Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhite Girl Interested in Braids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andrea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: White Girl Interested in Braids
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:38am
Hi, I have pretty long (elbow length) extremely fine hair. I love long hair but can never wear it down due to horrible knots. I live in the Metropolitan NY area and was wondering if it would be possible to have my hair braided (either with or without extensions-whatever is less damaging). How long would I be able to keep them in? How are they sealed off at the ends? Is it very expensive? Where could I have this done? I would greatly appreciate as much info as possible on this topic.
Andrea
val clark View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote val clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:40am
> Hi, I have pretty long (elbow length) extremely fine> hair. I love long hair but can never wear it down due> to horrible knots. I live in the Metropolitan NY area> and was wondering if it would be possible to have my> hair braided (either with or without> extensions-whatever is less damaging). How long would> I be able to keep them in? How are they sealed off at> the ends? Is it very expensive? Where could I have> this done? I would greatly appreciate as much info as> possible on this topic.
val clark View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote val clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:40am
Hello Andrea, go to this website. These people do everything from dreds to braids. I am black and wear braids sometimes. These people have shops everywhere and they do all types of hair.Good luck!http://hairpolice.com
anita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:40am
> Hello Andrea, go to this website. These people do> everything from dreds to braids. I am black and wear> braids sometimes. These people have shops everywhere> and they do all types of hair.Good luck!> http://hairpolice.comYes, do that or ask some of your Black friends if they know if they know people that do good braiding. You really don't need extentions because you have long hair already and if they not properly done you can cause serious damage and maybe lose alot of hair. I would not suggest extentions for you or anyone really.As for expense, it depends on what you want. You will spend at least $20 (if you are lucky to find a kid that braids very well!) and up to $200+. Extentions are very costly to put in, so if you go that route be prepared to spend some bucks. I think your best bet is to ask your friends for referrences instead of going the salon route. Braid are not anything that you necessarily need a salon for (unlike chemicals) and anyone w/ good braiding skills can do it. For your length of hair, expect it to take several hours to braid.Lastly, a few suggestions. Do check out sites or magazines w/ braiding styles (Black Hair or other titles) to find a style and method you want. Then ask your friends about someone who does what you're looking for. Second suggestion, decide how long you want to keep them in (that will also effect how much you spend ultimately and the appearance of the braids). Thirdly, wash your hair and condition it BEFORE you get it braided. Lastly, be sure to not let anyone braid too tightly. That will cause damage to your roots. Anymore questions?Anita
hi
etznab View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etznab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:40am
I'm a White woman with also elbow length fine hair and occasionally wear my hair in braids. I do the braiding myself. It's not that difficult once you learn. I practiced on a cheap wig several times before doing my hair. And yes it does take a few hours, but I usually don't do it all at once. I can usually do the front without a mirror, so I do it while watching television. The back takes a little bit more work if you don't have any help. Sometimes if I get tired I wont do my whole head at once. To avoid looking too ridiculous I tie back all my hair in a pony tail. The finished braids kind of just blend in with the rest of the hair. I secure the ends with coated rubberbands, made by Goody.Black woman generally have their hair braided very tightly and close to the scalp. I have found that my hair will break if I try to mimic those styles exactly. Your experience may be different. As a compromise, I tend to braid my hair loser and in bigger strands. Using no extensions, I usually do about 20 braids for my entire head. I have suffered no hair breakage by doing it this way. Since I braid it looser, I can't keep them in too long without them looking very raggedy. Two weeks is usually the max, and usually less than that.I don't wash my hair at all during that time. I use a product called Braid sheen, made by African pride on my scalp to cut down on the itchiness. Every morning I smooth down the braids with extra strength styling gel.And I know exactly what you mean about knots - I was born and raised in NYC, and no hair product prevented those knots when I wore my hair loose. I live in North Carolina now and my hair still tangles but at least it doesn't knot up anymore. I don't know what it is about NY.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic