Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWrapping (not blow drying) Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrapping (not blow drying) Hair
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
I've got black hair and I've been wrapping it as opposed to blowdrying it for about 3 months now. I've noticed over the last month that my hair has become dry and brittle. I've used the Aveena products (which I hated) and my favorites Creme of Nature and Humectress. These products work wonders, but only for about a day.I'm not doing anything different except sitting under the dryer for 2hours (under a medium setting) and doing this twice a week (I can't stand to have dirty smelly hair!).Does anyone know of any deeeeeep moisturizing products that I can use? What about that Wella Kolesteral? I really don't want to wash my hair less frequently and I love the way it looks when I wrap it. Any suggestions anyone?
etznab View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etznab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
My African-American room mate in college loved Kolesteral, and she had nice hair that spent a lot of time with a curling iron. She would wet her hair slightly, apply the creme to her hair, sit under the dryer for about half an hour, and then go wash her hair.
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
Hi there!Wrappping is an awesome idea and it does work-- if you've got the time for it:) Now, about your dryness-- I have curly hair that I sometimes like to wear straight, so I know where you are coming from. When I straighten my hair, I always use some ARTec Moisture Pac on it before hand-- I DO NOT rinse this out. Since you sit under the dryer, I am SURE that the results of this Pac will be intesified for you. When I have the time to sit under a dryer, my results are amazing! As for the Kolestral, I have used this in the past and I find it to be very greasy/heavy and not something you want in your hair if you are only washing twice a week. Remember, the more the heavier the styling product that you put in your hair, the more dust and debris that it will attract during the course of the day, not to mention days! The ARTec Moisture Pac is light, yet intense and I highly reccommend that you give it a try!Sherry> I've got black hair and I've been wrapping it as> opposed to blowdrying it for about 3 months now. I've> noticed over the last month that my hair has become> dry and brittle. I've used the Aveena products (which> I hated) and my favorites Creme of Nature and> Humectress. These products work wonders, but only for> about a day.> I'm not doing anything different except sitting under> the dryer for 2hours (under a medium setting) and> doing this twice a week (I can't stand to have dirty> smelly hair!).> Does anyone know of any deeeeeep moisturizing products> that I can use? What about that Wella Kolesteral? I> really don't want to wash my hair less frequently and> I love the way it looks when I wrap it. Any> suggestions anyone?
MELISSA S. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MELISSA S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
Have you tried Paul Mitchell's Super-Charged Conditioner??I have medium length relaxed hair, and I find that the conditioner really works wonders for my super dry hair. I also use Paul Mitchell's The Wash, which is a really good moisturizing shampoo. Cream of Nature products are OK, but they sometimes leave a dulling build-up in my hair which causes it to look even drier.
Johannah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 3:59am
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is wrapping? Is it something that you do to dry your hair? How do you do it and how does it work? I have never heard of this before. Thank you. - Johannah
Renita View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:00am
> I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what is wrapping?> Is it something that you do to dry your hair? How do> you do it and how does it work? I have never heard of> this before. Thank you. - JohannahWrapping is the process of taking wet or dry hair and smoothing it around your head using a comb or brush. Think of it as using your head as a giant roller. Wrapping helps straighten the hair without using direct blowdrying and other heated products.For Mimi,I use CPR, Critical Protection and Repair by Motions. It's a deep conditioner in a yellow container (with a purple top) that leaves my hair very soft and well conditioned. I use it after washing my hair with Extra Moisturizing detangling shampoo by Creme of Nature. You can find CPR in your local beauty supply store. Following the wash, I use a little Potion 9 from Sebastian and Dark and Lovely setting lotion before I wrap. If I'm short on time, I put myself under the drying. Otherwise, I cover my wrap with a silky scarf and let it air dry. Both ways work well for me.
Mimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:00am
Thanks, Renita. I also used some of the ARTec moisture pak conditioner today and I like it. Your suggestion to let the hair air dry is great and I'll try it just before I go to bed.Thanks! - MimiWrapping is the process of taking wet or dry hair and> smoothing it around your head using a comb or brush.> Think of it as using your head as a giant roller.> Wrapping helps straighten the hair without using> direct blowdrying and other heated products.> For Mimi,> I use CPR, Critical Protection and Repair by Motions.> It's a deep conditioner in a yellow container (with a> purple top) that leaves my hair very soft and well> conditioned. I use it after washing my hair with Extra> Moisturizing detangling shampoo by Creme of Nature.> You can find CPR in your local beauty supply store.> Following the wash, I use a little Potion 9 from> Sebastian and Dark and Lovely setting lotion before I> wrap. If I'm short on time, I put myself under the> drying. Otherwise, I cover my wrap with a silky scarf> and let it air dry. Both ways work well for me.
Mimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
> Sherry,I tried your suggestion with the Artec leave-in last night. Oh, my god, what great stuff this is! Have you tried the smoothing serum or the conditioning shampoo? If they work as great as the moisture pak, then I'll buy those, too.Thanks! - - - MimiHi there!> Wrappping is an awesome idea and it does work-- if> you've got the time for it:) Now, about your dryness--> I have curly hair that I sometimes like to wear> straight, so I know where you are coming from. When I> straighten my hair, I always use some ARTec Moisture> Pac on it before hand-- I DO NOT rinse this out. Since> you sit under the dryer, I am SURE that the results of> this Pac will be intesified for you. When I have the> time to sit under a dryer, my results are amazing! As> for the Kolestral, I have used this in the past and I> find it to be very greasy/heavy and not something you> want in your hair if you are only washing twice a> week. Remember, the more the heavier the styling> product that you put in your hair, the more dust and> debris that it will attract during the course of the> day, not to mention days! The ARTec Moisture Pac is> light, yet intense and I highly reccommend that you> give it a try!> Sherry
Sherry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Hi Mimi,I'm so glad that the Moisture Pac worked for you. Now about the other products that you mentioned. I have used the conditioning shampoo in the past, but I found that it didn't lather well, and my scalp was not getting very clean-- So, I gave Sebastian Potion 5 a shot-- and I'm glad that I did! Potion 5 is really phenominal stuff-- I swear it was made for curly, processed hair! I love the ARTec Smoothing Conditioner, so I follow up Potion 5 with that and togther they work increadibly. Now, if I blow my hair straight, I use the Moisture Pac as a leave in followed by Phytodefrisent and Citre Shine Straightening balm (sometimes I put in a little smoothing serum too!) Now, where I really like the smoothing serum is for when I dry naturally. I use Potion 9, followed by some smoothing serum combined with ARTec Volume Gel! Talk about frizz free curls. But, if drying your hair naturally is not an option, the smoothing serum is wonderful for straightening. Since you wrap, I really bet that it would help keep things extra smooth! Good luck and let me know how it goes!SherryPS-- I'm so glad that you liked the moisture pac! It is the ultimate intensive treatment, and for us girls who straighten it all out, it is the BEST leave in!
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
I used to swear by Wella Kolestral...and have used the cheap Queen Helene version as well. Used it pretty much the same as your roommate, and loved the results. And that was when my hair was mid-back length!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic