Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

L'Oreal Colour Expert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L'Oreal Colour Expert
    Posted: May 07 2003 at 8:51pm
Well gang I just did my first color correction for a client who used the new L'Oreal Colour Expert.

This gal is a beauty school student who tried it as a last minute "fun" thing to do. Her hair felt very dry, (it wasn't to begin with). Her hair, before the disaster, was a naturel level 4 with no previous color on it. She used "Ginger Twist" 6.4. Her hair turned out to be a "flaming red" with highlights that you had to look very close to actually see.

I corrected it by foil highlighting with 30 volume Redken Blonde Dimesions, with a low light of 7n fushion. I chose 7n because when you layer color on top of color it will only go darker. My goal was for it to be a level 5, which worked beautifully.

It came out really beautiful.

So, Buyer beware.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Joy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 12:26am
Hi! Well, personally I haven't tried that particular L'Oreal product. I regularly use the L'Oreal Preference and Excellence and am VERY pleased with the results I get from them both. I once tried another of their products though - can't remember which one offhand, and didn't like the effect. The Excellence and Preference haven't given me any weird colors. I've used them successfully and happily for over 2 years now. I have used the light auburn, lightest auburn, red penny, light reddish blonde, and reddish blonde. I'm currently sticking with the light reddish blonde.
Pam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:43pm
I just tried the L'Oreal Couleur Experte and suffice it to say will NOT be doing that again!! I purchased "Butterscotch Cream" and ended up with "carrot top supreme". Ugh. My advice: Don't go there. Full Stop. I have successfully coloured my hair at home before and have never had such disastrous results. Although it is not THAT bad I definitely did not intend to come out with a brassy head of hair! I've had better results from an at-home kit that cost 1/3 the price. Help!! What is the best at-home method to help my dilemna?
Shelcie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 7:43am
HI, I also used Loreal Colour Expert, cinnamon twist which was supposed to be a brown with cinnamon highlights you could add after. I didn't add the highlights because my hair is flaming red. I have colored successfully for years and have never run in to this problem....I am now waiting for my hairdresser to get in so I can call and beg to get in. I am so scared that she can't correct it!!
vanzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 7:30pm
i also tried this and the base color turned out okay but the highlights turned my hair orange (not what i was going for)
also it was not simple to just highlight some strands - mine came out all chunky and spotty and I had a friend do it
flipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 7:44pm
Hi!
Just read your post. Is there any way to highlight very dark hair to give it subtle highlights without getting that orangy underlying pigment? Should you always highlight to yellow and tone over? What about like a level 6 ash (majirel) with 30 vol.
developer on a level 3-4? Would that be strong enough to subdue the unnatural tones?
flipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 9:14pm
When you said you highlighted with blonde dimensions and low lighted with 7n...could you explain it to me? I'm not familiar with Redken. Did you foil her with a hi-lift and tone over? Ok wait. Did you give her blonde highlights and then just put the 7N over the rest of her hair to tone down the flame?
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2003 at 1:04pm
I have to agree.. the L'Oreal Colour Expert (red hair) dye was probably the worst I have ever used. :( I had problems just like what you described... though the bright orange actually did fade away with a couple washes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic