Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPantene vs. Aveda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Victor Engel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Engel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pantene vs. Aveda
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
As many of you probably know, I've long been a supporter of Pantene, often jumping into the fray when silicones are bing maligned. Now I can report that my opinion is beginning to change. How could that be true? Well first let me give you a little background.I had been using Pantene regularly for a long time because, let's face it, it really works on some hair types, at least right at first. The regular kind did not work for me as well as the one for fine hair, even though my hair is not fine.I read discussions here and elsewhere touting the virtues of Aveda, and I decided to give it a try myself. What a disaster. I used Blue Malva and Cherry Almond Bark. Then I spent about two hours trying to detangle my hair. Not being one to give up over one episode, I continued the treatment, thinking perhaps there was some Pantene residue that may have been contributing to the problem. After I used up the entire tube of Cherry Almond Bark, the situation had not improved. So I switched back to Pantene and my hair was instantly manageable again.Then I heard discussions about Infusium 23. It has silicones also but was touted as not being harsh like Pantene. I tried it and liked it. In fact, I liked it so much that it was all I used for quite a while ... several months anyway. Then I decided to take another whirl at Aveda.This time I decided to try something different. I tried Shampure with Rosemary Mint conditioning rinse. The first thing I noticed was that the flakiness of my scalp went away. Then I noticed that the texture of my hair was different, as if it were somehow cleaner, yet about as manageable as it was when using Infusium 23. Now this is my normal combination, which I punctuate occasionally with a dose of Infusium.I haven't decided yet what happened. Is it my choice of Aveda products? Or is it perhaps that the several months of using Infusium 23 actually helped to leach out the silicone residue from the Pantene. I may not ever know the answer to this, but I do think about it a lot.The only complaint I have is that my hair now tends to form dreadlocks at the base of my neck. This is probably exacerbated by the low humidity and rubbing back and forth by sweater collars. However, I don't remember ever having the problem with a Pantene head.Well, enough of my rambling. Comments appreciated, especially if you are a Pantene fan still.Related Link:Men's Long Hair Site
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
Hee, hee... if I had not read your article before replying, I might have said "The answer is clear, hands down", even though I haven't tried Aveda yet. I mean, everyone has such good things to say about salon brands and not so good things to say about the P one. But if pantene works well for you and if you're happy, go ahead.
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:46am
Victor,Although I am NOT a Pantene fan-- I do understand how you probably feel about silicone bashing. Because I have curly hair, I HAVE to use a drop or two of pure silicone oil before I put on anything else in the morning. However, when I was using Pantene, I think there was too much silicone all together-- I mean it was silicone shampoo, silicone conditioner. and then silicone serum followed by silicone based mousse. I was siliconed up to here, and my curls were falling flat. So I switched to basically silicone free stuff (or at least low on the ingred. list) and kept to the just a drop of pure oil. I also clarify regularly now, and I no longer suffer from ill-formed, stringy curls-- just fluffy ones! So, although silicone is essential for this curly head, the key is moderation!Sherry> As many of you probably know, I've long been a> supporter of Pantene, often jumping into the fray when> silicones are bing maligned. Now I can report that my> opinion is beginning to change. How could that be> true? Well first let me give you a little background.> I had been using Pantene regularly for a long time> because, let's face it, it really works on some hair> types, at least right at first. The regular kind did> not work for me as well as the one for fine hair, even> though my hair is not fine.> I read discussions here and elsewhere touting the> virtues of Aveda, and I decided to give it a try> myself. What a disaster. I used Blue Malva and Cherry> Almond Bark. Then I spent about two hours trying to> detangle my hair. Not being one to give up over one> episode, I continued the treatment, thinking perhaps> there was some Pantene residue that may have been> contributing to the problem. After I used up the> entire tube of Cherry Almond Bark, the situation had> not improved. So I switched back to Pantene and my> hair was instantly manageable again.> Then I heard discussions about Infusium 23. It has> silicones also but was touted as not being harsh like> Pantene. I tried it and liked it. In fact, I liked it> so much that it was all I used for quite a while ...> several months anyway. Then I decided to take another> whirl at Aveda.> This time I decided to try something different. I> tried Shampure with Rosemary Mint conditioning rinse.> The first thing I noticed was that the flakiness of my> scalp went away. Then I noticed that the texture of my> hair was different, as if it were somehow cleaner, yet> about as manageable as it was when using Infusium 23.> Now this is my normal combination, which I punctuate> occasionally with a dose of Infusium.> I haven't decided yet what happened. Is it my choice> of Aveda products? Or is it perhaps that the several> months of using Infusium 23 actually helped to leach> out the silicone residue from the Pantene. I may not> ever know the answer to this, but I do think about it> a lot.> The only complaint I have is that my hair now tends to> form dreadlocks at the base of my neck. This is> probably exacerbated by the low humidity and rubbing> back and forth by sweater collars. However, I don't> remember ever having the problem with a Pantene head.> Well, enough of my rambling. Comments appreciated,> especially if you are a Pantene fan still.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic