Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQuestion about Nature's Gate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Nature's Gate
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:00am
Hi all,Recently, I've been using Nature's Gate Herbal shampoo andconditioner. I've been liking the results -- as long as Ideep condition my hair (once a week) by glopping theconditioner onto my dry hair hours before showering. If Idon't do this my hair tends toward it's natural state --slightly dry.Anyway, I looked at the ingredients on both and I like thefact that there are so many natural ingredients. But Iwonder about the "vegetable emulsifying wax" (low) in thelist of ingredients of the conditioner. Will this wax havean adverse effect on my hair after using this product forawhile? Do the other varieties of NG use wax in theconditioner? Does anybody who uses NG have any words ofadvice on the long-term effect on their hair from using NG,specifically if they have had any problems with dryness?Thanks in advance,Dave
David M Squires
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:00am
I love Natures Gate, I'm a pretty big fan of it.I use their Aloe treatment conditioner along with Artec's Kiwi shampoo. It makes a great combination and doesn't coat my hair at all. It is the best conditioner that I have used for a loooong time.It also protects my hair from the sun and where I live, I need that.Well, through and through, there was no wax build up at all.I'm not sure what kind of wax that is, but I sometimes scrape a strand of my hair to see if there is any wax buildup, and there isn't any with Nature's gate. I've been using their conditioner for around 3 months now. Other conditioners like biolage, and herbal essence leaves a lot of wax. To do a scrape test, take a single strand of hair and scrape it very, very gently with the edge of the scissors, be sure to cut the strand of hair off afterwards. YOu don't even have to press it the least bit hard, wax is easy to see.
Question View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Question Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Hi, Dave,I use Nature's Gate as well and I have not experienced any waxy build up (fortunately). I do alternate with Aveda and Artec. As far as dryness, the variety I use the most is the jojoba shampoo and conditioner, which I think is the most moisturizing of the line. I have started to experiment with mixing the jojoba variety with Artec smoothing products and Aveda Shampure, and I have had good results so far. Also, I know that Dawn has said that she has used Nature's Gate for a long time and has not experienced build up. Hope this helps.Regards,Clare> Hi all,> Recently, I've been using Nature's Gate Herbal shampoo> and> conditioner. I've been liking the results -- as long> as I> deep condition my hair (once a week) by glopping the> conditioner onto my dry hair hours before showering.> If I> don't do this my hair tends toward it's natural state> --> slightly dry.> Anyway, I looked at the ingredients on both and I like> the> fact that there are so many natural ingredients. But I> wonder about the "vegetable emulsifying wax"> (low) in the> list of ingredients of the conditioner. Will this wax> have> an adverse effect on my hair after using this product> for> awhile? Do the other varieties of NG use wax in the> conditioner? Does anybody who uses NG have any words> of> advice on the long-term effect on their hair from> using NG,> specifically if they have had any problems with> dryness?> Thanks in advance,> Dave
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Hi. I was wondering, how is the ARTec Kiwi shampoo different the smoothing and/or volumizing shampoo? How does it leave your hair? Also, does Nature's Gate have any volumizing products or do they stick to just the moisturizing ones? Thanks.> I love Natures Gate, I'm a pretty big fan of it.> I use their Aloe treatment conditioner along with> Artec's Kiwi shampoo. It makes a great combination and> doesn't coat my hair at all. It is the best> conditioner that I have used for a loooong time.> It also protects my hair from the sun and where I> live, I need that.> Well, through and through, there was no wax build up> at all.> I'm not sure what kind of wax that is, but I sometimes> scrape a strand of my hair to see if there is any wax> buildup, and there isn't any with Nature's gate. I've> been using their conditioner for around 3 months now.> Other conditioners like biolage, and herbal essence> leaves a lot of wax. To do a scrape test, take a> single strand of hair and scrape it very, very gently> with the edge of the scissors, be sure to cut the> strand of hair off afterwards. YOu don't even have to> press it the least bit hard, wax is easy to see.
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
> Hi. I was wondering, how is the ARTec Kiwi shampoo> different the smoothing and/or volumizing shampoo? How> does it leave your hair? Also, does Nature's Gate have> any volumizing products or do they stick to just the> moisturizing ones? Thanks.NG's Awapuhi is for thin, fine hair. Even tho I havethick hair I use it and it makes my hair feel more full. As for the initial question about the wax. I had asked Karen months ago about this myself..but even after doing research I cannot find where this type of wax is harmful.NG is full of good stuff. If your hair is more towards the dry side...give the Jojoba version a try or the Rosemary conditioner. Good luck.. Cher~
LittleO View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Artec makes a whole Kiwi line of shampoos and conditioners. Its called Kiwi because it has kiwi in it, the shampoo is green and smells like kiwi:)Anyways, I use the one called Kiwi colorline. I went to a salon and it was the only Artec KIWI shampoo that they had. I have never tried Artec's smoothing or volumizing. I'd have to say though, this Kiwi shampoo is the best, it leaves your hair very volumized especially if you wash your hair twice, it smooths it out pretty much, and seals in moisture, color and oh... especially shine. Especially if you do a vinegar rinse to begin with (see one of my recent posts about vinegar rinsing, you'll find my whole hair routine).I reccommend this to anyone who needs shiny hair, and especially volume.I really haven't tried any other Nature's gate products, but once I tried their Jojoba shampoo and conditioner. I didn't like it as well as I do the Aloe conditioner, I have no idea, everyone else likes the jojoba one better.
Dawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:01am
Yes, Clare's right, I've been using NG stuff for more years than I can remember now, probably 12 plus years at least, and its really been consistent in its effectiveness. Sometimes certain varieties will make my hair a bit more flyaway than others, but that seems to be related to the time of year and the humidity in the air. Lately I've been using the keratin and jojoba varieties but I like to switch off with some aloe and original herbal every few shampoos with some awapuhi when I want a dramatic "big fluffy hair" day. I wish my store would carry some chamomile, I'd love to try that kind, but regarding the waxes, I'm fairly certain all the varieties have some form of them as a means to make the product itself creamy in texture. I've never seen any adverse affects on my hair from these ingredients and in fact, the one or two times I can even remember trying another brand (salon stuff) I was so disappointed by the performance (and the five or six dyes in the last ingredient line) I've been very reluctant to venture out from this little universe of Nature's Gate.I've always been terribly curious about the exact characteristics of these ingredients though, Dave, and if you do find out what those waxes are and what they are meant to do, please post won't you?Oh, BTW, for hair that tends a little toward dry, try the keratin or jojoba conditioners as a second step. I've been using the shampoo and conditioner pair (pick a variety) rinsing lightly and applying a second conditioner of either keratin or jojoba or sometimes both. This additional condition step with each shampoo has allowed me to give up the weekly deep conditioning I used to do but don't often seem to have time for these days.Hope that helps, since we sure don't want anything to harm that magnificient head of hair of yours Dave, it is sooooo very..... oooooo, don't get me started about men with long hair!!!Best wishes to all,Dawn> Hi all,> Recently, I've been using Nature's Gate Herbal shampoo> and> conditioner. I've been liking the results -- as long> as I> deep condition my hair (once a week) by glopping the> conditioner onto my dry hair hours before showering.> If I> don't do this my hair tends toward it's natural state> --> slightly dry.> Anyway, I looked at the ingredients on both and I like> the> fact that there are so many natural ingredients. But I> wonder about the "vegetable emulsifying wax"> (low) in the> list of ingredients of the conditioner. Will this wax> have> an adverse effect on my hair after using this product> for> awhile? Do the other varieties of NG use wax in the> conditioner? Does anybody who uses NG have any words> of> advice on the long-term effect on their hair from> using NG,> specifically if they have had any problems with> dryness?> Thanks in advance,> Dave
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
You're right, Dawn, "question" was me. Somehow, I must have put "question" in the name slot and did not even notice it. Then my browser was saying "Welcome back, Question." It kind of made me laugh. But I think I have it fixed now.Thanks,Clare> Yes, Clare's right, I've been using NG stuff for more> years than I can remember now, probably 12 plus years> at least, and its really been consistent in its> effectiveness. Sometimes certain varieties will make> my hair a bit more flyaway than others, but that seems> to be related to the time of year and the humidity in> the air. Lately I've been using the keratin and jojoba> varieties but I like to switch off with some aloe and> original herbal every few shampoos with some awapuhi> when I want a dramatic "big fluffy hair"> day. I wish my store would carry some chamomile, I'd> love to try that kind, but regarding the waxes, I'm> fairly certain all the varieties have some form of> them as a means to make the product itself creamy in> texture. I've never seen any adverse affects on my> hair from these ingredients and in fact, the one or> two times I can even remember trying another brand> (salon stuff) I was so disappointed by the performance> (and the five or six dyes in the last ingredient line)> I've been very reluctant to venture out from this> little universe of Nature's Gate.> I've always been terribly curious about the exact> characteristics of these ingredients though, Dave, and> if you do find out what those waxes are and what they> are meant to do, please post won't you?> Oh, BTW, for hair that tends a little toward dry, try> the keratin or jojoba conditioners as a second step.> I've been using the shampoo and conditioner pair (pick> a variety) rinsing lightly and applying a second> conditioner of either keratin or jojoba or sometimes> both. This additional condition step with each shampoo> has allowed me to give up the weekly deep conditioning> I used to do but don't often seem to have time for> these days.> Hope that helps, since we sure don't want anything to> harm that magnificient head of hair of yours Dave, it> is sooooo very..... oooooo, don't get me started about> men with long hair!!!> Best wishes to all,> Dawn
Clare
Jen Bahney View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Bahney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
Nature's Gate is my all-time favorite hair-care line, and I've tried quite a few! I'm currently using the Herbal Shampoo and conditioner, just like Dave. The smell is fabulous! Glad to know there are so many other NG fans out there!Related Link:Bowers-Bahney Communications
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
To Dawn, Cher, Clare, LittleO,Thank you all for your replies to my question!I tried the "scrape test" and could not get anything to "scrape off."Either there's no wax build-up, or I didn't use the right technique...although I did hear the scraping sound.Maybe our resident expert Laura Jane could offer some insight into thevalue (and possible side effects) of the "emulsifying wax." A briefreview of Merriam Webster's dictionary (http://www.m-w.com) along withsome speculation makes me think that the purpose of the "emulsifyingwax" may be either to distribute the wax (oil) itself throughout theconditioner, or to help mix the other ingredients together better.But then again, this is just a guess. (Laura Jane, where are you?)Clare, the products you have been using are the exact same ones I havebeen using (Aveda Shampure, ARTec smoothing, NG) for the past 10 months.Do you alternate every time you shampoo? Please tell me more about howyou mix up your use of these products. I tend to use the same productfor longer stretches -- weeks at least, if not months. I used Avedashampure for 7 straight months with nothing but great results.Based on the many recommendations for it, I am going to buy some of theNG Jojoba shampoo and conditioner.DaveP.S. Oh Dawn... to hear YOU, long-hair goddess with the fantastic hair,speak so favorably of MY hair is almost too much to believe. Thank you!You are too sweet :-)
David M Squires
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
> Hi all,> Recently, I've been using Nature's Gate Herbal shampoo> and> conditioner. I've been liking the results -- as long> as I> deep condition my hair (once a week) by glopping the> conditioner onto my dry hair hours before showering.> If I> don't do this my hair tends toward it's natural state> --> slightly dry.> Anyway, I looked at the ingredients on both and I like> the> fact that there are so many natural ingredients. But I> wonder about the "vegetable emulsifying wax"> (low) in the> list of ingredients of the conditioner. Will this wax> have> an adverse effect on my hair after using this product> for> awhile? Do the other varieties of NG use wax in the> conditioner? Does anybody who uses NG have any words> of> advice on the long-term effect on their hair from> using NG,> specifically if they have had any problems with> dryness?> Thanks in advance,> DaveI have long, blonde, color-treated hair, so I bought the keratin and panthenol shampoo and conditioner. I love the way it leaves my hair. Shiny, soft, clean wonderful hair. I love the natural ingredients, and the no animal testing (a plus). As to the wax question, the emulsifying wax is what stays on your hair after you rinse, that's what keeps your hair soft and manageable. I'm just glad it is vegetable wax and not animal wax (yuck)! Try the keratin and panthenol products, if you are still worried about the wax, I did not see any wax ingredients in those bottles. Let me know how those work for you :)
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:05am
Hi, Dave,Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I alternate shampoos and conditioners almost everyday. My most common are the Artec smoothing pair, Aveda Shampure (I will usually combine this with a NG conditioner, usually the jojoba), NG jojoba pair, NG rainwater shampoo and rosemary conditioner, and sometimes I throw in a shampoo with Aveda Blue Malva or Black Malva. I want to try Aveda color conditioners, but have not gotten to yet. I always use Aveda Elixer as a leave-in. I love that product because it doesnt weigh my hair down or make it sticky, or any of those types of problems. Oh, yeah, sometimes I use Aubrey Organics JAY shampoo and GPB conditioner. (I have a lot of hair care products).Some new additions to the list as of this weekend:Artec Kiwi Shampoo (Love the smell)NG Aloe conditioner (on sale for $3 a bottle)Willow Lake Carrot extract/milk conditioner.I am a hair care product junkie. Sort of. As far as finishing products: I use (alternating): Aveda Styling Currescence, Aveda Phomollient, Artec smoothing serum (which I really like), Aubrey Organics B5 gel, and Aveda Confixor.For all of you NG fans looking to maybe save some money:If you're a member of a Coop or have other access to ordering NG products, The herbal and rainwater varieties of shampoo and conditioners are available in bulk gallon sized containers, which is cheaper in the long run. Just a thought if you want to save some $$$.Regards,Clare> To Dawn, Cher, Clare, LittleO,> Thank you all for your replies to my question!> I tried the "scrape test" and could not get> anything to "scrape off."> Either there's no wax build-up, or I didn't use the> right technique...> although I did hear the scraping sound.> Maybe our resident expert Laura Jane could offer some> insight into the> value (and possible side effects) of the> "emulsifying wax." A brief> review of Merriam Webster's dictionary> (http://www.m-w.com) along with> some speculation makes me think that the purpose of> the "emulsifying> wax" may be either to distribute the wax (oil)> itself throughout the> conditioner, or to help mix the other ingredients> together better.> But then again, this is just a guess. (Laura Jane,> where are you?)> Clare, the products you have been using are the exact> same ones I have> been using (Aveda Shampure, ARTec smoothing, NG) for> the past 10 months.> Do you alternate every time you shampoo? Please tell> me more about how> you mix up your use of these products. I tend to use> the same product> for longer stretches -- weeks at least, if not months.> I used Aveda> shampure for 7 straight months with nothing but great> results.> Based on the many recommendations for it, I am going> to buy some of the> NG Jojoba shampoo and conditioner.> Dave> P.S. Oh Dawn... to hear YOU, long-hair goddess with> the fantastic hair,> speak so favorably of MY hair is almost too much to> believe. Thank you!> You are too sweet :-)
Clare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic