Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWHY DO WE LOSE STRANDS OF HAIR EACH DAY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Superstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHY DO WE LOSE STRANDS OF HAIR EACH DAY?
    Posted: February 24 2000 at 2:59am
Hi i have a few questions about why we lsoe hair each day.I'm 19,and im tryin to grow my hair long,i ahve a part in the middle and the lentgh comes to bout my eyes,today when i woke up i ran a comb throguh my hair and like 20 strands of hair fell in the sink,did it not to long ago bout the same amount fell again,and i notice i lost a good bit of strands today before that.Why do I lose so many strands? Should I be worried bnout this? Im worried bout losing my hair anyway..when u lsoe stabrds does it mean your hair is growing? What exactly does it mean when you lose strands of hair?
Shannon
wheeezer26 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeezer26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2000 at 3:54pm
Hi Superstar, I,m not sure why we lose hair everyday but I do know that it is normal.I myself go through phases of losing alot on a daily basis, then it slows down.I am more concerned about what seems to be an obsession with losing your hair. I understand because I was very obsessed with my hair for a long time. I was convinced that it was horribly damaged and literally spent hours a day messing with it and thinking about it.I went into therapy and discovered that my problems were much deeper and indirectly related to my hair(a long sad story), but the end result is that I am working on my problems and the hair obsession is going away.Now that I don't mees with it and have stopped stressing so much about it, it is actually much healthier.I am convinced that extreme stress is about the worst thing for your hair and your physical well-being as well.Maybe therapy could help you understand why you are so stressed about your hair and how you can stop worring so much about it.I'm sorry this is so long, but I hope it helps. Lisa
DevJam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2000 at 3:18pm
Just like we have growing periods, we have shedding periods. When a strand of hair sheds, that means it has "lived its life". It is called a growth period. It grows, rests, then sheds in a set period of time. We can't change the growth period but if you eat certain foods or take cettain supplements, it can shorten the shedding period and extend the growing period meaning less hair will come out.
-DJ
DJ
Mossflower View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mossflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2000 at 11:57pm
There's a chinese supplement in health food stores called Shen Min that is supposed to help make the growing fase longer, and them you'd probably shed less. If you go to www.longhairlovers.com and go to hair growth news it will tell you more about it. The main ingrdient in Shen Min is Ho Shou Wu . It also goes under the name Fo-Ti, which is alot cheaper to buy then Shen min.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic