Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThick hair short?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thick hair short?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
Will thick coarse hair do good short?i am definatly wanting a cut like natalie imbruglia's or maybe like this girl's i saw at the mall.. either way it's above the chin.. but right kinda at the ears..does this cut require a particular hair type? or face shape?please respond with ANY opinions or thoughts you may have..i desperatly need some advice before i bring a bad style for my hair to my stylist..please help me!!I'll love you forever if you do.
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
> Well, I have very thick very coarse hair and have had it all lengths.I found when it was short I hated it every day and it looked much like a haystack most of the time. It never ended up like the photos I took in, however much I paid for the haircut.When it was shoulder length with a great haircut it looked absolutely great. When it was half way down my back it looked great most of the time and needed VERY LITTLE WORK!So, in my opinion, thick coarse hair works best when it is long.
carmen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
I'd take a picture in to the stylist and see what he/she thinks. (Make sure you ask for a consultation when you book the appointment. If your salon doesn't do consultations then find somewhere else, it's not worth being stuck with a bad cut.) It's hard to say without seeing your hair, but I'm guessing it won't turn out like Natalie I. -- her hair seems straight and wispy, and thick or coarse hair just isn't that well-behaved. How does your hair do with humidity? If your hair tends to frizz or go berzerk when it's rainy out (mine does), I'd stay away from any very short styles. I had a short layered cut once and my hair would stick almost straight out when it was humid outside... it was not good! (grin)I think you said somewhere else that you weren't happy with your last cut. Here's a tip that may help -- when you call a salon to book an appointment, ask if they have a stylist who has thick, coarse hair herself (or himself, I'm not trying to be sexist here). I've had much better luck getting cuts from stylists who have my type of hair... sometimes stylists with fine, straight hair have trouble "second-guessing" what your hair will do later, you know?
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:58am
A friend of mine is African-American, and she has thick, relaxed hair with an ear-length cut that is bevelled at the ends. I personally think she looks very sophisticated and chic with that 'do. She seems to enjoy it too, but she has a tough time keeping it tame in the humidity. Agreeing with Carmen, if your hair responds to the humidity like most hair does, you could end up with a poofy mess. I would definitely stay away from a blunt cut, that usually looks "wrong" with thick hair
Katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 4:59am
okay well thankyou guys for your advice..i think i have medium hair texture...it's not really thick but it's.. ya know not thin..i don't know if this would make a difference..well i guess i'll just talk to my stylist..thankyou sooo much for your time and opinions!!love katie
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:04am
> Hi Katie,I have short, thick, coarse hair as well. I don't know if you're interested, but check out my article on the Bed Head hairdo--definitely the best 'do I've had in years.Short hair styles work well for us, however, (and I'm sure you're already aware of this) our type of hair doesn't move, swing, or anything. It stays PUT, like a helmet. So if you're thinking of short and swingy, it won't be. But you will be amazed at how well the new gels (TIGI's molding gel is great)work to build in height.Look at some of the styles in the Hair Gallery. There are some great ideas in there.Good luck, and let me know how you do.Best,Jane
jill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:05am
> I have thick, coarse and wavy hair...have always worn it long (about 6 inches below shoulders) and all one length. My stylist (who always gives me a consultation before even the simplest of haircuts) has been encouraging me to get it cut in short layers as I have been complaining how boring it is. I finally took her advice this week and got it cut very short. It's awesome...and so much easier to take care of and style. She took some of the thickness out also and it lays so nice. Her advice to me was that women with thick hair are always great candidates for short hair...and she was certainly right in my case. I would definetly ask for a consultation before a haircut that will be a change happens.Good Luck!
Katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:24am
thankyou for the advice it was really greati got it cut and i also love it!!!!you said just what i wanted to hear!!!haha!
Katie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:24am
what great advice thankyou!!i got it cut and like it .. and your right it doesn't move much hahabut hey it's easy to handle..but i do want it to be smoother..it turns out since my hair is wavy i got it cut short in the nape of my neck and now i don't have that problem...THankyou sooooooooo much again for everyone's help i love this website!!
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:25am
> I have short, thick, coarse hair as well. I don't know> if you're interested, but check out my article on the> Bed Head hairdo--definitely the best 'do I've had in> years.> Short hair styles work well for us, however, (and I'm> sure you're already aware of this) our type of hair> doesn't move, swing, or anything. It stays PUT, like a> helmet. So if you're thinking of short and swingy, it> won't be. But you will be amazed at how well the new> gels (TIGI's molding gel is great)work to build in> height.> Look at some of the styles in the Hair Gallery. There> are some great ideas in there.> Good luck, and let me know how you do.> Best,> Jane
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic