Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

L'Oreal Casting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maynicholas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynicholas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L'Oreal Casting
    Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:29am
Hello all! Ah the joys of home coloring...
Here's my story: Way back in May I had highlights put in. Now at that point I had full color that had grown out by about three inches or so (natural lite brown turned to golden blond). It looked good. So come September the roots are pretty bad and it's fall, so I decide to use the L'Oreal casting in Lightest golden brown. It came out pretty red, but I liked it. A month goes by and I color it again with the same color. Looks good again, but I'm noticing that about three weeks after I dyed it the first time hair is looking dull and muddy. So come November I dye again with a neutral light brown to get rid of the red. It works. Well I haven't dyed in a while and the color never came out. Now my hair is dry and muddy looking. I am assuming that the color didn't come out because if my hightlights and the old dye (even though Casting is temporary and 'no ammonia').

Can anyone recommend a solution to getting the remaining color out of my hair? Is there something I can do myself, or must I go to a salon to have the color removed? I'd like to fix it myself, but I don't want to kill my hair. Any suggestions? Do you think the old highlights can be revealed so I can go to a salon and get them retouched or is all hope lost? Any 2 cents appreciated!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 7:51am
I would go to a salon.

You could try colorfix, but it's just as likely to come out yellow or orange as not, (If your hair were completely natural under the Castings, it may just remove the color, but the Castings may have had a lightening effect on your hair that will show up after colorfix. I know the Castings isn't supposed to use peroxide, but I'm unfamiliar with the product and haven't tried it myself, so I wouldn't want to suggest that the colorfix would make your hair look natural), after that you would be stuck dyeing your whole head.

At a salon, you can talk to them and decide exactly what you want...if it's highlights, then they can just give you highlights to brighten up any muddyness. If you do decide to have color removed instead, they'd do it and then they can dye it then and there and you'd be done with it.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynicholas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 9:08am
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought. I bought some Dawn dish soap to wash my hair with tonight. Does that really work?

So here's another question I'll put to all of you, could I do cap highlights at home? I realize that you can't get all the way to the root, but hey, they will grow out anyway so what's the difference? What volume developer would I use? And would I end up with brassy streaks? What is a good way to avoid that? I guess I could go to a salon, but I have super thick hair (it's only to my shoulders though) and it takes about 2 hours to foil my whole head. I don't like to subject myself or my hair dresser to that. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 7:37am
Originally posted by maynicholas maynicholas wrote:

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought. I bought some Dawn dish soap to wash my hair with tonight. Does that really work?

So here's another question I'll put to all of you, could I do cap highlights at home? I realize that you can't get all the way to the root, but hey, they will grow out anyway so what's the difference? What volume developer would I use? And would I end up with brassy streaks? What is a good way to avoid that? I guess I could go to a salon, but I have super thick hair (it's only to my shoulders though) and it takes about 2 hours to foil my whole head. I don't like to subject myself or my hair dresser to that. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

I would still go to a salon. They can do the cap for you if you'd rather not wait for foils, and they can keep them from coming out brassy.

The Dawn should help remove any of the temporary that's left if you wash repeatedly with it (afterwards I would condition really well because your hair will be very dry...you can use fatty mayonnaise (not miracle whip) and put it on your hair for an hour, then wash it out and condition as usual for a great conditioner).
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynicholas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 8:29am
Thanks Susan! I'll try the mayo thing too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic