Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDandruff/dry scalp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laura View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dandruff/dry scalp
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:04am
Okay, this is a new problem. I have been recovering from surgery, which meant I had very limited mobility (and couldn't take my regular care with my hair). Now, I am experiencing patches of flakiness, redness, and even some scabbing. I need serious help! What should I do (short of seeing a dermatologist)? What sort of shampoo (best dandruff shampoo). I think my regular artec regimen may compound the problem with buildup. Help!
Gen View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
I really would see a dermatologist. They would best be able to examine your scalp and tell you what's really going on. Short of that, if it really is "dandruff" (seborrheic dermatitis), what really works for me is using Sulfur 8 Dandruff Control Medicine. Let me warn you, it smells HORRIBLE! You will NOT be going out on the town after you put this stuff in you head! But you only leave it on for a few minutes and then shampoo it out (PLEASE shampoo afterwards otherwise you will have NO friends!). I also find for me the over the counter Nizoral shampoo works. Keep in mind though I have seen a dermatologist and been diagnosed with having dandruff. I still think you should do that first.
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2000 at 1:58am
I don't know if this applies to you, but you may wish to consider it. I know someone who had surgery for removal of a brain tumor. As part of the treatment, she was given anti-cancer drugs. Because of an oversight she developed scurvy. The oversite was that the anti-cancer drug sucks up vitamin C like it's going out of style. When they prescribed the drug they should have also prescribed megadoses of vitamin C.

Perhaps you are taking some sort of drug as part of your surgery as well that is having a negative impact on your nutrition. If you are, it would be a good idea to contact your doctor to see if taking any supplements are called for.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic