Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

curling asian hair with a curling iron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
esther View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curling asian hair with a curling iron
    Posted: November 14 2003 at 4:02pm
Hey there,

I have long, thick black hair. I'd really like to be able to put it up in curls using a curling iron, and my hair stylist was able to do so for my prom with relative ease, but whenever I try to replicate it myself I just can't seem to do it.

She alternated between a 1 inch barrel and a 1 1/2 inch barrel using a conair steam iron. I've got a 1 inch barrel at home and it works fine on the ends but when I try to curl the whole length of hair, it just absolutely refuses to set. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thank you so much.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2003 at 12:08am
I'm not sure what your stylist did but did she put in any setting lotion, spray gel or of that sort into your hair in prior to curling? I've found that using mousse or spray gel helps set curls on full length of hair. You could experiment by adding styling aid product in your hair before you curl it. Hot rollers work wonder esp. on thick, asian hair but not without some Thermasilk first.
sammii View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2004 at 8:44pm
Do you want large curls or tighter curls? If you would like tighter spiral curls, try using a 3/4" barrel and take out about 1/2"-1" strand of hair, and wrap it around the rod from top to bottom. Hold it there about 1015 seconds, then take it out.
Mei Wong View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mei Wong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 2:15pm
Try taking a small section of your hair, and using the clamp of the curling iron, clamp the ends of your hair towards the base of the rod. Hold your curling iron straight up, so the iron is the length of your head. Wrap the hair around the iron, in a spiral, focusing on covering one layer of hair over a section of the iron. Hold the iron for about 1 minutes, still straight up, and gently release. This is what I do to my hair.
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2004 at 4:30pm
Try usuing a curl-activating hairspray or mouse with that curling iron.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic