Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVinegar Rinse - Word of Caution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinegar Rinse - Word of Caution
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
Hi EveryoneI just tried the vinegar rinse that was described in some earlier messages. My hair is still wet, so I don't know if it is any shinier than ususal or not.I do have a word of caution to anyone with sensitive skin. Be careful not to let the vinegar drip down onto your skin when you are applying it to your hair.I poured the slightly warmed apple cider vinegar slowly over my hair letting it penetrate to the scalp. I did this while standing in the bathtub right before taking a shower. I let is sit for about five minutes. When I got out of the shower, I noticed that my left shoulder was feeling rather warm. When I looked in the mirror I noticed that my shoulder was completely red (like a pretty substantial sunburn) and there were trails of red skin going down my arm and chest.I'm sure it will fade, and it just feels like a mild sunburn. But I thought I'd let the rest of you with sensitive skin know to be cautious and not let it drip.Has anyone else had this problem? Or are you always sure not to get it on your skin?Teresa
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:03am
Hi Teresa,That's funny, when I was a kid we used to put vinigar on our skin to soothe sunburn after a day at the beach. I did'nt see the article about vinegar rinse that you refered to, but I never heard of using straight vinegar to rinse with, only a little vinegar mixed with water to get any soap residue out.
Juna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
I never had that problem either but I dilute the vinegar with warm water, and I am usually dripping wet when I do this. Also, I never leave it on my hair long at all, just enough to rinse through.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
> I never had that problem either but I dilute the> vinegar with warm water, and I am usually dripping wet> when I do this. Also, I never leave it on my hair long> at all, just enough to rinse through.I thought from read I read in beauty magazines that the vinegar used should be white vinegar? I'm not sure. At any rate, diluting the vinegar should always be part of the process, just like Paula and Juna mentioned.
Juna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
> I thought from read I read in beauty magazines that> the vinegar used should be white vinegar? I'm not> sure. At any rate, diluting the vinegar should always> be part of the process, just like Paula and Juna> mentioned.Hi Holly!Yes...white vinegar, diluted. And I would not over do this. I use vinegar maybe once a month. But it was my gramma who would put the apple cidar vinegar on my hair when I was little, she told me it would bring out the reddish tones. I had dark brown hair with natural highlights that shimmered red. My hair naturally lightened as a teen to blonder shades... maybe the ocean air... but I switched to using the distilled white vinegar. Now I have colored hair (don't ask me why I did this) and I still find the rinse working out for me.Juna
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
>Hi, Teresa!I have heard of using white and apple cider vinegar. The apple cider is best when diluted with warm water, with the vinegar being about one quarter of the solution. Vinegar is good for shine, but I have found it to be much better for clarifying purposes. Definitely don't use it on a daily basis. Have you ever tried a mixture with lemon juice and warm water? Personally, I think this works better. Moreover, there are a few manufacturers which make herbal rinses and you should have no problem with sensitivity. They are extremely gentle. I am familiar with the one by Aubrey Organics. And lest we not forget the good ole can of beer for the ultimate in shine, especially if your hair is blonde:)Bye for now,Jade21Hi Everyone> I just tried the vinegar rinse that was described in> some earlier messages. My hair is still wet, so I> don't know if it is any shinier than ususal or not.> I do have a word of caution to anyone with sensitive> skin. Be careful not to let the vinegar drip down onto> your skin when you are applying it to your hair.> I poured the slightly warmed apple cider vinegar> slowly over my hair letting it penetrate to the scalp.> I did this while standing in the bathtub right before> taking a shower. I let is sit for about five minutes.> When I got out of the shower, I noticed that my left> shoulder was feeling rather warm. When I looked in the> mirror I noticed that my shoulder was completely red> (like a pretty substantial sunburn) and there were> trails of red skin going down my arm and chest.> I'm sure it will fade, and it just feels like a mild> sunburn. But I thought I'd let the rest of you with> sensitive skin know to be cautious and not let it> drip.> Has anyone else had this problem? Or are you always> sure not to get it on your skin?> Teresa
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
> I have heard of using white and apple cider vinegar.> The apple cider is best when diluted with warm water,> with the vinegar being about one quarter of the> solution. Vinegar is good for shine, but I have found> it to be much better for clarifying purposes.> Definitely don't use it on a daily basis.Huh... my hair actually behaves a *lot* better when I rinse with diluted vinegar everyday. Although what I do is use the vinegar to rinse out any remnants of shampoo and re-acidify the hair and then use conditioner afterwards.But definately dilute it by *at least* half or it does get ouchy on the skin... and if you have any scalp irritations skip it entirely.-jennifer j
Elisabella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:04am
> I have heard of using white and apple cider vinegar.> The apple cider is best when diluted with warm water,> with the vinegar being about one quarter of the> solution. Vinegar is good for shine, but I have found> it to be much better for clarifying purposes.> Definitely don't use it on a daily basis. Have you> ever tried a mixture with lemon juice and warm water?> Personally, I think this works better. Moreover, there> are a few manufacturers which make herbal rinses and> you should have no problem with sensitivity. They are> extremely gentle. I am familiar with the one by Aubrey> Organics. And lest we not forget the good ole can of> beer for the ultimate in shine, especially if your> hair is blonde:)I was wondering on the can of beer for shine in blonde hair. How much do you use, how long does it stay on, and do you rinse with warm or cold water?> Bye for now,> Jade21> Hi Everyone
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:05am
Jade, how much lemon juice and water do you use for that mixture? Does it add shine? I am not old enough to buy beer. :(
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> I was wondering on the can of beer for shine in blonde> hair. How much do you use, how long does it stay on,> and do you rinse with warm or cold water?Hi, Elisabella!I love your name and have enjoyed your posts. Hope you are well.As for the beer, it all depends on personal preference. If your hair is quite long (mid-back and beyond), I would use an entire can (8-12oz). Leave the beer in your hair for 3-5minutes and rinse with tepid to cool water. I think if you try it a few times, you will see what works best for you.Bye for now,Jade21
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:07am
> Jade, how much lemon juice and water do you use for> that mixture? Does it add shine? I am not old enough> to buy beer. :(Hi, Serena!First, you could always ask someone who is old enough to purchase a can of beer for you and just indicate that it is for your hair:) I know my grandmother wasn't purchasing beer at the age of 9:)Lemon juice and water solution is half and half. Leave on for a very short period (2-3minutes) and rinse with cold water for maximum shine.Bye for now...Jade21
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic