Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrassiness between Touch ups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brassiness between Touch ups
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:51am
William,I have med-light brown hair. I color my roots with Loreal's Blonde Supreme No 1. My roots lift to the level I like (lt. blonde) in one step which is better for my hair than bleach. However, I notice that after about 2 weeks, the roots give off a brassy tone. I use Shades EQ in Cafe au Lait to tone my hair which I love. My hair is a fabulous color thanks to the EQ. However, I still get some brassiness at the root line the more the roots grow in. Do you have a recommendation for solving my brassiness problem? THANKS!! Tara
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
William,Unlike Tara, I highlight my hair (the entire head), and I like the results. But, like Tara, I tend to get brassy--especially now since I had to have some color correction done. Is there any shampoo in type thing that will help to tone down the harsh gold? I have used a product by Colorful called "Gold Out", but it doesn't really do the trick. Is there any thing else out there for us girls, short of even more frequent salon visits. I already spend $100 on highlights every two months, I really would like to find a more affordable way to control brassiness.ThanksSherry> William,> I have med-light brown hair. I color my roots with> Loreal's Blonde Supreme No 1. My roots lift to the> level I like (lt. blonde) in one step which is better> for my hair than bleach. However, I notice that after> about 2 weeks, the roots give off a brassy tone. I use> Shades EQ in Cafe au Lait to tone my hair which I> love. My hair is a fabulous color thanks to the EQ.> However, I still get some brassiness at the root line> the more the roots grow in. Do you have a> recommendation for solving my brassiness problem?> THANKS!! Tara
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
> William,> Unlike Tara, I highlight my hair (the entire head),> and I like the results. But, like Tara, I tend to get> brassy--especially now since I had to have some color> correction done. Is there any shampoo in type thing> that will help to tone down the harsh gold? I have> used a product by Colorful called "Gold> Out", but it doesn't really do the trick. Is> there any thing else out there for us girls, short of> even more frequent salon visits. I already spend $100> on highlights every two months, I really would like to> find a more affordable way to control brassiness.> Thanks> SherryTo Sherry/Tara; Your Highlights problem;Please explain whether it is just the roots or all of the lightened hair that is going brassy. Then I can try to help. william
Tara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:52am
> To Sherry/Tara; Your Highlights problem;> Please explain whether it is just the roots or all of> the lightened hair that is going brassy. Then I can> try to help. williamWilliam,My brassiness only occurs at the roots as they grow in. The rest of my hair is toned with Shades EQ and looks great. Hope you can help....Tara
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:53am
William,My problem is my overall color. It's just a bit TOO goldeny. Is there anything that can be done? Thanks in advance!Sherry> To Sherry/Tara; Your Highlights problem;> Please explain whether it is just the roots or all of> the lightened hair that is going brassy. Then I can> try to help. william
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:53am
> William,> My brassiness only occurs at the roots as they grow> in. The rest of my hair is toned with Shades EQ and> looks great. Hope you can help....TaraTo Tara and Sherry;Tara, try Redken Shades 'color enhancing shampoo' in Cafe' Au Lait to enhance your color between touch ups and it will suppress unwanted 'brassy tones'. To Sherry, try Redken Shades EQ in Irish Creme for a toner, it is 'cooler' than Cafe'Au Lait and will give a paler neutral shade to blonde hair. The more 'ashen or cooler' color enhancing shampoos will try to suppress brassy undertones. Also, flourescent lights have an 'unnatural' wavelength of light vs natural sunlight and makes 'brassy tones' appear worse than they already are. If you don't believe me, almost every woman in america owns a 'Clairol True to Light' makeup mirror, try turning out the lights and look in it vs unnatural light. william
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:53am
If just the root area becomes brassy after some time has lapsed, the color you are using must have some toning effects wich unfortunately anytime you are coloring high lift, the toning effects are not long lived. If this is the case, in my experiences, any high lift color that has enough toning ability to make brassiness not noticable on the day you color it, or in other words, the more a high lift color is able to deposit color, the less it is able to lift. Maybe try another high lift color. Don't chose based on the shade. Simply go for the highest lift available. Then add your toner via Shades or toning shampoo products or whatever .
Tara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:53am
> If just the root area becomes brassy after some time> has lapsed, the color you are using must have some> toning effects wich unfortunately anytime you are> coloring high lift, the toning effects are not long> lived. If this is the case, in my experiences, any> high lift color that has enough toning ability to make> brassiness not noticable on the day you color it, or> in other words, the more a high lift color is able to> deposit color, the less it is able to lift. Maybe try> another high lift color. Don't chose based on the> shade. Simply go for the highest lift available. Then> add your toner via Shades or toning shampoo products> or whatever .Paula,Do you have any recommendations for a high lift product that I could use? Thanks Tara
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic