold in the moisture from the moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.A good detangling spray that works as a leave-in conditioner like ARTec's KIWI or Aveda's Curressence is good. Towel blot your hair and pick it with a smooth pic or big toothed comb. Take your time, work from the bottom and treat your hair like fine lace.If possible, air dry. If not, use a good heat protecting protect like Aveda Elixer or some of the Phyto products. The #7 creme will work on any damaged hair and help give it moisture.When hair is damaged it requires deep conditioning to help it recover, a break from any more chemicals, elimination of hot styling tools, moisturizing products and patience.The other option is to have the damaged hair trimmed off, but that is always my last resort. I have personally had to have 6 inches of damaged hair removed from my head 10 years ago as a result of a liquid diet and it was my absolute last resort. I tried everything to say it but it was "see through" at the bottom. So it had to go. I cried during that whole visit to the stylist.Anyway...I hope that helped.If your hair is just dry and you do a few deep conditioning treatments and avoid the blow dryer & heated tools and do a cool water rinse, you should see an immediate difference. If not, you may need to work at it for awhile to get your hair back in shape.Let me know if you have more questions.Best wishes. Hang in there.Karen> I'm very confused about the difference between dry and> damaged hair. I think my hair is more damaged from> coloring too often so when I use shampoos and> conditioners for dry hair it makes the hair soft but> it still just hangs there. I guess I'm wondering if I> need a product with more protein to restructure my> hair or more moisture. I've tried ARTec and like the> way it makes my hair soft but it doesn't seem to do> much for the texture and it's still very tangled when> I get out of the shower. I'd really appreciate some> feedback before I spend more money trying new> products. Thanks.Related Link:Hair Straightening Faqs
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:36am
I'm very confused about the difference between dry and damaged hair. I think my hair is more damaged from coloring too often so when I use shampoos and conditioners for dry hair it makes the hair soft but it still just hangs there. I guess I'm wondering if I need a product with more protein to restructure my hair or more moisture. I've tried ARTec and like the way it makes my hair soft but it doesn't seem to do much for the texture and it's still very tangled when I get out of the shower. I'd really appreciate some feedback before I spend more money trying new products. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic