Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair vs short hair for Asians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aeryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aeryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair vs short hair for Asians
    Posted: January 03 2005 at 8:32pm
I noticed that some people swear by long hair because it's gorgeous and silky, while others prefer short hair. Do you think Asian hair is better suited long? Why or why not? It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 10:57am
it depens on attitude, face and clothes
ARGHH
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 2:28pm
I just read in your other post you want yours long. Long hair looks just gorgeous on asian people! Short can be cute too, it just depends on what you prefer on yourself.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 11:16am
Hi Aeryn

Ditto... there are a lot of variables, one of them being face shape. Another one being fine/coarse-ness of the hair strand. (When I used to have a short half-pixie, it tended to spike out and poof up. I blame the inflexibility of my individual hairs.)

The other big thing is your degree of perfectionism or lack thereof. Many Asian women stress over frizz issues, or "poofing" issues. If a person expects their hair to be perfect, a shorter cut will be more doable.. since hair warps with heat styling. Short hair is of course more easily replaced by new growth. Warping is more apparent in long hair... not to mention heat styling makes growing so much more difficult (risk of breakage, decrease in luster, etc.).

Personally I think long hair on Asian people tends to make the person look more traditional, which I like. Even long hair on guys to me looks rather traditional, like old Chinese movies.

Bleh, my face doesn't go with long hair but I'm inching for fingertip length anyway! :)

Happy growing and brightest blessings,
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 6:07am
I like Asian women in short hair, especially if it's kinda spiky and funky. It goes against the grain of the usual Asian women with very long hair or bobs, you know? Dyed hair can be cool, too, if the woman has a good skin tone to carry it off.
In all fairness, though, my preference probably has little to do with race or hair texture or anything, since I have a strong preference for short-haired women of all kinds. *shrugs*
More awesome than a manatee!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 6:50am
kuroneko,
This is off topic of this post, but about your signature ...have you tried lightening your hair to yellow, then using a blue dye with a little more of a purple look to it? The purple should counter the yellow and you should wind up blue.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 7:28am
Welcome back Kuroneko! I love y our hair!!!!!! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
trout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 9:43am
I agree its all about a traditional vs a funky look. Personally I think Asian women look a lot more interesting with a medium short, kind of scattered cut that can be worn in many ways. The long straight hair is really traditionally pretty, but also somewhat common and boring.

My wife is Filipina and just cut hers again after about 3 years long. She's getting a lot more attention. She's had everything from a very short pixie to mid back, blond to red to black. Overall I think between chin and shoulder with lots of layers and craziness is probably the best on her. As said the really short cuts tend to poof out.

Without stereotyping I think that there is lots of traditionalism in the way many Asian girls get their short hair cut as well. They go from traditional young woman long hair(long and silky) to a traditional moms short cut(blah and shapeless but easy to manage) and then decide short hair looks bad. A lot really does depend on the cut.
Carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:46am
How tragic that long hair was responsible for many tsunami deaths throughout Asia and the disproportional number of women killed by drowning in India.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3966010
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 7:51pm
How tragic that living in low-lying coastal areas was responsible for many tsunami deaths throughout Asia.

I don't know that I believe the premise offered by the reporter. They see the aftermath and make conclusions from it. How do they know the women weren't already dead, before their hair was caught in the brambles/tress? Lots of people with short hair died, too.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 12:04am
I haven't tried that before. I've done it in purpley or plummy shades before, though, and those looked okay. So even if it came out more purple than intended, it wouldn't be so bad.
Whether I bleach my hair before trying to put blue on or not, it's always gone green, though. It's just a matter of how strongly it shows up :-P . My hair is naturally brown, but I guess it must have a lot of yellow or golden tones in it, for that to happen.

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

kuroneko,
This is off topic of this post, but about your signature ...have you tried lightening your hair to yellow, then using a blue dye with a little more of a purple look to it? The purple should counter the yellow and you should wind up blue.
More awesome than a manatee!
SumoSamurai View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 7:15pm
Sometimes my hair tickles my neck when I laugh.

SamuraiJoe- designed by me, will be very popular movie/series in the future of the Stick World...
vijay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 7:20am
hai i am vijay haircare advicer and messur

really long hair gives great look for asian womens.especially saree

for saree costume long hair is good.many gents like long hair becoz it gives extra sext to ladies

Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 7:10pm
lmao. Long male hair gives sex to ladies?? ahaHaHAhAAHhAHAAHaHAAHAAHaHAHhAHAhAaHaAHAHaHAaHaHAAHaHAAHahaAHaHaALHAHaAHaHAHaAHaHlKDNwegWREagarelwhGKLREANGlkN

SamuraiJoe- designed by me, will be very popular movie/series in the future of the Stick World...
FunkiGyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunkiGyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:33am
lol!!!!!!

ANNNNNNNNNND getin bk 2 d topic... i luv short funki hair... mayb datz coz am 14? ANIWAYZ i h8 long hair coz ive got realli volumi hair n ma face lukz tini against it! i guezz i h8 asian ppl wiv longhair- NO OFFENCE - but i c dem n i no loadza ppl whu r reali typical - in ma famli- n say dat LONG HAIR iz a muzt n u cnt ave short... i aint allowd 2 cut ma hair - ma religion n itz 2 do wiv bein aisian az well. it sukz but i cut ma hair aniway but no1 actuali knowz i did...

am getin layerz nxt! just onz dat frame ma face
*TONI & GUY - next shampoo,
conditiona n serum n intense
conditioner am gna uze! let u no
how itl go buh itl tek a while 4 me 2
save up* BUT if any1z uzd it... let me no!
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:50pm
Not cutting your hair just because of your religion? BULLSH*T! You have the right to have your hair cut, or let it grow. It's your hair, it is part of your body, so no one can touch it without you permission. Well, I'm an Asian with not to long hair, medium length.

Also, you like short and funky hair, and you said it's probably because you're 14. That's another bullsh*t. lmao
aHAhAALHaHaHaHAAHAHaHAHSAHahAHaHDlkshkla!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic