Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Great Lengths Extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing Great Lengths Extensions
    Posted: November 09 2003 at 1:27pm
I had Great Lengths Extensions put in my hair less than a month ago. How can I get these awful things out? Does anyone know a home remedy? I live 7 hours away from the nearest place that does this type of extension and I don't want to have to travel just to get them out of my hair. I've heard that Everclear alcohol will help to break down the bond (glue). I paid $3,000 for these awful things and I want them out NOW!!
Budokan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budokan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 5:58pm
Sorry to hear about your problem. I am unfamiliar with these extensions but did find this interesting piece of information on a discussion board:

"They are stand by strand... the bonds look exactly like the tips of shoestrings only smaller. Unlike other methods I have used in the past where you heat the glue back up to remove it, this has a solution you apply which sucks the moisture out of the bonds so they crack and fall right out."

On the surface, it sounds like alcohol might actually work. Perhaps someone on the discussion board can better answer your question.

http://pub126.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm3.showMessage?topicID=6.topic

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.
Judi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2003 at 7:06pm
I'm looking for the same help with my extensions! What's the best way to remove them???
mlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 5:57pm
Ladies, I found the answer!! It sounds insane, but it worked perfectly to get my extensions out. It's a tedious process but it's worth it. Here's what you do:
Buy some grain alcohol from the liquor store. It's called Everclear. Put it in a spray bottle. Spray 2-3 of the bonds at a time. Rub the Everclear in for a few seconds, then take some needle nose pliars (make sure you don't get the kind with the wire cutters!) and mash the bond real good. Most of the extensions will come right out. Some will require you to repeat the process a couple times. Instead of paying $300 plus to have someone take them out for you, you'll spend a little more than $6.00 on a bottle of Everclear. It works great!!
jinxinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinxinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 8:55pm
Hi. I have been applying Great Lengths in my salon for about 5 years. I truly believe they are the one of the best systems out there today. The other day I had a consultation with a person who had GL applied at another salon in another state. What a nightmare. I felt sick. Up until then I was unaware that GL's could be so awful. This person paid a lot of money for a truly horrible application. I would like to make it so that salon & stylist will be unable to do any future applications of GL's. I have worked very hard to build a great reputation for myself and GL's and applications such as this give us all a bad name. If you have info about this kind of application, I would love to have it. Oh ya, about the GREAT LENGTH REMOVAL PROCESS? The method above, with Everclear, works. But use a paint brush instead of a spray bottle. Too much alcohol on hair could be drying, so just paint some directly on to the bonds.
saj
jinxinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinxinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 8:58pm
by the way. If Great Lengths are only one month old, the bonds should be very hard to remove. Have a lot of patience. Stop when you are tired and be very - very careful not to go too fast, get too frustrated and pull your hair out in the process. GL's are made to last an average of 6 months. At least my applications do.
saj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic