Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want Dark Brown Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweetcheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetcheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want Dark Brown Hair
    Posted: March 12 2003 at 1:52pm
I have dark brown hair that is starting to gray. I have tried several hair colors that are natural medium brown. I was warned not to go dark brown because it might turn out black but the medium turns out too light or to red.

What should I use??? Any recommendations?
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 4:10pm
Sweet,

My natural hair color is on the darker side of medium brown and I now have about 15% grey. For years I've been using semi-permanent hair color (Natural Instincts) and this has been working well for me.

You are right, dark brown can be too dark. When I used dark brown, everyone said, "oh your hair looks nice in black". A good solution I discovered was mixing medium brown with dark brown. I use a mixture of 2/3 medium brown, 1/3 dark brown. It's just enough dark brown to darken up the medium. I use one of those plastic bottles with the measurements on it that you can get from any beauty supply store or website.

More recently, I've started using this same mixture ratio but with permanent hair color, because the semi was washing out too quickly. Now I use the permanent color about once every three months, with Natural Instincts in between colorings as needed. But even with the permanent color, I stick to the same medium brown mixed with dark brown formula. And now I only have to touch up the roots.

Natural Instincts has medium browns in golden, ash, and "natural", depending on the level of warmth you desire. If you don't want the red undertones, then choose ash. They are all lovely, though.

Elissa
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 8:37pm
I agree with Elissa...Good advise.

You are turning red because of the higher vol. peroxide in perm color. And putting it on your hair over and over you won't hold color as well in future.

The semi...most of the time is an excellent Idea...

and ....we have to mix 2 3 or more colors all of the time to achieve the look we want.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2003 at 8:44pm
Just alittle tip to remember,

When retouching this color or any color, DO NOT apply it to the mid-shaft and ends where you already have color. If you do, it just adds more color molecules on top of whats already there resulting in very dark hair. It is ok at the end of the time to add alittle water and shampoo and lather it (shampoo cap) and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse then shampoo again.

Hope this helps
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic