Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBraids on a white girl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braids on a white girl
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
*~*~Hi Everybody~*~*!!For a really long time I have wanted cornrow braids, normally only seen on black people. This is because I heard they are good for your hair, and help let the oil distribute evenly, and I LOVE :) the way they look.I have olive complexion and sun lightened golden blonde hair that is medium fine and wavy, about three inches passed my shoulders.I think that if I got braids, extensions would have to bebraided in from near the root to prevent my natural hairfrom looking fly away, breaking off :( and to even out the thickness of the braid.But I don't know if it is even possible, nor do I have any information. If ANYONE has any information or "expertise", links to a website or ANYTHING please put a message up here or email me at JillieBean@angelfire.com
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
Jill, I don't know of any websites or have info per se, but I say go for it! I think braids look incredible on anybody!
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
> *~*~Hi Everybody~*~*!!> For a really long time I have wanted cornrow braids,> normally only seen on black people. This is because I> heard they are good for your hair, and help let the> oil distribute evenly, and I LOVE :) the way they> look.I have never heard of them being good for your hair. On the contrary, I have heard that the traction caused by the cornrows can actually cause a form a alopecia. I can't cite anything either way, and I've had cornrows myself only for a couple of hours.Anyway, I thought you might like to see this picture of Angelo Kelly. He's not a white girl, but it's as close as I could come up with. I think it's an incredible picture of one member of an incredible family, the Kelly Family. Do a web search, and you will find a lot of pictures, some of which show Angelo in cornrows.
Shasta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
Hiya,I just wanted to say that braids can be good for your hair. It gives your hair a break from blow drying and all those things that can damage your hair. I've had braids in my hair lots of times, it makes your hair grow. I've never heard of braids of a whie girl but they look nice on eveyone. Also, it depends on how long your hair is and how long you want your braids. If your hair is shoulder lenght and you want it longer then you would need extentions but if not then i see no need for them and i'm sure you won't get fly aways if you cover your hair when you sleep.
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
> For a really long time I have wanted cornrow braids,> normally only seen on black people. This is because I> heard they are good for your hair, and help let the> oil distribute evenly, and I LOVE :) the way they> look.> I have olive complexion and sun lightened golden> blonde hair that is medium fine and wavy, about three> inches passed my shoulders.> I think that if I got braids, extensions would have to> be braided in from near the root to prevent my natural> hair from looking fly away, breaking off :( and to even> out the thickness of the braid.Well I've seen lots of white girls with braids, although not usually cornrows (braided like a french braid, close to the head)... and I've thought of getting them myself from time to time. In fact I'm probably going to do it for this summer if I can find someone to do them the way I want. Anyways... I think they look cute on caucasian people, although most of the girls I've seen with them either have long hair or extensions to make it long. If you have really fine hair you'd probably want to get extensions because they'll make the braids look thicker in addition to being longer.Before you go to a salon though, I'd suggest reading Plaited Glory: For Colored Girls Who'Ve Considered Braids, Locks, and Twists by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner(reviewed by Karen in the "books" section of this website)... it will give you the low-down on the process, info about extensions and suggestions for finding a good braider.-jj
rene mariga] View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rene mariga] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
> I have never heard of them being good for your hair.> On the contrary, I have heard that the traction caused> by the cornrows can actually cause a form a alopecia.> I can't cite anything either way, and I've had> cornrows myself only for a couple of hours.> Anyway, I thought you might like to see this picture> of Angelo Kelly. He's not a white girl, but it's as> close as I could come up with. I think it's an> incredible picture of one member of an incredible> family, the Kelly Family. Do a web search, and you> will find a lot of pictures, some of which show Angelo> in cornrows.>>>
rene mariga] View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rene mariga] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
If you decide to get braids, just make sure that your hair isn't braided too tightly. That is what causes traction aloepecia. To cornrow your hair going to the back with extentions it would be a benefit to have a strong healthy hairline. I think flyaways and frizz are unavoidable after hair has been braided a certain amount of time. I am a hairbraider, but I never braided caucasian hair. But I do know that the kinky hair is the easiest to braid. The finer or straight hair can be more difficult as far as maintaining the style.
etznab View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etznab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
I have had my hair done in braids serveral times. I have long hair, so I didn't requrie extensions. My hair did not take very well to cornrows at all. There was some breakage, and it was genrally not a "neat" looking style on me. Perhaps that is beacuse my natural hair was used which though in good condition is in many different lengths.I have has other looser braided styles done with great success. After braiding, I have found a product called Braid sheen by african pride to be very useful in combating itchiness.My expereince has been that fine hair is much more prone to fly aways. I rquire rebraiding alot more frequently than some of my Black friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic