Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color dilemma - light or dark?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sunflowergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunflowergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color dilemma - light or dark?
    Posted: November 09 2004 at 4:44pm
Hi. :) I'm hoping to find some tips on what I should do about the color of my hair. I've always had a dirty blonde color that's naturally slightly lighter on the outter layers due to the sunlight. Over the summer I took a trip to the Bahamas and the outter layer turned to almost a champagne blonde within the 5 days I was there. It's grown back a couple inches now, and it's of course darker. I knew this would happen but I've been stuck on what to do. I'd like my hair to be the color it was back before the summer, but I know if I just wait and let it grow out at some point I'll end up having half very light hair and half almost brown. There's a girl I know who I'm guessing went through the same thing and just decided to let it grow out, but I don't think that's the path I want to take. I don't really want to dye it one way or the other, since at this point I don't think I'm ready to start dying my hair. Over the years it's become gradually darker, but not dark enough yet that there's a general need to color it. I care a lot about my hair, and I wouldn't want to damage it in any way by using tons of products to fix it without looking for suggestions first. :]

So er, if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. ^_^
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 7:23am
You sound like you really don't want to dye your hair, so don't. You could try Complements shampoo. They make an ash brown one that will just deposit pigment on your hair, making it blend better (and its just a shampoo with pigment in it, not chemicals, so it won't damage your hair). However, its a very ashy tone, so it depends on your coloration if that will look good on you or not. The ash brown is too ashy for me and it makes my skin look bad, but I know some dirty blondes who are enhanced by ash tones and look great, so it will depend on you.

Henna is another option, but if your hair has been at all bleached, its risky. Henna can turn bleached hair green that will not come out or be covered no matter what you do. If you do decide to try henna (since its good for hair and washes out in a few weeks, it might be a good option)...try a small test strand on hair that has been bleached the lightest to make sure it won't turn green (but that you can hide if it does turn green, or trim off). I suspect that if you only have sun bleaching, and no other bleaching done, henna would be fine for you, and if you test it first you should be fine.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic