Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSomeone please help me!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Superstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Someone please help me!!!!!
    Posted: February 01 2000 at 12:10am
Hi,I need help.....
I have alot of questions,so any given help would be extremly appreciated.Around July last year I used a heat activated hair straightner on my hair.I had straight hair before I used it but I have a natural wave to my hair,and I'm trying to grow it long like to my shoulders and the style I have is a part in the middle and it and the length comes to about the top of my ears,I've had this style for about 4 yrs. now and everytime it gets to this length the wave kicks in and my hair kinda curls upwards so I get mad and cut it..well I got the stupid idea to use the straightner to eliminate this problem and the first time I used it,it got my hair so perfectly straight I got addicted to it and I proceeded to use it everyday for about a month sometimes 2 times a day.Well ever since then my hair has seemed to thin alot and I notice I lose pieces of hair a day and it don't seem to be coming back my hair has got alot thinner then it was a year ago at this time and to say that I'm worried about this is a gross understatement.I've become obsessed with this everytime i brush my hair I lose single strands of hair like maybe 4 or 5 at a time,and when i run my hands through my hair a piece or 2 comes out and it worries me sick..I'm a 19 yr. old male who is obsessed with his hair and I can't help it,it's driven me literally to a state of depression.I don't have any baldness in my family that I know of,I don't wear hats I'll admit I eat horribly I've been told that could have alot to do with it.Before I used the straightner I ahd pretty thick hair and now it's like impossible to style, at the ends of my hair it like seperates and I can see my scalp now and if I slick it back with water I can see my scalp never could before,like I said it seemed like it's got alot thinner and Im worried sick that I'm slowly losing my hair.
I wash my hair everyday and anotehr problem I have is Im not sure of the bst way to style it after I wash it.What I do is slick it back for bout 30 min. I dont dry it at all I let it ary dry for bout 30 min then I brush it out,part it and use a little gel on the front then kidna gel back the front of my ahir so its all connected its hard to explain but that's the only way I can keep it straight in the morning when I wake up.I cant towel dry or blow dry it cause it brings out the wave that I have trouble with,so that's anotehr thing I need help with.
When I don't wash my ahir I notice more of it falls out that why I wash it everyday..am I doing more harm then good?
It also feels really limp and looks not only thin but like jsut lifeless too before it was full and looked u know nice not anymore..
I ordered those formula 37 vitmains and took 2 bottles of both step 1 and 2 and it didnt seem to help so i quit using them..is thre any other vitamins Ii should take? I use Suave frequent use shampoo and sometimes condiotner not often though,is there any kidna shampoo I should use?I've been thinkin of using a deep condtioning treatment would that be a good idea? If so what kind should I use?I know all this stress Ive put myself through isnt helping any,but I cant help it..and my doc ordered tests on my thyroid and stuff and nothing's wrong tehre so thats not teh cause Im jsut driving myself nuts,he even put me on Paxil,a anti-depressant cuz Ive got so upset bout this.
When ppl look at my hair they dont think Im losing it but I see a differnce does it sound like Im losing my hair?
Someone please help me :(
Shannon
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2000 at 2:32pm
Well, first off, I'd recommend that if you haven't stopped using the chemical straighter you suspect of causing the problem, do so. Having hair with an annoying wave sounds better to me than having no hair at all.

Second, calm down. One the primary reasons for hair loss in most people is stress (caffeine....which causes dehydration...can be a culprit, too).

Vitamin deficiency is probably second on the list (you didn't say if your doctor did tests for this, if not it might be something to look into). You said that your diet leaves something to be desired. If you're not currently taking a good multi-vitamin, it might be a good idea.

You mentioned that you used the HF37, but saw little result. In my own experience...I take a multi-vitamin plus a complete amino acid supplement...it took several weeks before I noticed any results. I'm no expert on nutrition, but it seems to me that in my particular case I needed to get my body back to normal before I saw any results in my hair (I personally don't eat meat, so I suspect that I may have been protein deficient at the on-set). It now grows about an inch a month (my fingernails also grow really fast now, too).

If I am remembering my psycho-pharmacology correctly....one of the side-effects of paxil is a loss of appetite. If you're experiencing this, it's even more important to make sure you're getting the nutrients you need to stay healthy.

It sounds to me like you're pretty rough with your hair (ie. you fuss with it a lot). With shorter hair (mine's waist length) you need to wash it more often, but it's hard on it to wash it everyday. I don't think it would hurt to skip a day every now and again. It may be that the reason you see more of it shedding when you skip a day is simply that when you shower the loose hairs are going down the drain.

Check out the ingredients in your shampoo. The diffence between sodium lauryl sulfate (harsh) and sodium laureth sulfate (milder) doesn't look like much in print, but the diffence it makes to your hair is substantial.

I've never used it personally, but I understand Shen min is supposed to help improve the thickness of hair growth.

This is a bit longer than I'd started out to write, but I hope you find it helpful.

brenda
Bunny7744 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunny7744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2000 at 12:10pm
When I was in college, every time finals came along my hair started falling out. Started a new job - hair fell out. Fighting with loved ones - you guessed it. Whenever I was stressed out I would lose hair.

Judging by your article I would say you are seriously stressing. Overwashing (I wash mine 3 times a week) , overstying, poor diet all will contribute as well. I am not a professional by no means, but talking from experience.

I would stop using the straigtener, start eating better - if not take a multi-vitamin (I take Melaluca's Mela-vita and really like it - anything I buy over the counter makes me have headaches or nauseated.) and take Hair Formula 37.

Tanya
annita View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2000 at 1:19am
I read the other responses to your mail and I think that you should try to wash your hair at least once per week. When you wash you hair you take out all of the vitaims and minerals that it consumed. Washing too often makes your scalp lack these vitamins and minerals. I know this from exprience. My scalp was tender and very sore. Since doing this my scalp is a whole lot better.

take care
annita
Superstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2000 at 1:04pm
Ok,I want to thank everyone for replying to my post,I read all the replies a few times and basically most of the advice everyone gave me was not to wash my hair as much,and I'm going to follow that advice as a matter of fact today is the 2nd day in a row that I haven't washed my hair. One of my big concerns if you read my post is that I'm worryied about the strands of hair that I lose each day,everyone tells me that it's natural to lose 100-200 pieces of hair each day,so I'm not worried as much about that problem but when I don't wash my hair for a day or so I ntoice that I lose alot more strands of hair then when I do wash it. For example I was laying down last night and rubbed my hands through my hair and about 8 or 9 pieces was on my pillow..I did it again and there was about 5 more pieces,is this a problem that I should worry about? My question is why do I lose more hair when I don't wash my hair then when I do? How come everyone says it's better for my hair if I don't wash it everyday but when I don't it seems to be in worse condition then when I do?
Shannon
brenda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2000 at 6:22pm
I think I had stated in my post (granted, it was quite lengthy and you might have missed it) that I would suspect you are losing the same amount of hair whether you are washing, as when you're not.

When you wash it everyday, any loose hairs come out in the shower and go down the drain. When you don't shower they're coming out slowly over the course of the day...atleast that's the way it works with my hair.

Because your hair is rather short you might not notice the hair being carried away by the water (I tend to notice the hairs because mine are all about 30 inches long).
One way you could test this theory is to put a piece of fine screen over the shower drain to trap any hairs that may shed. Save these and compare the amount with the amount your finding on pillows, your comb, etc. on days when you don't wash it.
brenda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic