Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStrip Color or Re-Dye?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alicia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strip Color or Re-Dye?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
I have been coloring my hair for 8 years and would like to go natural for awhile. What are the pros and cons of stripping the color out versus coloring it to match my roots? If I choose to strip it, should I get it done professionally or is it easy and safe to do myself? I'm trying to grow my hair out and gain condition so I would like to do whichever one is my best for my hair. I like the idea of stripping it back to natural rather adding yet another dye-job that may not match perfectly or might fade but I don't know if that's bad for hair. Thank you for any opinions you can toss my way!
Tammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:44am
> If you decide to strip it back to your own color I would go to a salon. You do not want to get the wrong color and have to do it again. Or, instead of stripping it or re-dyeing it, you might want to just keep putting a semi-permanent color, like Shades, on it until your natural color grows in completely. This would help in terms of camoflaging your old color while the new grows in underneath. You would probably have to get Shades applied in a salon every 4-6 weeks. This would also be much better for your hair. Good luck!
helen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:46am
Similar question here. Also of concern to me is that my natural shade is *much* lighter than it is colored. What's my best bet?
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:47am
I don't know if I am giving the best answer, but I just spent the last year or so getting my natural color back and this is what I did.I have naturally light/medium brown hair. I had my hair dyed a very dark burgundy brown. It looked cool, but I wanted to go back to my natural color with some dark blonde highlights. Basically, I let some of my hairclor grow out and then went to a salon and they decided against stripping my hair, as it was below my shoulders, thick and wavy. I have a LOT of hair, and it wouldn't have worked too well unless I wanted it cut. So they basically weaved a few different colors into my hair, giving me a light golden brown look.That still wasn't exactly what I wanted, so eventually I had them weave in more medium brown, and then put some dark blonde highlights in. I still had very dark ends, so those were cut, but the ends were still much redder than the rest of my hair. Unless I wanted to go above chin length, I had to keep some of the red ends so I suffered for a while. Finally, the last time I had it cut the red ends are gone. I had been dying my hair dark for so long that the ends wre so saturated with color. It was pretty impossible to lift thwe color there.If you have less hair than I do ( and I think most people in the world do..I have WAY too much hair) , I think stripping your hair would work fine. It will definitely damage your hair, and you should get a haircut when you have it done to get rid of the fired ends, but the stripping and re-coloring would probably work if you have a normal amount of hair :)> Similar question here. Also of concern to me is that> my natural shade is *much* lighter than it is colored.> What's my best bet?
melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:51am
About 3 weeks ago I bleached my hair then dyed it blue with Special Effects. Now I have to wash it out to get as close to the bleached color as possible because I must dye my hair blonde for a play. I also have to get it to grow as long as possible in the next 7 weeks, so cutting it or damaging to too bad is out of the question.
silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:53am
Hi thereIs Special Effects a semi perm. color? If so, then a good clarifying shampoo, like Aveda's, should help to get the color out faster. Shampoo with it frequently--as much as twice a day. Since your hair has also been bleached, be sure to also do regular deep conditioning treatments, to keep it in good condition.If the Special Effects is a permanent color, then you'd have to get that lifted out of your hair. This would be fairly damaging and you shouldn't attempt to do it at home.Try the clarifying shampoo a few times. If you dont have any success, please go see a stylist. He or she should be able to advise you on the best way to get the blue color out with minimal damage to your hair, and least cutting.good luck. let me know what happens :) silvie
Alicia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alicia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 5:54am
Well, after talking to a couple stylists and reading comments here, I have decided against stripping. I am either going to do nothing and live with roots for a few months (and get my hair cut short) or I'm going to use a semipermanent color.Thanks for the help.Alicia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic