Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ISO a leave-in with an SPF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISO a leave-in with an SPF
    Posted: May 23 2003 at 9:36am
Now that the summer is approaching, I've been searching for a leave-in product (either a conditioner or a gel) with a sun protection factor. There seem to be lots of shampoos and rinse-away conditioners that claim to have UV filters, but what good are those if they are rinsed out? I am looking for a leave-in product to wear to the park, pool and beach. I have a couple of hats but those aren't good for those times when I want the hair-down sexy look.

As someone recently pointed out in another thread, even the Redken Sun Care line is not true SPF.

Does anyone know of a leave-in product with true sun protection? I have thick, wavy hair that tends to become dry easily, so I really need sun protection. Thanks!

Elissa
[/url]

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 11:35am
I'm curious about the same thing!

I was looking through the website and found this:
Mine Mango Colada Mousse It doesn't have an actual SPF, but the ingredients include UVA and UVB filters. I haven't tried it yet....
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 11:07pm
ok.. I've found something that actually has SPF in it. Take a look at Banana Boat Hair and Scalp Spray. I haven't tried it myself, but it has an SPF!
sunscreens View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunscreens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2003 at 6:10am
Infusium23 also makes a leave in product with sunscreen
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2003 at 7:11pm
I'm going to look into the banana boat. Rxpalace.com has it for a reasonable price4 + reasonable shipping.
[/url]

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 7:49am
Have you read any research that any kind of sunblocks work on hair? I haven't, but I'd certainly love to read some, so if anyone knows of any research, please let me know!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 8:14am
From what I understand sunscreen in haircare products is still largely an unknown. Jennifer, as you know from reading Paula's work the FDA doesn't regulate the wording manufacturers use on hair products with sunscreen. Skin products use the SPF rating but there is no such system for hair, mostly because sunscreen's effects and resiliency on hair are not determined. (The Banana Boat product uses an SPF number because it's also designated for the scalp.)

Apparently some studies show that sunscreen does in fact have a protective effect on hair, but these are lab tests in which single strands are entirely coated with a particular chemical. Unfortunately that does not necessarily translate into real life all that well--we can't soak our hair in product or sit still the whole day without losing some of this protective layer. Yes, you can look for products containing sunscreens (most compounds with the prefix "octyl," cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride and benzophenone are the most common.)

However, as it stands today you have no way of knowing whether these additives are actually protecting your hair or are present in large enough quantities to impact your hair, since it is still unregulated. A manufacturer can legally print "Contains Sunscreen!" on the bottle but there may only be a minute amount of benzophenone-3 in it, making the product virtually useless against the sun. What manufacturers CAN'T do is use an SPF number since the FDA has yet to set those standards for haircare.

Until science devises an SPF-system for such products and holds all manufacturers to the same standards, your best protection from the sun is a cute hat. :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
kenney001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenney001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 9:31pm
Qingdao maternal and child care market key words: confinement in childbirth care confinement centerConfinement center in any case not willing.Then, confinement center consumes what? Why market? With wonder and curiosity, the reporter visited Qingdao, Xiguang close confinement center.Live like a very warm,Replica Tudor Watches.China Xiguang close confinement center seven "key words: confinement in childbirth care confinement centerWith the change of times, the confinement means has changed a lot, the confinement to the confinement center has also become a new trend, ask the woman's own food please, confinement meal times are slowly being eliminated,Movado Watches.In confinement center.Qingdao is now the price of confinement center star treatment. Key words: confinement confinement center goldTake a month, spending 56600 yuan! This is the city a confinement center reported that the price, the price may make some new mothers feel breathless, spend so much money on what can be what kind of service,Replica Franck Muller Watches? Recently.The United States Amy confinement center

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic