Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSUN-IN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUN-IN
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
Does anyone know exactly what is in Sun-In products that make your hair damage permanetly forever. I tried getting a body wave on my hair but was told by the stylist that it was not possible for me to get a body wave perm since I had used Sun-In products on my hair a couple of years earlier (she had taken the 15 minute perm solution test on my hair to see the results and my hair broke apart). The Stylist told me the only way to get a perm was to cut off the parts where I used Sun-In. Problem is I used it on my whole head. If I cut all my hair, there won't be any hair to perm. Anybody know what to do?
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
Sun-in is NASTY stuff-- and it seems like your hair was extremely succeptable to its virulence! I used Sun-In on my hair about seven years ago (I wanted desperately to have very blonde hair), anyway, when I realized that it didn't look right against my skin tone, I colored over it. I colored over it MANY times. I guess i must have strong hair, beacuse nothing really bad happened (no meltdown). however, this doesn't seem the case with your hair. Now, you said that you have used it about a couple of years earlier (I am assuming that this means about two) So your untouched hair should be about 12 inches by now-- which is what mine is. Why don't you cut your hair into a great sleek little bob instead of perming. This would give you a ploished, sophisticated look and make your hair feel and look it's best. Ask your stylist to add some light layering to the bottom of the cut for a more sexy, swingy look. Sometimes, it really is best to just close your eyes and CHOP-- one thing good, hair does grow back, and twelve inches is considered medium length (not short) anyway! Good luck!Sherry> Does anyone know exactly what is in Sun-In products> that make your hair damage permanetly forever. I tried> getting a body wave on my hair but was told by the> stylist that it was not possible for me to get a body> wave perm since I had used Sun-In products on my hair> a couple of years earlier (she had taken the 15 minute> perm solution test on my hair to see the results and> my hair broke apart). The Stylist told me the only way> to get a perm was to cut off the parts where I used> Sun-In. Problem is I used it on my whole head. If I> cut all my hair, there won't be any hair to perm.> Anybody know what to do?
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:56am
Hi,Yep, I used the stuff years ago myself, and when I wanted to perm, they told me the same thing. From what I remember being told by my stylist at the time (mid 80's), it's a straight bleach, and nothing else-I take that to mean no buffers in it, like you would get with lightners such as CLAIROL's Born Blonde and others. Beware of the other Sun-In type products-Clairol and L'oreal both make a similar product that sprays out of a pump, I think it's just about like using Sun-In, so you'll have the same problems with them, I think. By the way, I do notice that these companies as well as Sun-In make the same type of productin a mix-together formula that comes in a box..I wonder if that would be healthier for the hair-i.e. more like regular lightening then the spray in kind. Actually I'm assuming that you DID use the spray-in type, and no the one in the box. If you didn't, could you please post? Thanks, and i hope I've been of help.Holly
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:57am
Hi it's lisa again. Actually you are right I did use the Sun-In spray. I haven't used Sun-In for about 3 or 4 years ago but during the years I have used the boxed hair dyes by Revlon, etc(for only my roots). My hair is just below my bottom. I would like to get a body wave soo bad. I can't imagine me cutting my hair up to a bob and then starting to regrow my hair all over again. It took me about 7 years just to get it this length. I wish their was a perm where people did not have to use those perm chemicals.
William View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
> Does anyone know exactly what is in Sun-In products> that make your hair damage permanetly forever. I tried> getting a body wave on my hair but was told by the> stylist that it was not possible for me to get a body> wave perm since I had used Sun-In products on my hair> a couple of years earlier (she had taken the 15 minute> perm solution test on my hair to see the results and> my hair broke apart). The Stylist told me the only way> to get a perm was to cut off the parts where I used> Sun-In. Problem is I used it on my whole head. If I> cut all my hair, there won't be any hair to perm.> Anybody know what to do?To Lisa;The 'Sun In' seems to be very aggressive in its lightening and several people have had the same results that you have had. You failed to mention if the new growth (12") has been lightened in any way or not? A simple way to check for hair competentcy for perming or coloring is to take a single hair and hold about 2-3 inches between your fingers and try to stretch it slightly, about 20% of the length, and see if it springs back to its original length or does it just break. Do this in several places starting at the end and travel to the scalp end. If it passes this test, next run a warm but not hot cup of water and lay it on the surface of the water, if it floats it is not 'overly porus', if it sinks immediately it is too porus and must be reconditioned or trimmed to get rid of the overly porus hair. I question the strand test that was done on your hair,most perms for bleached hair will be rinsed before the full length of timing is reached. Most perms take about 20 minutes to process, however this is varies with the mfr and type of perm. Try the simple tests I described and email me if you pass and I will be more specific, you may still be able to get the body wave that you wanted! william
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:58am
Hi again,Actually I was once told not too many years ago that perms are possible if your hair is in the right condition, so I agree with William on this-just be Very, Very careful. There are perms for bleached hair, but still it's a risk to have it permed all over your hair. You have to make up your mind that your taking maybe a BIG chance, so you have to weigh all this and then decide. I think myself that even if I got the go-ahead from a professional, I STILL wouldn't do it. If you do decide, I wish you success with it, and make sure that you have a great deep-conditioner that you use every week, but careful with too many protein conditioners, I'd alternate with a more moisturizing-ingredients or hot oil (one with a lot of real oil, not a hot oil that just says hot oil, because they're not what they say they are, so what's the point?)one week and protein the next. Gentle shampoos like Nexxus Therappe and Humectress conditioner are a must. Thats what I use and i can't recommend anything better. Look at the postings on Nexxus here on Hair Talk, to learn more about it. Probably one of the most important things is, DO NOT BRUSH A PERM On BLEACHED HAIR. I just think it'll be to weak to withstand it, or at least take the curl or wave out and be left with only frizz. O.K., let us know what you decide.Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic