Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

please help with hair color!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pomme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: please help with hair color!
    Posted: April 16 2003 at 1:47pm
hi everyone, i am new to this board and i have a few questions. i would like to dye my hair with a semi-permanent gloss color. i would prefer to use a professional colorant, if at all possible.

what i am looking for is a very dark brown with a yellow tone. no red, no orange, no purple, no ash. is it even possible? my hair is dark brown at the moment. a neutral tone.

would it work to use a dark ash brown with a yellow kicker of some sort?

thank you so much, in advance!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by pomme pomme wrote:

hi everyone, i am new to this board and i have a few questions. i would like to dye my hair with a semi-permanent gloss color. i would prefer to use a professional colorant, if at all possible.

what i am looking for is a very dark brown with a yellow tone. no red, no orange, no purple, no ash. is it even possible? my hair is dark brown at the moment. a neutral tone.

would it work to use a dark ash brown with a yellow kicker of some sort?

thank you so much, in advance!

Hi Pomme; Dark brown can only have so much yellow. Since a true dark brown does have red.

In our professional color lines the darkest golden brown is a 5 level (if your familiar pro levels, it's a mid range brown...the lightest being 12 to the darkest...1)

Your Idea for the ash with the yellow kicker is a good one depending on what your ash base is...Is it blue or green? Green with more Yellow would work, I would think...definitely no red.

Keep in mind; there are only three colors,

Yellow
Red
Blue

And a true brown is made up of all three;
2 yellows
3 reds
1 blue
All browns are made up of a variations of these three.

What is your natural color?
How dark?
Any Highlights?
Any gray?

Keep in mind if you choose a dark ash brown with yellow kicker, in most cases, you will have a very dark green. And on any lighter hair that is what will come through.

pomme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 5:26pm
sophie! thank you for your answer. my natural color is a very dark brown with touches of red and gold. right now i'd say the last permanent color i used was in august. i've used a few semi-permanent no-ammonia dyes since. i have no gray and no highlights. my color right now is a sort of faded dark neutral brown. what i'm really after is something along the lines of a liv tyler / catherine zeta jones color. something that looks brown/black but with a nice bright glow to it in the light.

i have very limited experience with proffesional dyes. which is why i wanted to check them out. i certainly haven't found the color i'm looking for at the drugstore! :)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:39pm
Pomme,

Redken has a gorgeous semi/demi-permanent line, it's very glossy too: Shades EQ. I have had both 03NB (mocha java) and 03N (completely neutral dark brown). I was very happy with my results, it's a gorgeous product.

In any case, please let us know what you end up doing.

Elissa
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:59pm
Hi Pomme...I'm going to reccomend sticking with the semi-permanent color...here is why;

You will aways have red when you fade after a permanent color on a brunette because the 20 volume peroxide & ammonia changes your natural color forever.

In fact the only time I use 20 volume developer in my colors in the salon is when we are lifting ...or lightening.

All you want to do is deposit color (go darker)...So you don't need 20 vol... or ammonia.

You can bet that there is some red in those browns..liv tylor and Cath zeta... Red is part of what makes a dk brown rich...

If you want to counter act the red that is in your hair right now...dark green would do it ...but how would that be on your gold??

What is Natural Instincts darkest brown like??? That is a pretty color for over the counter color....If you go Pro I would consider the New Matrix Color Sync or good ole Redken Shades. Both beautiful.

Cheers
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:01pm
Elissa said it, either of those would be great.

NB is my fave..
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:33pm
Natural Instincts darkest brown is called Nutmeg, and it's gorgeous. But it's pretty dark (people called my hair black) and it never washed out of my hair--it grew out (I had roots).

There's also a color called Roasted Chestnut (dark warm brown), but I doubt she'd want the red/warmth. I never tried that one, though it sounds luscious in theory.
[/url]

pomme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:42pm
ok! i think i'll try the redken shades eq in 3nb first. i might layer some soft black underneath to try and add some sort of dimension.

thank you for the input everyone! more is always welcome, as i love to experiment!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:44pm
Pomme! Your face and hair are very pretty :) Glad to be able to "see" you.

Best of luck with the coloring, please let us know how it goes.

Elissa
[/url]

pomme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:47pm
thank you :)

i cut and color it myself, so i am always looking for advice. my poor hair is very fine though, have to be careful sometimes! i actually just cut a bit of bangs last week. i've got the whole amelie thing going on when i pin my hair up. lol!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 8:59pm
Pomme,

Are you naturally wavy? How did you get those pretty waves?
[/url]

pomme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 8:10am
elissa,

i actually have big fat shirley temple-esque ringlets. that picture was taken after driving to work in my winter hat! sorry i can't be of assistance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic