Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhelp! roots light roots, dark ends from color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help! roots light roots, dark ends from color
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:07am
Hello,I recently colored my hair with permanent color (Loreal Excellence in Medium Golden Brown). My natural color is a medium ash brown and I have been using semi-permanent (natural instincts)in various shades of medium browns for about 2 years. A little over 2 years ago I had alot of processing done to correct a bad color job, meaning color was lifted off and put back on - twice. Most of this has been cut off but there is still a little at the ends I think.Anyway, when I colored the other day, the roots (about 1-2 inches)ended up lighter and slightly redder, while the middle/ends of my hair are very dark brown. I don't want to darken the roots more because I'm afraid it will overlap and create a black stripe where the two colorings meet, which is what someone did to me before and why I had to have color stripped. My question now is A) is there anything I can do to lighten up the middle/ends and B)how do I avoid this next time I color. It is not THAT noticible but definitely there. Thanks!
lisa /minnesota View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa /minnesota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:08am
> corrective colorist in mnpls minnesota.. read your plea & had to respond u poor thing. this just happend to one of my clients too that she did a home color job & same thing happened. your "hot roots" were caused by alot of things#1. the peroxide/developer in home coloring kits cannot be determined to get the perfect amount of lift & deposit on the whole strand of hair from the new growth to the ends when the poosity is not the same .#2. when going lighter if even by 1/2 a shade u need to apply your color starting 1/2 inch from the scalp to mid shaft of hair or where the porosity changes. leave on for 15 min the apply to roots 10 min then pull through ends lst 5-10 min especially when ends are fried. the percentage of peroxide/developer needs to be altered to a lower volume .***** depending where u live & if u can get your hands on professional products i use ( color erase ) by matrix or u can try your beauty supply store for color erase and mix it up have a friend help you apply. mix it up for minimum to medium lift. apply only ******** only to dark spots. *** have your friend watch the color lift off the hair .gently rub the product in it should only take 10-15 min then when it looks like it lifted rinse shampoo ,buy a color shampoo or conditioner like (matrixs/logics earth ) or (aveda- clove ) or (tressa -brown ) then you will use this to balance out the uneven color if there is any it has no peroxide & will be easy for you to use. that way if you want to darken your roots to get rid of the "hot roots" all you need to do is apply it to roots and let it sit for 10 min. and repeat if want darker. try to get a color conditioner though rather than a shampoo .... good luck
emma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:08am
Yikes! Thank you so much for the response, although that sounds quite involved and I would be scared to make matters worse being the cosmetic cripple that I am proving to be! I'm thinking now I might just bite the bullet, wait a month or so for my hair to recover from the processing a bit and go to a professional and have it fixed once and for all. Then I can just maintain it with colored conditioners and occasionally deposit only color. But I appreciate your very detailed response!>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic