Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked~Gracefully Growing Out Grey~

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ~Gracefully Growing Out Grey~
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:31am
Gee, so glad I found this bb. Anybody have any advice for a 40ish female on growing out her greying hair gracefully. My hair is so unattractive right now. I have those dark roots & brassy colored hair. My original color is medium/dark brown. So tired of dying it! Thanks.
Mrs S M Lympany
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:31am
> My advice is never grow out grey gracefully. I would go to a hair color expert and get your hair looking beautiful again!
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:31am
> Gee, so glad I found this bb. Anybody have any advice> for a 40ish female on growing out her greying hair> gracefully. My hair is so unattractive right now. I> have those dark roots & brassy colored hair. My> original color is medium/dark brown. So tired of dying> it! Thanks.You could go to a colorist who could "reverse highlight" your hair, which is to say, add dark streaks to match your original color as it grows out. As one who has grown out haircolor many times, it is easier to live with if your hair is short for the time being.Also, a temporary color may make it easier while you are waiting. There's nothing wrong with grey hair, and if you like it, go for it!
Cher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:33am
I did this and survived!! I am 40.. I grew my grey out. It's a hassle for awhile but it's not so bad once it grows to your shoulders.You didn't mention how long your hair is. I recently cut my below bra strap length hair to top of shoulder length. This got rid of all old coloring and now my silver is all even. I only have gray in the front and sides so growing mine out wasn't a total nightmare. If I had salt/pepper all over I would probably use a temporary color and keep trimming very regularly to rid myself of old dyed hair. I plan to keep my hair this length and not color.. and use products that enhance my silver and soften it.. good luck!Gee, so glad I found this bb. Anybody have any advice> for a 40ish female on growing out her greying hair> gracefully. My hair is so unattractive right now. I> have those dark roots & brassy colored hair. My> original color is medium/dark brown. So tired of dying> it! Thanks.
Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:34am
Thanks Cher for your understanding. I am 42 & have 3 children, one is 2 yrs old & I just dont have as much time to dedicate to my hair. I have to say I have been getting pressure from my 12 yr NOT to grow it out grey. Pressure from my mom, she says I look better with dark hair. No pressure from my husband except he will say "Why do you want to look old?". And then there's all the people who stare at my hair when speaking to me instead of looking at my face.Did you have similar problems when you grew yours out? By the way, my hair is about 1 to 2 inches below my ears. It's straight & I wear bangs. Yesterday I broke down & bought the clairol temporary color which lasts 6 to 12 washings. I think I'll go this route for a while.
Mrs S M Lympany
Marie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:34am
Thanks Suzanne, I went ahead & bought the temporary hair color, hopefully this will solve my dilema.
Mrs S M Lympany
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:36am
Sorry it took me awhile to respond.. it's boating season and seems I have little time for the pc these days. I also have 3 kids but mine are almost grown.. None of my family pressures me.. I have the freedom to be me with my hairstyle. If I were to do something drastic then maybe a judgment would be given but I have pretty much kept the same hairstyle with letting it grow long then cutting it back.. as for the gray.. it was a hassle to grow out but I lived with it and am glad I suffered through the awkward stage to get it the way it is now. I didn't mean to use coloring that stuck when I did it originally. I used Clariols Natural Instincts and it adhered. I was pretty upset that it didn't wash out... as I only colored it for fun. My hair care routine takes in the fact of special care for my silver hairs.. as they require extra conditioning to soften. I presently use Aubrey products which does a great job of making the silvers behave. My husband doesn't mind my silver hairs.. so I am blessed withthat.. he has silver too and we tease each other about who has more. We have been together for 22 years so it's alot of years to see change!To sum it up.. I don't mind my silver at all now that I cut my hair to my shoulders.. that's the only thing that bothered me was it was too long for alot of gray.. and also we boat ALOT and I wash my hair often. No time for coloring for me. take care.. Cher~Thanks Cher for your understanding. I am 42 & have> 3 children, one is 2 yrs old & I just dont have as> much time to dedicate to my hair. I have to say I have> been getting pressure from my 12 yr NOT to grow it out> grey. Pressure from my mom, she says I look better> with dark hair. No pressure from my husband except he> will say "Why do you want to look old?". And> then there's all the people who stare at my hair when> speaking to me instead of looking at my face.> Did you have similar problems when you grew yours out?> By the way, my hair is about 1 to 2 inches below my> ears. It's straight & I wear bangs. Yesterday I> broke down & bought the clairol temporary color> which lasts 6 to 12 washings. I think I'll go this> route for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic