Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHair and swimming

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair and swimming
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:36am
I have short, but coloured hair and I swim twice a week (at least). As a rescue swimmer we don't wear bathcaps normally (security reason), so my hair gets in contact with chlorine water a lot.Could you provide me with some tips and tricks on how to keep my hair in a good condition - products, beauty secrets etc?It is fairly coarse (thick) and slightly dry naturally, I use a mild shampoo daily (no-name product) and a conditioner for coloured hair twice a week. I blowdry it daily and sometimes use gel or wax to style it for the day.Any hint appreciated!ThanXLeanan
There is not only black and white, there is also grey

Leanan
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:37am
Hi, L.I would suggest that you try Aubrey Organics Swimmers' Shampoo and Conditioning Products. They are extremely gentle and keep your hair in great condition against chlorine and salt. No weird colors from chlorine or salt again. Another shampoo which they make, called Island Naturals, is also good for protection against salt and chlorine. It is for thick, curly hair which tends to get dry. There is also a companion conditioner-a light one which zaps tangles. Both of the Island Naturals products smell of mango and coconut. Visit Aubrey Organics at www.aubrey-organics.com, call 1-800-AUBREY H for catalog and products, or find Aubrey at local health food store.Another suggestion is this. Once your hair is wet, rinse in water and apply a conditioner until another rescue swim. That is really helpful. Also, give your hair some some extra conditioning via hot oil treatment, etc. You might even try rinsing with some beer for shine and nutrients for your hair. Rinse your shampoo, then dump some beer on your hair, then if you like rinse with water to whatever degree again.Hope this helps..Jade21I have short, but coloured hair and I swim twice a> week (at least). As a rescue swimmer we don't wear> bathcaps normally (security reason), so my hair gets> in contact with chlorine water a lot.> Could you provide me with some tips and tricks on how> to keep my hair in a good condition - products, beauty> secrets etc?> It is fairly coarse (thick) and slightly dry> naturally, I use a mild shampoo daily (no-name> product) and a conditioner for coloured hair twice a> week. I blowdry it daily and sometimes use gel or wax> to style it for the day.> Any hint appreciated!> ThanX> Leanan
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:37am
Hi! You say you are a rescue swimmer. You must be a lifeguard. The best protection is a good swim cap but that is not possible in your situation. I would recommend that if possible first wet your hair in the shower to seal it from chlorine before you go on duty and comb in a bit of conditioner.Any will do as most will rinse out when you go in. After if possible rinse in un-clorinated water when you get a break and comb in a bit more conditioner. If you are out in the sun wear a hat and cover up as much as possible. The Phyto brand of protectant sprays are excellent but expensive especially if you are in and out a lot.A good product for you may be the Ultra -Swim brand conditioners and shampoo. They have been developed for pool chlorine hair care and are not too terribly costly for everyday use.Lifeguarding is a tough call for hair care..Your first duty of course is protecting the other swimmers, then try to care for your hair the best as you can do! You have probably done as much as you can in having a short style.If you are swimming for training on breaks get a good swim cap that keeps out as much water as possible, and use a conditioner combed in before you put on the cap.This will minimize the damage at least.Check swim cap on the search bar on hairboutique for the past six months as we have had a few messages on this and you will find more information if interested..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic