Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI want stronger hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want stronger hair!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind of protein in it. Should I be using products with protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?
Cathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:02am
> Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and> they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I> noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind> of protein in it. Should I be using products with> protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?Hi Roberta, I have color-treated and permed hair, so it's just a bit fragile. The best thing I have found for this problem is panthenol--there are many products on the market with panthenol (make sure it's listed close to the top of ingredients, so you'll know there's a lot in there), but my personal favorite is Infusium 23 Original Formula treatment. Their other products are very good too, but the leave-in treatment has saved my hair--makes it look and feel healthy again. Good luck!
Cathy
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
> Hi Roberta, I have color-treated and permed hair, so> it's just a bit fragile. The best thing I have found> for this problem is panthenol--there are many products> on the market with panthenol (make sure it's listed> close to the top of ingredients, so you'll know> there's a lot in there), but my personal favorite is> Infusium 23 Original Formula treatment. Their other> products are very good too, but the leave-in treatment> has saved my hair--makes it look and feel healthy> again. Good luck!Don't their shampoo's contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate? I thought this dried out hair.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
I agree with the response of Cathy. You do need Panthenol, but I don't agree with using products that contain silicone which Infusium does. As always, I suggest Nexxus Therappe and Humectress. You can read through some of the earlier postings on these products, and the best way to use them and also why silicone is not recommended. If you want, do a search on Nexxus and then silicones on the Hairtalk page.I recommend these Nexxus products because they contain protein as well which is very important for having strong hair.If you deep condition with a protein pack be careful not to over do that; too much protein can backlash but use your own judgement.Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
Yes it does and you're right. Don't use them, I wouldn't.Holly
Shannon G. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannon G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
Nexxus products are pretty good but they don't have as much protein as some other brands. If you can find L'anza they make a good shampoo that's loaded with protein (curls and color protein plus shampoo). If not read the ingredients, look for keratin protien or human hair protien. Also search the board for "stronger hair" or something similar.I know a lot of the women on the board use Aveda Shampure and Curressance(sp) with good results.hope this helps.Shannon G.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
>Hi, Roberta!I have to agree with Cathy that Infusium 23 Leave-In Conditioning Treatment, Original Formula is an excellent product, even with the "cones." I have used this product for several years and have never had a problem with buildup or backlash in any way. I would not recommmend the shampoos because as you noted they have SLF in them and are generally quite harsh.I have never been a fan of protein shampoos and certainly not Nexxus products. I have known too many people who have had adverse reactions or simply felt that they had wasted money. Also, I think you would be much better off if you were eating some more protein for your hair and more importantly adding some sulfur rich foods to your diet like eggs, onions, brocolli, etc.I honestly think that you should find a gentle shampoo and concentrate on a superior conditioner for strengthening your hair, in addition to dietary increases of the above or perhaps a good supplement for your hair specifically. Shannon mentioned Aveda's Shampure. It is extremely gentle and effective, and one of the few products in the Aveda line which I liked. Personally, I use Aubrey Organics J.A.Y. (jojoba, aloe, yucca) shampoo and love it because it is gentle and has no sodium lauryl sulfate in it to which my scalp is sensitive. THere are others, too. You might also try the Biotin Shampoo which Aubrey offers through the men's line which is certainly fine for a woman's hair. Whatever you choose, just make it gentle:)Take care and all the best,Jade21Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and> they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I> noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind> of protein in it. Should I be using products with> protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
> Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and> they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I> noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind> of protein in it. Should I be using products with> protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?Try Nature's Gate herbal keratin shampoo with panthenol, and the conditioner with keratin and panthenol. They have a lot of herbal extracts and keratin amino acids. The smell is wonderful and fruity. It leaves hair clean, shiny, ph 5.5balanced and manageable. They also have natural sunscreens anti-UVA and UVB. The keratin amino acids are: isoleucine, leucine, lycine, methionine, cystine, phenylalanine, threonine, tyrosine, valine, arginine, histidine, alanine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, glycine, proline, serine and tryptophan. Try them and see if you like it. Let me know how it works out. Oh, plus try Infusium 23 leave-in treatment, works wonders for me.
Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and> they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I> noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind> of protein in it. Should I be using products with> protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?Try Pantene's new Ultra V line, especially the Strengthening Complex. The latter is expensive for a place like Walmart or Target--it costs around $10.00--but it has worked wonders on my hair. I saw results in about a week or so. Good luck!
ethel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:11am
> Ok, I've been using the ARTec products for a while and> they do make my hair soft but it's still breaking. I> noticed the ARTec smoothing line doesn't have any kind> of protein in it. Should I be using products with> protein or keratin in it to make it stronger?Panthenol is definitely the way to go, but most commercial products do not contain enough to make big difference, so I buy it pure and add it to my own shampoo and conditioner. It strengthens my fragile, baby-fine hair and temporarily seals tears and split-ends, thus reducing breakage. If you would like to try doing this, go to www.nowfoods.com, click on "find NOW" at the bottom of the screen, go to "Discount Natural Foods", click on "Vitamins" under Online Ordering, Click on the "P" category, and scroll down to PANTHENOL-D LIQ. At $3.63 for an ounce jar, it is even lower than NOW's own list price (Check out both price lists) and DNF does not charge postage or any other costs. NOW's web site recommends that you add 1/2 once to 16 oz. of your favorite shampoo and your conditioner. Panthenol is a clear, very viscuous (thick) liquid but it dissolves easily in shampoos and water-based conditioners. I just discovered it and my hair is much stronger and breakage is virtually down to zero! I add it to Dr. Bronner's liquid Castile soap and use it as a shampoo, and to my conditioner. (The soap is available at any health food store.) As an extra bonus, the panthenol also makes my thin hair look much thicker! I'm sure you will love it as much as I do!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic