Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPregnancy and hair dye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phuxtable View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phuxtable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pregnancy and hair dye
    Posted: January 23 2000 at 3:06pm
I color my hair, and I'm pregnant. My doctor has advised me not to recolor until I'm past 12 weeks, and to use a low-fume dye. Can anyone recommend some brand names of low-fume dyes? I would also like to know what makes a dye low-fume - what should I look for on the label? Thanks!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2000 at 5:32pm
Hi,

If your doctor says not to color, he must have a good reason.

You do have a couple of options. You can use a color shampoo like the Aveda or ARTec color shampoos that help hide growth lines. These do not historically has the same chemicals as full blown dyes. You may want to ask your doctor about whatever you decide to try, but historically these just give a slight tint and wash out after each shampoo.

You can also use a non dye alternative. The Whole Foods where I shop in Dallas has several different "non chemical" dyes that you can use. I would recommend going to a local health food store and asking one of the buyers for a same color that does not contain normal dye chemicals.

Another thing you can do is avoid parting your hair. When my roots are growing out (I highlight my hair and although I don't have dark roots, I do have a faint growth line) I wear my hair without a part and the growth is less obvious.

My suggestion would be to go to the largest health food store in the area and ask them for suggestions.

Also there are natural colors you can use like chamomile tea for blondes and red clover for redheads. Unfortunately these will only add a tint and not a full blown color.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic