Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Highwayman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Highwayman
    Posted: February 08 2002 at 12:05pm
The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes is a tragic, striking poem. Part goes like -

Over the cobbles he clattered and clashed in the dark inn-yard.
He tapped with his whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred.
He whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there, but Bess, the landlord`s daughter,
The landlord`s black-eyed daughter, plaiting a dark-red love-knot into her long black hair.

Then,

She loosened her hair in the casement, his face burned like a brand, (and I think then "and he kissed
her hair in the moonlight...and galloped away to the west" - I`m quoting this more or less accurately from
memory).

In about the early 1980s, British author/illustrator Charles Keeping made a picturebook of this in black and
white. The pictures strikingly compliment the words. Bess is shown innocently braiding a long strip of
something within her hair, and after it flows down to the "gallant" highwayman in an elegant cascade as he
kisses it.

But what precisely is a love knot?
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 12:38pm
I think a love-knot is a flower''s name....
I love that poem, do you know Loreena McKennitt put the words to music, very beautiful.:)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 1:27pm
Very nice guy's.

I love Loreena McKinnett....we play her at the Salon all of the time....I'm going to pay closer attention to the word's from now on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic