Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp...too dark Natural Instinct Result

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help...too dark Natural Instinct Result
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:03am
Okay, it has happened to me. I talked nicely about Natural Instincts in a lower post. I was being "good," and I had not colored my hair in 2-1/2 months. But, I was tired of my blonde ends and dark(er) roots. So, I bought a bottle of 9N (a new "neutral" dark blonde) Natural Instincts, and did it with a strand test...it was fine. So, I colored...and now I am dark all over. Okay, it's not a disaster...the ends and roots are the same, and the color is okay. It's just too dark. Is there any non-chemical way to wash it out more quickly? I washed twice immediately after the first drying with Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo, but none of the color came out. What can I do? I have Wella Kolestral on it now...not because the condition is bad, just because I want to.My hair is naturally a dark golden blonde.I have warm skin tones.
Silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:03am
HiPlease try using a clarifying shampoo--Aveda makes a great one. Also, some people have posted the virtues of using dish washing liquid, but I've never tried that. I think it strips the hair of the excess color, but also of natural oils. If you're desperate, give it a shot and just use an intensive conditioner/moisterizer afterwards.Also, avoid any heat styling, as that will further "set" the color. Since Natural Instincts does wash out--keep shampooing, whatever you do, and it will eventually fade. Hopefully sooner than later. As far as your darker ends go--is this something that could be improved with a trim?good luck :) silvie
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:03am
I have some Suave clarifier...if I use that or dishwashing liquid, is it possible that my more-porous ends will keep the color and it would wash out on the roots only? I don't want that!> Hi> Please try using a clarifying shampoo--Aveda makes a> great one. Also, some people have posted the virtues> of using dish washing liquid, but I've never tried> that. I think it strips the hair of the excess color,> but also of natural oils. If you're desperate, give it> a shot and just use an intensive> conditioner/moisterizer afterwards.> Also, avoid any heat styling, as that will further> "set" the color. Since Natural Instincts> does wash out--keep shampooing, whatever you do, and> it will eventually fade. Hopefully sooner than later.> As far as your darker ends go--is this something that> could be improved with a trim?> good luck :) silvie
Silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:03am
Well, since you had more porous, darker ends to begin with, they will likely stay *somewhat darker* than the rest of your hair, as you remove the excess color. But the difference in color should not be any more dramatic than you had before. In fact, it shuld be less.dont worry too much about the previous blow drying, just avoid it until you get the color toned down to what's more desirable to you.i have never tried the suave clarifying shampoo, but I would give that a shot first. you may need to shampoo a few times. if you dont get results, then resort to the dishwashing liquid. either way, do a deep conditioning afterwards to restore some moisture to your hair. Once you reach the desired color, give your hair and scalp a break by not washing for a day or two, if at all possible.good luck :) silvie
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:04am
Than the rest of my hair. That's why I had been coloring.Thanks for the advice
Silvie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:04am
Excuse my misinterpretation there:) it's usually the ends that get darker.Ok, in this case, please use a heavy duty conditioner and apply that to the ends of your hair, where they were originally lighter. You can even use vaseline, if you dont have such a conditioner. Avoid shampooing the end section of the hair--avoid working the shampoo directly into it, but it's Ok to rinse your hair all the way through--including the ends (the conditioner will help to protect the color).The point here is that you want to protect the ends a bit, because it they were lighter before, they probably still will be a little lighter once you tone down the N.I. color you used. but not as much as before.feel free to email me, if i can clarify my remarks or help you further :) silvie
janine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:05am
I had the same problem once with a colour coming out too dark. I phoned Clairol and the consumer advisor told me to put a hot oil treatment on my hair and wrap my head in plastic and then put it under the hair dryer for about 10 minutes (this will open the hair shaft), then use an anti-dandruff shampoo and a lot of the colour should wash out, lightening the dark colour at least one shade. It worked for me, hope it does for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic