Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLong hair and job interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair and job interview
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
Ok,here is the stupid thing I did. I went on a job interview after a company reviewed my resume, but wore my hair down. My hair is below waist length and pretty straight and fine. I brushed my hair really well before the interview and wore a blouse and knee length skirt with pumps and nylons. I know wearing my hair down may not have been the reason why i wasn't picked, but was wondering what some of your opinions may be. Also, I had interviewed with this same woman a year ago and had worn my hair the same way and obviously not selected then either. She did not appear to recognize me the second time. The strange thing is she liked my resume enough to pick me for an interview two times even though she didnt realize I was the same person. Any thoughts on the subject?
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:05am
Leslie,You may never know if your hair was the reason, but since you should look as polished a possible at an interview, wearing your hair down was probably not a good idea.I know the Victoria's Secret girls model business suits with loose, flowing tresses, but in real life the two looks go together like mushrooms and ice cream.Do yourself a favor next time and pin your long hair up.Ally
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> You may never know if your hair was the reason, but> since you should look as polished a possible at an> interview, wearing your hair down was probably not a> good idea.> Do yourself a favor next time and pin your long hair up.Agreed.> I know the Victoria's Secret girls model business> suits with loose, flowing tresses, but in real life> the two looks go together like mushrooms and ice> cream.... when trying to make a favorable impression in an interview. Once you're in your job (for at least long enough to have favorably impressed your peers and supervisors with your work-related abilities), wearing your hair loosely IS acceptable (and does go together with business suits -- an awesome look IMO).Dave
David M Squires
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
Well, I think in general you can relax your personal dress code once you've proven yourself.But as far as aesthetics, I still think long, flowing hair looks all wrong with a suit. It's like wearing a Victorian updo with a cheerleader's uniform. Or banana curls with leather pants and motorcycle jacket.It's not just a long-hair thing. I dislike any flowy, frilly, or overly dramatic hairstyle with a business suit.Ally
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
>FROM MarkI would like to suggest that you fold and wrap your longbelow the waist long hair. I wold suggest that youfold and wrap your hair above your head,and use a thick hairstick to keep hair secure,for every job interview.I do not know if your decision to wear your long hair downwas a factor.Many employers in my area,are requiring ladies to fold andwrap their long hair above their head,and use hair sticksto keep a ladies long hair secure.Many ladies with beautiful waist length long hair,arebeing required by many employers to fold and wrap theirlong hair up,and to secure it.I would suggest that you save and preserve your long hair,as it appears to be a pretty treasure for you.
Amy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 7:06am
> Well, I think in general you can relax your personal> dress code once you've proven yourself.> But as far as aesthetics, I still think long, flowing> hair looks all wrong with a suit. It's like wearing a> Victorian updo with a cheerleader's uniform. Or banana> curls with leather pants and motorcycle jacket.> It's not just a long-hair thing. I dislike any flowy,> frilly, or overly dramatic hairstyle with a business> suit.> Ally
Stylist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2000 at 11:11pm
I am a manager and I can assure you many mamagers judge employee prospect by their appearance. I must admit I prefer ladies who dress business appropriate. I absolutely love long hair on ladies but I reserve my interest to non office, social functions. I suggest you wear your hair in an updo, bun, french twist, etc. but do not leave it down. I hate to say this but if I were interviewing you with your hair down, it would be a distraction. It is sad men and women managers judge potential employees this way but it is a fact and must not be ignored. Besides, a lady who is smartly dressed and wears her hair in an updo is very sexy and should feel very confident. Good luck in your future interviews.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2000 at 2:11am
Hi,

Sorry about the job interview. Tough deal. Have you thought about calling the woman and asking her why you did not get the job? Believe it or not, I have had job applicants call me and ask me and I am always impressed at their initiative. Especially if they are very polite. Of course the person may still not tell you anything for fear of a legal action, but you never know, they might.

I agree with Ally about the long hair and suit. I think that first impressions count and you never know how a person will react to something out of the ordinary...like very long hair or an earring on a guy.

I think it helps to stack the deck in your favor and if it means wearing your hair up for an interview, then that is what it may mean.

I have very long hair and I am President of a very high tech software company with 15 employees. I will wear my hair down after I have gotten to know a client and feel that they are comfortable with me...but during any initial sales calls or meetings, I always either wear my hair pulled back neatly or I pin it up. It just looks better with a full business suit. Trust me...I hate pinning my hair up. It is a pain. But when it comes to business...it is a small price to pay.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic