Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEgg Shampoo - Dangerous Or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sandee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Egg Shampoo - Dangerous Or Not?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:29am
It used to be true that egg shampoos were considered great for the hair. They were made with raw eggs.There is so much press about the danger of bacteria and other nasties in eggs, I am concerned about whether it is a good idea to make raw egg shampoo. Has anyone heard anything about the danger of egg shampoos?
Serena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:29am
Years ago, a model with gorgeouse hair on the cover of Cosmopolitan recomended sleeping with a mixture of olive oil and raw eggs on your hair. I did this and it was really gross feeling and didn't yeild the great results I had hoped. However, I don't really see how bacteria would affect your hair. I guesse it could be a problem for you scalp or skin (though I doubt it), but you could keep your hair away from your skin by using a shower cap or the like. Does an egg shampoo involve mixing an egg with shampoo? One tip that I've heard is to not rinse the egg out with hot water because that can cook it. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try it.
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:29am
Yuck. I tried egg on my hair too. It was awful and smelled terrible for at least 24 hours. In my opinion anyway. I don't recommend this treatment. Agree with Serena, stay away from how water.> Years ago, a model with gorgeouse hair on the cover of> Cosmopolitan recomended sleeping with a mixture of> olive oil and raw eggs on your hair. I did this and it> was really gross feeling and didn't yeild the great> results I had hoped. However, I don't really see how> bacteria would affect your hair. I guesse it could be> a problem for you scalp or skin (though I doubt it),> but you could keep your hair away from your skin by> using a shower cap or the like. Does an egg shampoo> involve mixing an egg with shampoo? One tip that I've> heard is to not rinse the egg out with hot water> because that can cook it. Let us know how it goes if> you decide to try it.
Jamie :)
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:29am
Hi,I agree with Serena. You can do the egg shampoo if you make sure to keep it out of your mouth and away from your eyes. Of course wash your hands very carefully or mix the ingredients with plastic gloves and dispose.Actually I would probably bypass the eggs. I tried it years ago...and I agree...it was not great.I swear by Aveda's Beautifying Oil or just a good olive oil treatment.Yes, everyone is correct about not getting the egg treatment too warm. You could have fried eggs on your head. :-)Best wishes and let us know how it all turns out.Karen> Yuck. I tried egg on my hair too. It was awful and> smelled terrible for at least 24 hours. In my opinion> anyway. I don't recommend this treatment. Agree with> Serena, stay away from how water.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
jennifer j View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:30am
> It used to be true that egg shampoos were considered> great for the hair. They were made with raw eggs.> There is so much press about the danger of bacteria> and other nasties in eggs, I am concerned about> whether it is a good idea to make raw egg shampoo. Has> anyone heard anything about the danger of egg> shampoos?Well, I've tried it and was fairly happy with the results. I mixed raw egg 50-50 with a mild non-detergent shampoo and it came out lovely. Not as drying as a regular shampoo.As for the bacteria... unless you have open sores or scratches on your head it should be no problem. If the e.coli has no way to get into your bloodstream or digestive system it's not dangerous.-jennifer j
Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:30am
Queen Helene makes a Rum-Scented Shampoo that's 2% egg. Its very moisturizing, though the smell is a bit too strong for me. My fiancé uses it though, and says its so good he doesn't need to condition at all after using it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic