Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ends Will Not Hold Color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ends Will Not Hold Color?
    Posted: February 22 2003 at 2:55pm
Hi,

I need help. The ends of my hair will not hold color. I use L'Oreal Feria and it works just great on my roots and most of my hair but the last 1 inch of my ends will either take the color and then fade almost immediately, or will not take the color at all. What is going on? I have always colored my own hair at home but this has never happened until recently.

Any suggestions?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 3:55pm
Hi,

I am not a color expert. You can find one through Haircolorist.com. I am a firm believer in going to a professional for hair color issues. For many years I was addicted to Clairol Nice N Easy. For the first years my hair looked great but over time it got totally fried and damaged. In 1988 I started going to a colorist who weaned me off the Clairol and got my hair in good shape by using Matrix Socolor to highlight rather than color the entire head of hair.

However, based on what I have heard from many colorists and from my extensive reading and studies... it is my opinion that the ends will not accept or hold color because they are too porous. This can happen for a variety of reasons including overlapping color on precolored strands too often, applying other chemical applications or from general hair damage.

Most colorists would probably suggest that you use a filler on your hair before you apply more color. Depending on the length that is not grabbing color, you might try a general trim of the ends. That might solve the problem. Or you might try using a filler before you color. The filler will resolve the porosity problems and allow you to add color on top of the filler that will hold.

You can also try coloring the porous ends w/out a filler by adding the same color but 1 or 2 shades darker. This may work.

Again....a lot depends on where the problem is...the very ends or the middle of the hair.

I personally think when homecolor goes by the boards that a good colorist is called for. But that is just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:19pm
Feria is weird, we have a hard time correcting mis-haps with this color.

Karen is right over lapping color, especially permanent color will make hair too porous. With feria I don't know if filler would work.??

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 2:21pm
Yes...it would be hard to use any type of filler with Feria. I agree. This is a matter for a color expert. It is somewhat possible that calling the L'Oreal toll free customer help line could net some additional help although I suspect that the damaged hair needs to either be removed or a professional needs to deal with.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 11:39pm
Don't forget proper products on the hair to protect it. The wrong shampoo can pull that color right back out or the hair.

It is always wise to protect your investment and purchase the products that your hairstylist reccomends for your hair. Salon products used properly really do make a HUGE difference.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Kae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2003 at 9:32pm
hey
I think it might be split ends. i'm not positive but that might be it. My sister Dyed her hair and its not as strong color near the end and she has bad split ends. you should think about cuting off the ends if there split. i did that and now my hair is better than ever.
Good luck
Kae
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic